The expression of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) mRNA and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) mRNA were studied in muscle biopsies from five patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), six patients with other neuromuscular diseases and eight healthy control persons. All five patients with ALS had higher GDNF mRNA expressions in their biopsies than the healthy control group (almost a three fold increase). Among the other patients only one, who had a rapidly progressing toxic polyneuropathy, showed a GDNF mRNA expression above those of the controls. The BDNF mRNA expressions in the biopsies from the ALS patients were in the same range as those from the healthy controls, although the mean value of the ALS patients was higher. The only biopsy that showed a markedly higher BDNF mRNA expression was taken from one patient with progressive muscular atrophy. These results suggest that increased GDNF mRNA expression in muscle is an unspecific response to ongoing denervation and that this response is maintained in ALS, at least temporarily. If increased GDNF mRNA in muscle proves to be a constant finding in ALS the rationale for the use of GDNF as a therapeutic agent in ALS must be questioned.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Effects of astrocytes, insulin and insulin-like growth factor I on the survival of motoneurons in vitro.J Neurol Sci. 1992; 109: 168-172
- Treatment of motor neuron disease.in: Apfel S.C. In: Clinical applications of neurotrophic factors. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia1997: 128-141
- A unifying hypothesis for the cause of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, parkinsonism, and Alzheimer disease.Ann Neurol. 1981; 10: 499-505
- Survival effect of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) on chick embryonic motoneurons in culture: comparison with other neurotrophic factors and cytokines.J Neurosci. 1990; 10: 3507-3515
- El Escorial World Federation of Neurology criteria for the diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Subcommittee on Motor Neuron Diseases/Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis of the World Federation of Neurology Research Group on Neuromuscular Diseases and the El Escorial ‘Clinical limits of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis’ workshop contributors.J Neurol Sci. 1994; 124: 96-107
- Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor is an axonal chemoattractant and a neurotrophic factor for spinal motor neurons.Neuron. 1996; 17: 1157-1172
- GDNF: A potent survival factor for motoneurons present in peripheral nerve and muscle.Science. 1994; 266: 1062-1064
- ‘Semi-open’ muscle biopsy technique.A simple outpatient procedure. Acta Neurol Scand. 1979; 59: 317-323
- Evidence that fibroblast growth factor 5 is a major muscle-derived survival factor for cultured spinal motoneurons.Neuron. 1993; 10: 369-377
- Evidence that brain-derived neurotrophic factor is a trophic factor for motor neurons in vivo.Neuron. 1993; 10: 359-367
- Neurotrophin 4/5 is a trophic factor for mammalian facial motor neurons.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1994; 91: 3304-3308
- GDNF: a glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor for midbrain dopaminergic neurons.Science. 1993; 260: 1130-1132
- Therapeutic advances in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 1997; 18: 196-203
- Medical research council. Aids to the examination of the peripheral nervous system, memorandum. Baillière Tindall, Eastbourne1986
- The neurotrophins BDNF, NT-3 and NT-4/5, but not NGF, up-regulate the cholinergic phenotype of developing motor neurons.Eur J Neurosci. 1993; 5: 466-474
- Expression of glial cell line-derived growth factor mRNA in the spinal cord and muscle in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Neurosci Lett. 1996; 204: 117-120
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor rescues spinal motor neuros from axotomy-induced cell death.Nature. 1992; 360: 753-755
- In vivo neurotrophic effects of GDNF on neonatal and adult facial motor neurons.Nature. 1995; 373: 341-344
Accepted: November 24, 1998
Received in revised form: October 29, 1998
Received: June 19, 1998
© 1999 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.