Cytochrome P450IID6 (CYP2D6) plays an important role in the hepatic metabolism of various psychotropic drugs. We detected a mutation of the CYP2D6 gene in two patients who previously had episodes of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). They were homozygous for a mutated CYP2D6J allele conferring a poor-metabolizer phenotype. Possession of this trait may contribute to susceptibility to NMS.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Frequency and presentation of neuroleptic malignant syndrome in a large psychiatric hospital.Am. J. Psychiatry. 1983; 143: 1227-1233
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome: Observations on altered consciousness.Pharmacopsychiatry. 1987; 20: 168-170
- Is the predisposition to neuroleptic malignant syndrome genetically transmitted?.Br. J. Psychiatry. 1991; 158: 850-853
- CYP2D6 genotype and possible susceptibility to the neuroleptic malignant syndrome.Biol. Psychiatry. 1994; 36: 781-782
- Structural change in dopamine D2 receptor gene in a patient with neuroleptic malignant syndrome.Am. J. Med. Genet. 1995; 60: 228-230
- Molecular basis of genetic variation in debrisoquin hydroxylation in Chinese subjects: polymorphism in RFLP and DNA sequence of CYP2D6.Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 1993; 53: 410-418
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome and hydroxylase gene mutations: no association with CYP2D6A or B.Psychiatr. Genet. 1997; 7: 127-129
- The cytochrome P450 CYP2D6 allelic variant CYP2D6J and related polymorphisms in a European population.Pharmacogenetics. 1994; 4: 73-81
- Pharmacogenetic phenotyping and genotyping: present status and future potential.Clin. Pharmacokinet. 1994; 26: 59-70
- Identification of a new variant CYP2D6 allele with a single base deletion in exon 3 and its association with the poor metabolizer phenotype.Hum. Mol. Genet. 1994; 3: 923-926
- Genetically variable metabolism of antidepressants and neuroleptic drugs in man.Pharmacogenetics. 1993; 3: 61-70
- Debrisoquine/sparteine hydroxylation genotype and phenotype: analysis of common mutations and alleles of CYP2D6 in a European population.DNA Cell. Biol. 1991; 10: 545-558
Accepted: July 13, 1998
Received in revised form: July 9, 1998
Received: January 12, 1998
© 1998 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.