Group A β-hemolytic streptococcus causes immune-mediated disorders such as acute rheumatic fever and acute glomerulonephritis. We describe a second patient with Fisher's syndrome (FS) from whom β-hemolytic streptococcus was isolated. We performed a study of the antecedent pharyngeal symptoms in FS and Guillain-Barré syndrome. Sore throat was statistically more frequent in FS (18/24 cases, 75%) than in Guillain-Barré syndrome (29/58 cases, 50%). In a series, however, the association of FS with group A streptococcal infection was not shown. Some patients may develop FS after group A streptococcal infection, but the bacterium is not a major antecedent agent in FS.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Assessment of current diagnostic criteria for Guillain-Barré syndrome.Ann. Neurol. 1990; 27: S21-S24
- The Miller Fisher syndrome: review of the literature.J. Clin. Neuroophthalmol. 1992; 12: 57-63
- Close association of IgA anti-ganglioside antibodies with antecedent Campylobacter jejuni infection in Guillain-Barré and Fisher's syndromes.J. Neuroimmunol. 1998; 81: 138-143
- Miller Fisher syndrome associated with Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection: report of a case.Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg. 1994; 96: 96-99
- Relation of multiple cranial nerve dysfunction to the Guillain-Barré syndrome.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1965; 28: 115-120
- Campylobacter jejuni infection and Guillain-Barré syndrome.N. Engl. J. Med. 1995; 333: 1374-1379
Ropper AH, Wijdicks EFM, Truax BT. Guillain-Barré syndrome. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, 1991:18–21.
- Fisher's syndrome associated with chickenpox and anti-GQ1b antibody [letter].J. Neurol. 1995; 242: 255-256
Willet HP. Streptococcus. In: Joklink WK, Willett HP, Amos DB, Wilfert CM, editors. Zinsser Microbiology. 20th ed. Connecticut: Prentice-Hall International, 1992:417–31.
Accepted: May 22, 1998
Received in revised form: May 20, 1998
Received: February 27, 1998
© 1998 Elsevier Science B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.