- •Neural mechanisms underlying cognitive deficits in early PD remain unclear.
- •We investigated the relationship between structural and functional connectivity.
- •PD showed reduced functional connectivity during cognitive task performance.
- •No differences in structural connectivity were observed between HCs and PD.
- •The obtained results suggest that FC might precede neural degeneration in PD.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cognitive impairment in patients with Parkinson’s disease: diagnosis, biomarkers, and treatment.Lancet Neurol. 2012; 11: 697-707
- Evolution of cognitive dysfunction in an incident Parkinson’s disease cohort.Brain. 2007; 130: 1787-1798
- Subtypes of mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson’s disease: progression to dementia.Mov. Disord. 2006; 21: 1343-1349
- Neurotransmitter changes in dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson disease dementia in vivo.Neurology. 2010; 16: 885-892
- The contribution of neuroimaging for the study of cognitive deficits in Parkinson’s disease.Clin EEG Neurosci. 2010; 41: 76-81
- Quantitative electroencephalogram utility in predicting conversion of mild cognitive impairment to dementia with Lewy bodies.Neurobiol. Aging. 2015; 36: 434-445
- Quantitative EEG as a predictive biomarker for Parkinson disease dementia.Neurology. 2011; 12: 118-124
- Impaired early attentional processes in Parkinson’s disease: a high-resolution event-related potentials study.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0131654
- swLORETA: a novel approach to robust source localization and synchronization tomography.Phys. Med. Biol. 2007; 7: 1783-1800
Pascual-Marqui RD, Esslen M, Kochi K, Lehmann D. Functional imaging with low-resolution brain electromagnetic tomography (LORETA): a review. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 2002;24 Suppl C:91–95.
- Standardized low-resolution brain electromagnetic tomography (sLORETA): technical details.Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 2002; 24: 5-12
- Role of basal ganglia circuits in resisting interference by distracters: a swLORETA study.PLoS One. 2012; 7e34239
- Flanker task-elicited event-related potential sources reflect human recombinant erythropoietin differential effects on Parkinson’s patients.Parkinsons Dis. 2020; 2020: 8625794
- Spontaneous fluctuations in brain activity observed with functional magnetic resonance imaging.Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2007; 8: 700-711
- Dissociated neuronal phase- and amplitude-coupling patterns in the human brain.Neuroimage. 2020; 1116538
- Predicting human resting-state functional connectivity from structural connectivity.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2009; 10: 2035-2040
- Measuring brain connectivity: diffusion tensor imaging validates resting state temporal correlations.Neuroimage. 2008; 15: 554-561
- Axon degeneration in Parkinson’s disease.Exp. Neurol. 2013; 246: 72-83
- Compensatory mechanisms in Parkinson’s disease: circuits adaptations and role in disease modification.Exp. Neurol. 2017; 298: 148-161
- Identifying the functional brain network of Motor Reserve in Early Parkinson’s disease.Mov. Disord. 2020; 35: 577-586
- Structural and functional network dysfunction in Parkinson disease.Radiology. 2017; 285: 725-727
- Functional connectivity signatures of Parkinson’s disease.J. Parkinsons Dis. 2019; 9: 637-652
- Cognitive status correlates with white matter alteration in Parkinson’s disease.Hum. Brain Mapp. 2012; 33: 727-739
- White matter alteration of the cingulum in Parkinson disease with and without dementia: evaluation by diffusion tensor tract-specific analysis.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2012; 33: 890-895
- Alteration of brain structural connectivity in progression of Parkinson’s disease: a connectome-wide network analysis.Neuroimage Clin. 2021; 31102715
- Changes in anatomical and functional connectivity of Parkinson’s disease patients according to cognitive status.Eur. J. Radiol. 2015; 84: 1318-1324
- Movement Disorder Society-sponsored revision of the unified Parkinson’s disease rating scale (MDS-UPDRS): scale presentation and clinimetric testing results.Mov. Disord. 2008; 15: 2129-2170
- The Montreal cognitive assessment, MoCA: a brief screening tool for mild cognitive impairment.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2005; 53: 695-699
- Review on solving the inverse problem in EEG source analysis.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2008; 7: 25
- Source localization (LORETA) of the error-related-negativity (ERN/ne) and positivity (Pe).Brain Res. Cogn. Brain Res. 2004; 20: 294-299
- P300 amplitude and latency reflect arithmetic skill: an ERP study of the problem size effect.Biol. Psychol. 2019; 148107745
- Frontal theta as a mechanism for cognitive control.Trends Cogn. Sci. 2014; 18: 414-421
- Frontal theta predicts specific cognitive control-induced behavioural changes beyond general reaction time slowing.Neuroimage. 2019; 1: 130-140
- Modality-specific cognitive function of medial and lateral human Brodmann area 6.J. Neurosci. 2005; 12: 496-501
- A novel method of early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease based on EEG signals.ScientificWorldJournal. 2015; 2015931387
- Reliability of event-related EEG functional connectivity during visual entrainment: magnitude squared coherence and phase synchrony estimates.Psychophysiology. 2015; 52: 81-89
- Measuring phase synchrony in brain signals.Hum. Brain Mapp. 1999; 8: 194-208
- EEG based zero-phase phase-locking value (PLV) and effects of spatial filtering during actual movement.Brain Res. Bull. 2017; 130: 156-164
- An integrated approach to correction for off-resonance effects and subject movement in diffusion MR imaging.Neuroimage. 2016; 15: 1063-1078
- MR diffusion tensor spectroscopy and imaging.Biophys. J. 1994; 66: 259-267
- Microstructural and physiological features of tissues elucidated by quantitative-diffusion-tensor MRI. 1996.J. Magn. Reson. 2011; 213: 560-570
- PET-CT image registration in the chest using free-form deformations.IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging. 2003; 22: 120-128
- Recursive calibration of the fiber response function for spherical deconvolution of diffusion MRI data.Neuroimage. 2014; 1: 67-80
- Tract profiles of white matter properties: automating fiber-tract quantification.PLoS One. 2012; 7e49790
Y.Benjamini YH. Benjamini and Y FDR.pdf., 57 ed 1995:289–300.
- Clinical application of the P300 event-related brain potential.Phys. Med. Rehabil. Clin. N. Am. 2004; 15: 133-161
- P300 development across the lifespan: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 9e87347
- ERP measures of stimulus processing during an auditory oddball task in Parkinson’s disease: evidence for an early information processing deficit.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 1996; 2: 13-21
Johnson R J. On the neural generators of the P300 component of the event-related potential., 30 ed. 1993:90–97.
- False memory for context and true memory for context similarly activate the parahippocampal cortex.Cortex. 2017; 91: 79-88
- Infrequent, task-irrelevant monetary gains and losses engage dorsolateral and ventrolateral prefrontal cortex.Brain Res. 2011; 13: 53-61
- Large-scale brain networks of the human left temporal pole: a functional connectivity MRI study.Cereb. Cortex. 2015; 25: 680-702
- Changes in functional organization and white matter integrity in the connectome in Parkinson’s disease.Neuroimage Clin. 2017; 13: 395-404
- Structural connectivity differences in motor network between tremor-dominant and nontremor Parkinson’s disease.Hum. Brain Mapp. 2017; 38: 4716-4729
- Disruption of inferior longitudinal fasciculus microstructure in Parkinson’s disease: a systematic review of diffusion tensor imaging studies.Front. Neurol. 2018; 9: 598
- White and gray matter abnormalities in idiopathic rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder: a diffusion-tensor imaging and voxel-based morphometry study.Ann. Neurol. 2011; 69: 400-407
- Mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson’s disease is associated with a distributed pattern of brain white matter damage.Hum. Brain Mapp. 2014; 35: 1921-1929
Parkinson Progression Marker Initiative. The Parkinson Progression Marker Initiative (PPMI). Prog Neurobiol. 2011; 95(4):629–35. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pneurobio.2011.09.005.
- Diffusion tensor imaging in Parkinson’s disease and parkinsonian syndrome: a systematic review.Front. Neurol. 2020; 11531993
- Compensatory neural mechanisms in cognitively unimpaired Parkinson disease.Ann. Neurol. 2016; 79: 448-463
- A systematic review of prevalence studies of dementia in Parkinson’s disease.Mov. Disord. 2005; 20: 1255-1263
- Alterations in conflict monitoring are related to functional connectivity in Parkinson’s disease.Cortex. 2016; 82: 277-286
- Structural white matter alterations as compensatory mechanisms in Parkinson’s disease: a systematic review of diffusion tensor imaging studies.J. Neurosci. Res. 2020; 98: 1398-1416
- Early synaptic dysfunction in Parkinson’s disease: insights from animal models.Mov. Disord. 2016; 31: 802-813