- •Encephalopathy and leukoencephalopathy are the commonest clinico-radiologic features of capecitabine-related neurotoxicity.
- •Capecitabine-related neurotoxicity preponderated amongst females, but the clinico-radiologic features were similar in both genders.
- •Prognosis is excellent, and early recognition of neurotoxic symptoms and early cessation of capecitabine are important.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Future treatment options with capecitabine in solid tumours.Eur. J. Cancer. 2002; 38: S21-S25
- Toxic encephalopathy in elderly patients during treatment with capecitabine: literature review and a case report.J. Oncol. Pharm. Pract. Offl. Publ. Int. Soc. Oncol. Pharm. Pract. 2011; 17: 288-291
- Subacute reversible toxic encephalopathy related to treatment with capecitabine: a case report with literature review and discussion of pathophysiology.Neurotoxicology. 2014; 42: 8-11
- Toxic encephalopathy induced by capecitabine.Oncology 2004. 2004; 66: 331-335
- Capecitabine-induced cerebellar toxicity.Clin. Colorectal Cancer. 2006; 6: 70-71
- Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome (PRES) complicating newly-diagnosed diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.Clin. Lymphoma, Myeloma & Leukemia. 2014; 14: e111-e113
- Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome: a rare neurotoxicity after capecitabine.J. Oncol. Pharm. Pract. Offl. Publ. Int. Soc. Oncol. Pharm. Pract. 2020; 26: 1795-1801
- Teaching NeuroImages: transient mutism associated with splenium lesion in capecitabine-induced leukoencephalopathy.Neurology. 2019; 92: e1000-e1001https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000007012
- Capecitabine induces both cardiomyopathy and multifocal cerebral leukoencephalopathy.Int. Heart J. 2013; 54: 417-420
- Capecitabine-induced leukoencephalopathy.Intern. Med. 2019; 58: 621-622
- Capecitabine-induced leukoencephalopathy involving the bilateral corticospinal tracts.J. Radiol. Case Rep. 2016; 10: 1-10
- Capecitabine-related neurotoxicity presenting as trismus.Clin. Colorectal Cancer. 2003; 3: 121-123
- Capecitabine-induced multifocal leukoencephalopathy: a report of five cases.Neurology. 2005; 65 (discussion 1685): 1792-1794
- Acute reversible toxic encephalopathy during capecitabine and oxaliplatin treatment.J. Oncol. Pharm. Pract. Offl. Publ. Int. Soc. Oncol. Pharm. Pract. 2019; 25: 497-501
- Capecitabine-induced cerebellar toxicity in a patient with metastatic colorectal cancer.J. Oncol. Pharm. Pract. Offl. Publ. Int. Soc. Oncol. Pharm. Pract. 2010; 16: 277-279
- Capecitabine-induced cerebellar toxicity and TYMS pharmacogenetics.Anti-Cancer Drugs. 2019; 30: 431-434
- 5-fluorouracil can cross brain-blood barrier and cause encephalopathy: should we expect the same from capecitabine? A case report on capecitabine-induced central neurotoxicity progressing to coma.Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 2006; 58: 276-278
- Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome following chemotherapy with oxaliplatin and a fluoropyrimidine: a case report and literature review.Asia-Pacific J. Clin. Oncol. 2012; 8: 115-122
- Capecitabine-induced oromandibular dystonia: a case report and literature review.Acta Oncol. 2008; 47: 1161-1165
- Oxaliplatin-induced posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome with isolated involvement of pons.J. Cancer Res. Ther. 2015; 11: 1022
- First-line oral capecitabine therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: a favorable safety profifile compared with intravenous 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin.Ann. Oncol. 2002; 13: 75
- 5-FU multifocal inflammatory leukoencephalopathy and dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency.Neurology. 2001; 56: 110-112
- Toxic encephalopathy.Saf. Health Work. 2012; 3: 243-256
- Comparative pharmacology of oral fluoropyrimidines: a focus on pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and pharmacomodulation.Br. J. Cancer. 2004 Aug 16; 91: 613-617
- Differences in toxicity between men and women treated with 5-fluorouracil therapy for colorectal carcinoma.Cancer. 2005; 103: 1165-1171
- Higher capecitabine AUC in elderly patients with advanced colorectal cancer (SWOGS0030).Br. J. Cancer. 2013; 109: 1744-1749https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2013.517
- Influence of sex and age on fluorouracil clearance.J. Clin. Oncol. 1992; 10: 1171-1175https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19188.8.131.521