- •The course in toxic leukoencephalopathy (TL) from substance abuse is variable with a high rate of mortality and disability.
- •Across cases in the literature, the majority of cases of acute TL are associated with opiate abuse.
- •A subgroup of patients had partial or full recovery, suggesting that leukotoxic injury may be reversible in some cases.
- •Recovery is often protracted for survivors of acute TL, an important factor that influences shared medical decision-making.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Toxic leukoencephalopathy.N. Engl. J. Med. 2001; 345: 425-432
- The expanding prominence of toxic leukoencephalopathy.J. Neuropsychiatr. Clin. Neurosci. 2017; 29: 308-318
- Leukoencephalopathy and raised brain lactate from heroin vapor inhalation (“chasing the dragon”).Neurology. 1999; 53: 1765
- Chasing “chasing the dragon” with MRI: leukoencephalopathy in drug abuse.Br. J. Radiol. 2005; 78: 997-1004
- Heroin-induced leukoencephalopathy: characterization using MRI, diffusion-weighted imaging, and MR spectroscopy.Clin. Radiol. 2008; 63: 146-152
- Acute toxic leukoencephalopathy: potential for reversibility clinically and on MRI with diffusion-weighted and FLAIR imaging.Am. J. Roentgenol. 2009; 193: 192-206
- White matter hyperintensity regression: comparison of brain atrophy and cognitive profiles with progression and stable groups.Brain Sci. 2019; 9
- Glycolytic oligodendrocytes maintain myelin and long-term axonal integrity.Nature. 2012; 485: 517-521
- The fate and function of oligodendrocyte progenitor cells after traumatic spinal cord injury.Glia. 2020; 68: 227-245
- A TLR/AKT/FoxO3 immune tolerance–like pathway disrupts the repair capacity of oligodendrocyte progenitors.J. Clin. Invest. 2018; 128: 2025-2041
- Digestion products of the PH20 hyaluronidase inhibit remyelination.Ann. Neurol. 2013; 73: 266-280
- Hyaluronan blocks oligodendrocyte progenitor maturation and remyelination through TLR2.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2010; 107: 11555-11560
- The changing opioid crisis: development, challenges and opportunities.Mol. Psychiatry. 2021; 26: 218-233
- Nonmedical prescription opioid use and use disorders among adults aged 18 through 64 years in the United States, 2003-2013.Jama. 2015; 314: 1468-1478
- The COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on substance use: implications for prevention and treatment.Psychiatry Res. 2020; 289: 113096
- Scoping studies: towards a methodological framework.Int. J. Soc. Res. Methodol. 2005; 8: 19-32
- Guidance for conducting systematic scoping reviews.JBI Evid. Implement. 2015; 13: 141-146
- Acute toxic leukoencephalopathy: etiologies, imaging findings, and outcomes in 101 patients.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2019; 40: 267-275
- CARE guidelines for case reports: explanation and elaboration document.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2017; 89: 218-235
- Matrix analysis as a complementary analytic strategy in qualitative inquiry.Qual. Health Res. 2002; 12: 855-866
- Recurrent leukoencephalopathy in a cocaine abuser.Neurotoxicology. 2011; 32: 410-412
- Toxic leucoencephalopathy after use of sniffed heroin, an unrecognized form of beneficial evolution.Rev. Neurol. (Paris). 2012; 168: 57-64
- Methadone-induced toxic leukoencephalopathy: MR imaging and MR proton spectroscopy findings.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2010; 31: 565-566
- Toxic leukoencephalopathy presenting as lethal catatonia.J. Addict. Med. 2019; 13: 241-244
- Toxic leukoencephalopathy after intravenous heroin injection: a case with clinical and radiological reversibility.J. Neurol. 2010; 257: 1924-1926
- Altered mental status: a case report of toxic leukoencephalopathy following heroin exposure.J. Addict. Med. 2020; 14: e375-e377
- Toxic leukoencephalopathy after intravenous consumption of heroin and cocaine with unexpected clinical recovery.J. Neurol. 1999; 246: 850-851
- Chasing the wrong dragon: a new presentation of heroin-induced toxic leukoencephalopathy mimicking anoxic brain injury.J. Intensive Care Soc. 2019; 20: 80-85
- Chasing the dragon - characterizing cases of leukoencephalopathy associated with heroin inhalation in British Columbia.Harm Reduct. J. 2011; 8: 3
- Fatal toxic leukoencephalopathy associated with consumption of pasta base of cocaine: report of three cases.Rev. Med. Chil. 2015; 143: 1484-1489
- Different routes of heroin intake cause various heroin-induced leukoencephalopathies.J. Neurol. 2019; 266: 316-329
- Toxic leukoencephalopathy in the intensive care unit.Anaesth. Intensive Care. 2014; 42: 782-788
- Fatal toxic leukoencephalopathy: clinical, radiological, and necropsy findings in two patients.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2005; 76: 1014-1016
- Delayed leukoencephalopathy: three case reports and a literature review.Eur. J. Case Rep. Intern. Med. 2017; 4000511
- Toluene abuse causes diffuse central nervous system white matter changes.Ann. Neurol. 1988; 23: 611-614
- Axonal damage: a key predictor of outcome in human CNS diseases.Brain. 2003; 126: 515-530
- Axonal pathology in multiple sclerosis. A historical note.Brain Pathol. 1999; 9: 651-656
- Remyelination in the CNS: from biology to therapy.Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2008; 9: 839-855
- Harm reduction therapy: a practice-friendly review of research.J. Clin. Psychol. 2010; 66: 201-214
- Facing Addiction in America: The Surgeon General's Report on Alcohol, Drugs, and Health.
- Clinical and MRI characteristics of levamisole-induced leukoencephalopathy in 16 patients. J neuroimaging 2009;13:326-331.J. Neuroimaging. 2011; 21 (e188)