- •Evidence of early-onset PD (EOPD) vs mid-and-late-onset (MLOPD) in Greece is scant.
- •50 years of age at onset is the usual cut-off point for EOPD.
- •EOPD is more frequently associated with dystonia and motor complications.
- •Bilateral onset and autonomic dysfunction are more frequently associated with MLOPD.
- •These differences shed more light on understanding EOPD vs MLOPD pathophysiology.
Abbreviations:CSF (cerebrospinal fluid), EOPD (early-onset Parkinson's disease), HBPD (Hellenic Biobank of Parkinson's disease), LEDD (levodopa equivalent daily dose), LOPD (late-onset Parkinson's disease), MLOPD (mid-and-late-onset Parkinson's disease), MMSE (Mini-Mental State Exam), PD (Parkinson's disease), PPMI (Parkinson's Progression Markers Initiative), OR (Odds Ratio), UPDRS III (Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale III)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Young-onset Parkinson’s disease: a clinical review.Neurology. 1991; 41: 168-173
- Early-onset vs. late-onset Parkinson’s disease: a clinical-pathological study.Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 2016; 43: 113-119
- Old-onset Parkinson’s disease compared with young-onset disease: clinical differences and similarities.Acta Neurol. Scand. 1994; 89: 258-261
- The effect of onset age on the clinical features of Parkinson’s disease.Eur. J. Neurol. 2009; 16: 450-456
- The motor phenotype of Parkinson’s disease in relation to age at onset.Movement Disorders: Off. J. Move. Disorder Soc. 2011; 26: 457-463
- Gender and onset age-related features of non-motor symptoms of patients with Parkinson’s disease--a study from Southwest China.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2013; 19: 961-965
- Young- versus older-onset Parkinson’s disease: impact of disease and psychosocial consequences.Movement Disorders: Off. J. Move. Disorder Soc. 2003; 18: 1250-1256
- Age at onset and Parkinson disease phenotype.Neurology. 2016; 86: 1400-1407
- Clinical study of 668 Indian subjects with juvenile, young, and early onset Parkinson’s disease.Can. J. Neurol. Sci. Le J. Can. des Sci. Neurol. 2022; 49: 93-101
- Effect of onset age on the levodopa threshold dosage for dyskinesia in Parkinson’s disease.Neurol. Sci. 2022; 43: 3165-3174
- DaTSCAN (123I-FP-CIT SPECT) imaging in early versus mid and late onset Parkinson’s disease: longitudinal data from the PPMI study.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2020; 77: 36-42
- Early-onset parkinsonism and early-onset Parkinson’s disease: a population-based study (2010-2015).J. Parkinsons Dis. 2021; 11: 1197-1207
- Comparing clinical features of young onset, middle onset and late onset Parkinson’s disease.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2014; 20: 530-534
- The heterogeneity of Parkinson’s disease: clinical and prognostic implications.Neurology. 1985; 35: 522-526
- Clinical and pharmacological differences in early- versus late-onset Parkinson’s disease.Movement Disorders: Off. J. Move. Disorder Soc. 1997; 12: 277-284
- Clinical observations in early and late onset Parkinson’s disease.Funct. Neurol. 1991; 6: 145-149
- The relationship between environmental factors and different Parkinson’s disease subtypes in Greece: data analysis of the Hellenic biobank of Parkinson’s disease.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2019; 67: 105-112
- Diagnostic criteria for Parkinson disease.Arch. Neurol. 1999; 56: 33-39
- Systematic review of levodopa dose equivalency reporting in Parkinson’s disease.Movement Disorders: Off. J. Move. Disorder Soc. 2010; 25: 2649-2653
- Genetic assessment of familial and early-onset Parkinson’s disease in a Greek population.Eur. J. Neurol. 2014; 21: 963-968
- beta-Glucocerebrosidase gene mutations in two cohorts of Greek patients with sporadic Parkinson’s disease.Mol. Genet. Metab. 2011; 104: 149-152
- Factors influencing the development of early- or late-onset Parkinson’s disease in a cohort of south African patients.S. Afr. Med. J. 2012; 102: 848-851
- Dystonia in Parkinson’s disease.J. Neurol. 2006; 253 (VII7–13)
- Clinical spectrum of dopa-responsive dystonia and related disorders.Curr. Neurol. Neurosci. Rep. 2014; 14: 461
- Distinct patterns of speech disorder in early-onset and late-onset de-novo Parkinson’s disease.NPJ Parkinson’s Dis. 2021; 7: 98
- Hemispheric asymmetry in the human brain and in Parkinson’s disease is linked to divergent epigenetic patterns in neurons.Genome Biol. 2020; 21: 61
- Phenotypic characteristics in GBA-associated Parkinson’s disease: a study in a Greek population.J. Parkinsons Dis. 2018; 8: 101-105
- Association between early-onset Parkinson’s disease and mutations in the parkin gene.N. Engl. J. Med. 2000; 342: 1560-1567
- A comparison of clinical and pathological features of young- and old-onset Parkinson’s disease.Neurology. 1988; 38: 1402-1406
- Relationship between age and subtypes of psychotic symptoms in Parkinson’s disease.J. Neurol. 2007; 254: 448-452
- Risk factors in development of motor complications in Chinese patients with idiopathic Parkinson’s disease.J. Clin. Neurosci. 2009; 16: 1034-1037
- Early-onset Parkinson’s disease.Movement Disorders: Off. J. Move. Disorder Soc. 1991; 6: 36-42
- Early development of levodopa-induced dyskinesias and response fluctuations in young-onset Parkinson’s disease.Neurology. 1991; 41: 202-205