- •Automated nystagmus detection is an important first step toward automated diagnosis of vestibular disorders.
- •The automated nystagmus detection by current algorithms is accurate with real-world clinical data.
- •But the low positive predictive value (PPV) in the clinical settings with low nystagmus prevalence limits its utility.
- •Combination of multiple parameters of different algorithms may further improve the accuracy of nystagmus detection.
Abbreviations:VOG (video-oculography), SPV (slow-phase velocity), ROC (receiver operating characteristic), AUC (area under curve), VOR (vestibulo-ocular reflex), PPV (positive predictive value), NPV (negative predictive value)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The Neurology of Eye Movements.5 ed. Oxford University Press, 2015
- HINTS to diagnose stroke in the acute vestibular syndrome: three-step bedside oculomotor examination more sensitive than early MRI diffusion-weighted imaging.Stroke. 2009; 40: 3504-3510
- Video-oculography as part of the ENG battery.Br. J. Audiol. 1998; 32: 411-416
- Acute transient vestibular syndrome: prevalence of stroke and efficacy of bedside evaluation.Stroke. 2017; 48: 556-562
- Quantitative video-oculography to help diagnose stroke in acute vertigo and dizziness: toward an ECG for the eyes.Stroke. 2013; 44: 1158-1161
- Capturing acute vertigo: a vestibular event monitor.Neurology. 2019; 92: e2743-e2753
- Diagnostic Impact of a Device-Enabled Remote “Tele-Dizzy” Consultation Service Diagnostic Error in Medicine, 12th Annual Conference, Washington, D.C..2019
- Improved algorithm for classification of ocular nystagmus.Conf. Proc. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. 2006; 2004: 534-537
- Algorithms for the clinical analysis of nystagmus eye movements.IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 1981; 28: 638-646
- Computer analysis of induced vestibular nystagmus. Rotatory stimulation of normal cats.Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 1971; 53: 7-25
- Stroke prediction based on the spontaneous nystagmus suppression test in dizzy patients: a diagnostic accuracy study.Neurology. 2021; 97: e42-e51
- Initial directions and landing positions of binocular saccades.Vis. Res. 1995; 35: 3297-3303
- Saccades and microsaccades during visual fixation, exploration, and search: foundations for a common saccadic generator.J. Vis. 2008; 8: 1-18
- Detection of Saccades and Quick-Phases in Eye Movement Recordings with Nystagmus, 2020 Symposium on Eye Tracking Research and Applications, Stuttgart, Germany.2020
- An automated segmentation approach to calibrating infantile nystagmus waveforms.Behav. Res. Methods. 2019; 51: 2074-2084
- An automatic saccadic eye movement detection in an optokinetic nystagmus signal.Biomed Tech (Berl). 2014; 59: 529-543
- A new method of saccadic eye movement detection for optokinetic nystagmus analysis.Ann. Int. Conf. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. 2012; 2012: 3464-3467
- Vestibular function in patients with Niemann-pick type C disease.J. Neurol. 2016; 263: 2260-2270
- Estimation of the degree of autism spectrum disorder by the slow phase of optokinetic nystagmus in typical adults.Heliyon. 2021; 7e07751
- Data mining: a preprocessing engine.J. Comput. Sci. 2006; 2: 735-739
- Pupil tracking using active contour model for videonystagmography, applications[C].in: Image Processing, Applications and Systems Conference. IEEE, 2015: 1-5
- The Elements of Statistical Learning.2 ed. Springer-Verlag, 2009
- Slow horizontal eye movement at human sleep onset.J. Sleep Res. 2004; 13: 239-249
- Quantifying the vestibulo-ocular reflex with video-oculography: nature and frequency of artifacts.Audiol. Neurootol. 2015; 20: 39-50
- Normal square wave jerks.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 1981; 20: 268-272
- Characteristics of saccadic intrusions.Vis. Res. 2004; 44: 2675-2690
- Human-level saccade detection performance using deep neural networks.J. Neurophysiol. 2019; 121: 646-661
- Unsupervised clustering method to detect microsaccades.J. Vis. 2014; 14
- An investigation into the diagnostic accuracy, reliability, acceptability and safety of a novel device for continuous ambulatory vestibular assessment (CAVA).Sci. Rep. 2019; 9: 10452