- •Optic nerve sheath dilation follows a logarithmic time course.
- •Sheath diameters (ONSD) correlate to applied subarachnoid pressure levels.
- •Dilation starts rapidly (10–20 s) and saturates after 200 s.
- •Relative changes of ONSD may be a future target for neuromonitoring.
Abbreviations:ON (optic nerve;), ONSD (optic nerve sheath diameter), ICP (intracranial pressure), SAS (subarachnoid space), CSF (cerebrospinal fluid), SD (standard deviation), ME (modulus of elasticity)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pathogenesis of oedema of the optic disc.Doc. Ophthalmol. 1968; 24: 289-411
- Optic nerve sheath enlargement in acute intracranial hypertension.Neuro-Ophthalmology. 1994; 14: 345-354
- Fundamentals of transorbital sonographic evaluation of optic nerve sheath expansion under intracranial hypertension. II: patient study.Pediatr. Radiol. 1996; 26: 706-710
- Validation of the optic nerve sheath response to changing cerebrospinal fluid pressure: ultrasound findings during intrathecal infusion tests.J. Neurosurg. 1997; 87: 34-40
- A prospective study of optic nerve ultrasound for the detection of elevated intracranial pressure in severe traumatic brain injury.Crit. Care Med. 2020 Dec; 48: e1278-e1285https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000004689
- Sonography of the optic nerve sheath diameter for detection of raised intracranial pressure compared to computed tomography: a systematic review and Meta-analysis.J. Ultrasound Med. 2015; 34: 1285-1294
- The optic nerve: a new window into cerebrospinal fluid composition?.Brain. 2006; 129: 1027-1030
- Dependence of the optic nerve sheath diameter on acutely applied subarachnoidal pressure - an experimental ultrasound study.Acta Ophthalmol. 2011; 89: e528-e532
- Comparison of accuracy of optic nerve ultrasound for the detection of intracranial hypertension in the setting of acutely fluctuating vs stable intracranial pressure: post-hoc analysis of data from a prospective, blinded single center study.Crit. Care. 2012 May 11; 16: R79https://doi.org/10.1186/cc11336
- Ultrasonography of the optic nerve sheath may be useful for detecting raised intracranial pressure after severe brain injury.Intensive Care Med. 2007; 33: 1704-1711
- Optic nerve ultrasound – update 2020.Klin Neurophysiol. 2020; 51: 201-213
- Up to what time post mortem may allogeneic veins be removed for use as blood vessel replacements.Vasa. 1979; 8: 122-128
- Optic nerve sheath diameter: the next steps.Intensive Care Med. 2019; 45: 1842-1843
- Optic nerve sheath responses to pressure variations.Intensive Care Med. 2019; 45: 1840-1841
- Ultrastructure of the extracellular matrix of bovine dura mater, optic nerve sheath and sclera.J. Anat. 1992; 181: 181-187
- Increased intracranial pressure damages optic nerve structural support.J. Neurotrauma. 2019; 26: 3132-3137
- Relationship of “dose” of intracranial hypertension to outcome in severe traumatic brain injury.J. Neurosurg. 2008; 109: 678-684
- Optic nerve sheath viscoelastic properties: re-examination of biomechanical behavior and clinical implications.Neurocrit. Care. 2022; (2022 (online March 2nd)https://doi.org/10.1007/s12028-022-01462-x)
- Optic nerve sheath diameter measurement for predicting raised intracranial pressure in adult patients with severe traumatic brain injury: a meta-analysis.J. Crit. Care. 2020 Apr; 56: 182-187https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2020.01.006
- Morphometry of the retrobulbar human optic nerve: comparison between conventional sonography and ultrafast magnetic resonance sequences.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007 May; 48: 1913-1917https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.06-1075
- Optic nerve sheath diameter changes in children with varying degrees of intracranial pressure.Crit. Care Med. 2020; 48: S33https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ccm.0000618632.18007.3d
- Sonographic and ophthalmic assessment of optic nerve in patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension: a longitudinal study.J. Neurol. Sci. 2021; 430118069https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2021.118069