- •Segmental stenosis of major cerebral arteries was found at acute phase of MELAS.
- •SLE lesions were located within the stenotic arteries territory.
- •Dilation at distal portions of the stenotic arteries was also observed.
- •Stenosis was resolved after the acute stage of SLE.
- •Reversible constriction of cerebral arteries may participate in SLE of MELAS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- MELAS: a nationwide prospective cohort study of 96 patients in Japan.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2012; 1820: 619-624
- Perfusion status of the stroke-like lesion at the hyperacute stage in MELAS.Brain and Development. 2013; 35: 158-164
- Neuronal hyperexcitability in stroke-like episodes of MELAS syndrome.Neurology. 2002; 59: 816-824
- Mitochondrial angiopathy in cerebral blood vessels of mitochondrial encephalomyopathy.Acta Neuropathol. 1987; 74: 226-233
- Stroke-like episode involving a cerebral artery in a patient with MELAS.Pediatr. Neurol. 2005; 33: 70-71
- MELAS and reversible vasoconstriction of the major cerebral arteries.Intern. Med. 2013; 52: 1389-1392
- Reversible dilation of cerebral macrovascular changes in MELAS episodes.Clin. Neuroradiol. 2019; 29: 321-329
- Vasodilatation of multiple cerebral arteries in early stage of stroke-like episode with MELAS.J. Clin. Neurosci. 2015; 22: 407-408
- A mutation in the tRNA(Leu)(UUR) gene associated with the MELAS subgroup of mitochondrial encephalomyopathies.Nature. 1990; 348: 651-653
- Molecular pathology of MELAS and L-arginine effects.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2012; 1820: 608-614
- Mitochondrial threshold effects.Biochem. J. 2003; 370: 751-762
- MELAS: clinical phenotype and morphological brain abnormalities.Acta Neuropathol. 2003; 106: 202-212
- Vascular involvement in the pathogenesis of mitochondrial encephalomyopathies.Neurol. Res. 2010; 32: 403-408
- Cerebral blood flow and oxygen metabolism before and after a stroke-like episode in patients with mitochondrial myopathy, encephalopathy, lactic acidosis and stroke-like episodes (MELAS).J. Neurol. Sci. 1998; 158: 58-64
- Detection of preclinically latent hyperperfusion due to stroke-like episodes by arterial spin-labeling perfusion MRI in MELAS patients.Mitochondrion. 2013; 13: 676-680
- Aortic rupture in mitochondrial encephalopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like episodes.Arch. Neurol. 2006; 63: 281-283
- Endothelial dysfunction in MELAS improved by l-arginine supplementation.Neurology. 2006; 66: 1766-1769
- Arginine and citrulline for the treatment of MELAS syndrome.J Inborn Errors Metab Screen. 2017; 5
- Hypocitrullinemia in patients with MELAS: an insight into the “MELAS paradox”.J. Neurol. Sci. 2005; 229-230: 187-193
- Impaired nitric oxide production in children with MELAS syndrome and the effect of arginine and citrulline supplementation.Mol. Genet. Metab. 2016; 117: 407-412
- Therapeutic regimen of L-arginine for MELAS: 9-year, prospective, multicenter, clinical research.J. Neurol. 2018; 265: 2861-2874
- Growth differentiation factor 15 as a useful biomarker for mitochondrial disorders.Ann. Neurol. 2015; 78: 814-823
- Growth differentiation factor 15 is a novel diagnostic biomarker of mitochondrial diseases.Mol. Neurobiol. 2017; 54: 8110-8116
- Dynamic derangement in amino acid profile during and after a stroke-like episode in adult-onset mitochondrial disease: a case report.J. Med. Case Rep. 2019; 13: 313
- Vascular involvement in a patient with mitochondrial myopathy, encephalopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like episodes.Am J Med Sci. 2005; 329: 265-266
- Overexpression of TNF-α in mitochondrial diseases caused by mutations in mtDNA: evidence for signaling through its receptors on mitochondria.Free Radic. Biol. Med. 2013; 63: 108-114
- Reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndromes and primary angiitis of the central nervous system: clinical, imaging, and angiographic comparison.Ann. Neurol. 2016; 79: 882-894
- Late onset MELAS with m.3243A > G mutation and its association with aneurysm formation.Metab. Brain Dis. 2017; 32: 1069-1072
- Mitochondrial m.3243A > G mutation and carotid artery dissection.Mol Genet Metab Rep. 2016; 9: 12-14
- Progressive carotid artery stenosis with a novel tRNA phenylalanine mitochondrial DNA mutation.J. Neurol. Sci. 2009; 278: 35-40
- Macroangiopathy is a typical phenotypic manifestation of MELAS.Metab. Brain Dis. 2017; 32: 977-979