- •Electron microscopic observations suggest that both patients present lesions in favor of a paranodopathy.
- •Some paranodes seem to be associated with macrophages.
- •These lesions are in favor of a complement-mediated dysfunction/disruption of the nodal region.
- •This may be due to antibodies against gangliosides which are mainly located at the level of the paranode (axolemma).
- •Miller Fisher syndrome and CANDA should be classified as paranodopathies.
Study design and setting
Abbreviations:AIDP (acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy), AMAN (Acute Motor Axonal Neuropathy), AMSAN (Acute Motor and Sensory Neuropathy), CANDA (chronic ataxic neuropathies with disialosyl antibodies), CANOMAD (chronic ataxic neuropathy, ophthalmoplegia, IgM paraprotein), CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy), EM (electron microscopy), ENMG (electroneuromyogram), GBS (Guillain-Barré syndrome), IV (index value), MAC (membrane attack complex), MFS (Miller Fisher syndrome), MGUS (Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Acute and chronic ataxic neuropathies with disialosyl antibodies: a continuous clinical spectrum and a common pathophysiological mechanism.Muscle Nerve. 2014; 49: 629-635
- Ultrastructural lesions of nodo-paranodopathies in peripheral neuropathies.J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2020; 79: 247-255
- European academy of neurology/peripheral nerve society guideline on diagnosis and treatment of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy: report of a joint task force-second revision.Eur. J. Neurol. 2021; 28: 3556-3583
- Nodal proteins are target antigens in Guillain-Barré syndrome.J. Peripher. Nerv. Syst. 2012; 17: 62-71
- Quantitative techniques.in: Bilbao J.M. Schmidt R.E. Biopsy Diagnosis of Peripheral Neuropathy. Springer, New York2014: 43-50
- An unusual variant of acute idiopathic polyneuritis (syndrome of ophthalmoplegia, ataxia and areflexia).N. Engl. J. Med. 1956; 255: 57-65
- Polyneuropathy with monoclonal gammopathy: glycolipids are frequently antigens for IgM paraproteins.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 1985; 82: 6697-6700
- Role of transverse bands in maintaining paranodal structure and axolemmal domain organization in myelinated nerve fibers: effect on longevity in dysmyelinated mutant mice.J. Comp. Neurol. 2010; 518: 2841-2853
- Antiganglioside antibodies in acute self-limiting ataxic neuropathy: incidence and significance.J. Neuroimmunol. 2001; 120: 78-83
- Special sensory ataxia in Miller Fisher syndrome detected by postural body sway analysis.Ann. Neurol. 1999; 45: 533-536
- Anti-GQ1b ganglioside positive Miller Fisher syndrome - evidence of paranodal pathology on nerve biopsy.J. Neuromuscul. Dis. 2014; 1: 191-195
- Antibody- and macrophage-mediated segmental demyelination in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy: clinical, electrophysiological, immunological and pathological correlates.Eur. J. Neurol. 2020; 27: 692-701
- Serum IgG antibody to ganglioside GQ1b is a possible marker of Miller Fisher syndrome.Ann. Neurol. 1992; 31: 677-679
- Anti-GM1 antibodies cause complement-mediated disruption of sodium channel clusters in peripheral motor nerve fibers.J. Neurosci. 2007; 27: 3956-3967
- The distribution of ganglioside-like moieties in peripheral nerves.Brain. 1999; 122: 449-460
- Gangliosides contribute to stability of paranodal junctions and ion channel clusters in myelinated nerve fibers.Glia. 2007; 55: 746-757
- Antiglycolipid antibodies in Guillain-Barré and Fisher syndromes: discovery, current status and future perspective.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2021; 92: 311-318
- New classification of autoimmune neuropathies based on target antigens and involved domains of myelinated fibres.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2021; 93: 57-67
- Antecedent infections in Fisher syndrome: a common pathogenesis of molecular mimicry.Neurology. 2005; 64: 1605-1611
- The clinical and laboratory features of chronic sensory ataxic neuropathy with anti-disialosyl IgM antibodies.Brain. 2001; 124: 1968-1977
- Contactin-associated protein 1 (CNTNAP1) mutations induce characteristic lesions of the Paranodal region.J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2016; 75: 1155-1159
- Paranodal lesions in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy associated with anti-Neurofascin 155 antibodies.Neuromuscul. Disord. 2017; 27: 290-293
- Dysfunction of nodes of Ranvier: a mechanism for anti-ganglioside antibody-mediated neuropathies.Exp. Neurol. 2012; 233: 534-542
- Acute motor axonal neuropathy: an antibody-mediated attack on axolemma.Ann. Neurol. 1996; 40: 635-644
- Paranodal dissection in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy with anti-neurofascin-155 and anti-contactin-1 antibodies.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2017; 88: 465-473
- Reply to “nodal conduction block and reversible conduction failure are not electrophysiological markers for axonal loss”.Clin. Neurophysiol. 2021; 132: 2934-2935
- Immunolocalization of GQ1b and related gangliosides in human extraocular neuromuscular junctions and muscle spindles.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2009; 50: 3226-3232
- Anti-GQ1b IgG antibody is associated with ataxia as well as ophthalmoplegia.Muscle Nerve. 1999; 22: 1071-1074