- •Thalamic infarction is associated with cognitive deterioration in patients with minor ischemic stroke at 12 months.
- •Stroke etiology is not correlated with worse cognitive performance in patients with minor ischemic stroke at 12 months.
- •Thalamus may be a critical structure in preserving cognition after stroke.
Background and purpose
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global, regional, and national burden of stroke, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2016.Lancet Neurol. 2019; 18: 439-458
- Vascular contributions to cognitive impairment and dementia: a statement for healthcare professionals from the american heart association/american stroke association.Stroke. 2011; 42: 2672-2713
- Cognitive impairment after stroke: clinical determinants and its associations with long-term stroke outcomes.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2010; 50: 700-706
- Preventing dementia by preventing stroke: the Berlin manifesto.Alzheimers Dement. 2019; 15: 961-984
- Post-stroke cognitive impairment as an independent predictor of ischemic stroke recurrence: PICASSO sub-study.J. Neurol. 2020; 267: 688-693
- Post-stroke cognitive impairment: epidemiology, mechanisms and management.Ann. Transl. Med. 2014; 2: 80
- The occurrence and longitudinal changes of cognitive impairment after acute ischemic stroke.Neuropsychiatr. Dis. Treat. 2020; 16: 807-814
- Natural history of cognitive impairment after stroke and factors associated with its recovery.Clin. Rehabil. 2003; 17: 158-166
- Progression of cognitive decline before and after incident stroke.Neurology. 2019; 93: e20-e28
- Emerging role of white matter lesions in cerebrovascular disease.Eur. J. Neurosci. 2021; 1
- White matter hyperintensity volume predicts persistent cognitive impairment in transient ischemic attack and minor stroke.Int. J. Stroke. 2017; 12: 264-272
- Gray matter atrophy in patients with ischemic stroke with cognitive impairment.Stroke. 2008; 39: 785-793
- Biological and imaging predictors of cognitive impairment after stroke: a systematic review.J. Neurol. 2019; 266: 2593-2604
- Risk factors for poststroke cognitive decline: the REGARDS study (reasons for geographic and racial differences in stroke).Stroke. 2018; 49: 987-994
- Stroke location is an independent predictor of cognitive outcome.Stroke. 2016; 47: 66-73
- Strategic infarct location for post-stroke cognitive impairment: a multivariate lesion-symptom mapping study.J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 2018; 38: 1299-1311
- Strategic infarct locations for post-stroke cognitive impairment: a pooled analysis of individual patient data from 12 acute ischaemic stroke cohorts.Lancet Neurol. 2021; 20: 448-459
- Impairment of cognition and sleep after acute ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in Chinese patients: design, rationale and baseline patient characteristics of a nationwide multicentre prospective registry.Stroke Vasc. Neurol. 2021; 6: 139-144
- The third China National Stroke Registry (CNSR-III) for patients with acute ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack: design, rationale and baseline patient characteristics.Stroke Vasc. Neurol. 2019; 4: 158-164
- Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke. Definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial. TOAST. Trial of org 10172 in acute stroke treatment.Stroke. 1993; 24: 35-41
- Neuroimaging standards for research into small vessel disease and its contribution to ageing and neurodegeneration.Lancet Neurol. 2013; 12: 822-838
- MR signal abnormalities at 1.5 T in Alzheimer’s dementia and normal aging.AJR Am. J. Roentgenol. 1987; 149: 351-356
- Enlarged perivascular spaces on MRI are a feature of cerebral small vessel disease.Stroke. 2010; 41: 450-454
- Inter-and intraobserver reproducibility of cerebral atrophy assessment on MRI scans with hemispheric infarcts.Eur. Neurol. 1996; 36: 268-272
- Cognitive and mood assessment tools for use in stroke.Stroke. 2018; 49: 483-490
- Decline in changing Montreal cognitive assessment (MoCA) scores is associated with post-stroke cognitive decline determined by a formal neuropsychological evaluation.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0173291
- Changes in Montreal cognitive assessment scores over time.Assessment. 2017; 24: 772-777
- Serial Montreal cognitive assessments demonstrate reversible cognitive impairment in patients with acute transient ischemic attack and minor stroke.Stroke. 2014; 45: 1709-1715
- Strategic infarcts of the thalamus in vascular dementia.J. Neurol. Sci. 2002; 203-204: 91-97