- •Lyme neuroborreliosis is a rare cause of stroke in endemic areas.
- ••Awareness is needed in endemic areas, as Lyme neuroborreliosis can easily be missed in routine stroke workup.
- •Patients diagnosed with Lyme neuroborreliosis associated stroke seem to have a good prognosis with appropriate treatment.
- •In the treatment of Lyme neuroborreliosis associated vasculitis the use of immunosupressive therapy should be considered.
Materials & methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Lyme Neuroborreliosis: manifestations of a rapidly emerging zoonosis.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2009; 30: 1079-1087
- Lyme borreliosis-from tick bite to diagnosis and treatment.FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 2018; 42: 233-258
- Surveillance for Lyme disease - United States, 1992-2006.MMWR Surveill. Summ. 2008; 57: 1-9
- Cerebral vasculitis and stroke due to Lyme neuroborreliosis: a favorable clinical outcome after early antibiotic treatment.J. Neurol. Sci. 2017; 375: 165-166
- Cerebral vasculitis and stroke in Lyme neuroborreliosis. Two case reports and review of current knowledge.Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2008; 26: 455-461
- Ischemic stroke: do not forget Lyme Neuroborreliosis.Case Rep Neurol Med. 2018; 2018: 1720725
- Vasculitis and stroke due to Lyme neuroborreliosis - a review.Infect Dis (Lond). 2015; 47: 1-6
- Stroke as an unusual first presentation of Lyme disease.Case Rep Neurol Med. 2015; 2015: 389081
- Lyme disease presenting as multiple ischaemic strokes.Pract. Neurol. 2015; 15: 284-288
- Common and uncommon neurological manifestations of neuroborreliosis leading to hospitalization.BMC Infect. Dis. 2017; 17: 90
- Lyme neuroborreliosis mimics stroke: a case report.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2000; 81: 519-521
- Intracerebral haemorrhage as a manifestation of Lyme neuroborreliosis?.Eur. J. Neurol. 2003; 10: 99-101
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage due to Borrelia burgdorferi-associated vasculitis.Eur. J. Neurol. 2006; 13: 536-538
- Stages and syndromes of neuroborreliosis.J. Neurol. 1998; 245: 262-272
- EFNS guidelines on the diagnosis and management of European Lyme neuroborreliosis.Eur. J. Neurol. 2010; 17 (e1-4): 8-16
- Screening for neuroborreliosis in patients with stroke.Stroke. 1993; 24: 1393-1396
- Cerebrovascular manifestations of Lyme Neuroborreliosis-a systematic review of published cases.Front. Neurol. 2017; 8: 146
- Cerebrovascular events in Lyme Neuroborreliosis.J. Stroke Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2015; 24: 1671-1678
- Lyme Borreliosis in Finland, 1995-2014.Emerg. Infect. Dis. 2017; 23: 1282-1288
- Oral doxycycline compared to intravenous ceftriaxone in the treatment of Lyme Neuroborreliosis: a multicenter, equivalence, randomized, Open-label Trial.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 72: 1323-1331
- An updated definition of stroke for the 21st century: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2013; 44: 2064-2089
- Interobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients.Stroke. 1988; 19: 604-607
- Central nervous system vasculitis due to infections.Neurol Clin. 2019; 37: 441-463
- Neuroborreliosis-associated cerebral vasculitis: long-term outcome and health-related quality of live.J. Neurol. 2013; 260: 1569-1575
- Intravenous ceftriaxone compared with oral doxycycline for the treatment of Lyme neuroborreliosis.Scand. J. Infect. Dis. 2005; 37: 449-454
- Tick-borne bacterial pathogens in southwestern Finland.Parasit. Vectors. 2016; 9: 168
- Tick-borne pathogens in Finland: comparison of Ixodes ricinus and I. persulcatus in sympatric and parapatric areas.Parasit Vectors. 2018; 11: 556