- •Clopidogrel underactivity prevalence in acute symptomatic carotid patients is unknown.
- •Clopidogrel reactivity was measured at the beginning of endovascular procedure
- •35 patients were included and 12 showed clopidogrel underactivity.
- •More severe carotid stenosis was seen in clopidogrel underactivity patients.
- •% stenosis was associated with clopidogrel underactivity on multivariate analysis
Clopidogrel is commonly used for secondary stroke prevention in patients with large vessel stenosis. Reduced Clopidogrel high on treatment platelet reactivity (CR) can lead to Clopidogrel underactivity (CU) causing acute thrombosis. However, the prevalence of CU among patients with acute symptomatic carotid disease remains unknown. Therefore, we aimed to find the prevalence and identify the predictors for CU among patients with acutely symptomatic carotid stenosis.
Patients and methods
Over the span of 14 months, CR was measured at the time of endovascular procedure in all patients undergoing angiography and stenting because of acute symptomatic carotid stenosis. Only patients treated per institutional protocol with a combination of Clopidogrel and Aspirin were included. CR was measured with VerifyNowP2Y12 reaction units (PRU) and CU was defined as PRU > 208. Patients with CU were compared to those without CU.
Thirty-five patients were included (mean age 71.3 ± 10, 76% men) and twelve (34.3%, mean age 71.8 ± 8.4, 58% men) had CU at the time of endovascular intervention. On univariate analysis more severe carotid stenosis was seen in CU patients (92.6 ± 6.5% vs 81.6 ± 13.6%, p = 0.013) and percent stenosis was independently associated with CU on multivariate analysis (p = 0.023).
CU is present in 1 of every 3 patients with acutely symptomatic carotid disease. The current results suggest that CR testing should become part of routine care in patients with acutely symptomatic carotid disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Dual antiplatelet therapy with clopidogrel and aspirin in symptomatic carotid stenosis evaluated using doppler embolic signal detection: the Clopidogrel and aspirin for reduction of emboli in symptomatic carotid stenosis (CARESS) trial.Circulation. 2005; 111: 2233-2240
- Clopidogrel resistance is associated with thromboembolic complications in patients undergoing neurovascular stenting.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2013; 34: 716-720
- CYP2C19 polymorphism is associated with amputation rates in patients taking Clopidogrel after endovascular intervention for critical limb Ischaemia.European journal of vascular and endovascular surgery : the official journal of the European Society for Vascular Surgery. 2019; 58: 373-382
- Risk of in-stent thrombus formation at one year after drug-eluting stent implantation.Thromb. Res. 2011; 128: 431-434
- Enteric coating and aspirin nonresponsiveness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2017; 69: 603-612
- Drug resistance and pseudoresistance: an unintended consequence of enteric coating aspirin.Circulation. 2013; 127: 377-385
- Real-world relationship between proton pump inhibitors and cerebro-cardiovascular outcomes independent of clopidogrel.Int. Heart J. 2019; 60: 910-918
- Timing of carotid endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis: a snapshot of current trends and systematic review of literature on changing paradigm towards early surgery.Neurosurgery. 2019; 85: E214-e225
- Clopidogrel resistance in neurovascular stenting: correlations between light transmission Aggregometry, VerifyNow, and the multiplate.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2015; 36: 1953-1958
- Platelet reactivity and cardiovascular outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention: a time-dependent analysis of the gauging responsiveness with a VerifyNow P2Y12 assay: impact on thrombosis and safety (GRAVITAS) trial.Circulation. 2011; 124: 1132-1137
- Effect of CYP2C19 polymorphisms on the platelet response to Clopidogrel and influence on the effect of high versus standard dose Clopidogrel in carotid artery stenting.European journal of vascular and endovascular surgery : the official journal of the European Society for Vascular Surgery. 2016; 51: 175-186
- Risk for major bleeding in patients receiving Ticagrelor compared with aspirin after transient ischemic attack or acute ischemic stroke in the SOCRATES study (acute stroke or transient ischemic attack treated with aspirin or Ticagrelor and patient outcomes).Circulation. 2017; 136: 907-916
- Beneficial effect of carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients with high-grade carotid stenosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 1991; 325: 445-453
- Ticagrelor use in Indian patients undergoing neuroendovascular procedures: a single center experience.Neurointervention. 2019; 14: 125-130
- Diabetes mellitus and carotid artery plaques exhibiting high-intensity signals on MR angiography are related to increased platelet reactivity after carotid artery stenting.Journal of neurointerventional surgery. 2017; 9: 106-110
- Genetic polymorphisms and Clopidogrel efficacy for acute ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Circulation. 2017; 135: 21-33
- Clinical pharmacogenetics implementation consortium guidelines for CYP2C19 genotype and clopidogrel therapy: 2013 update.Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 2013; 94: 317-323
- The clinical effects of CYP2C19 *2 allele frequency on Palestinian patients receiving clopidogrel after percutaneous coronary intervention.Int. J. Clin. Pharm. 2019; 41: 96-103
- Identification of CYP2C19*4B: pharmacogenetic implications for drug metabolism including clopidogrel responsiveness.The pharmacogenomics journal. 2012; 12: 297-305
- Similar impact of Clopidogrel or Ticagrelor on carotid atherosclerotic plaque inflammation.Clin. Cardiol. 2016; 39: 646-652
- Basic principles of platelet biology and clinical implications.Circulation journal : official journal of the Japanese Circulation Society. 2010; 74: 597-607
- A genotype-guided strategy for Oral P2Y(12) inhibitors in primary PCI.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 381: 1621-1631
- Ticagrelor and aspirin or aspirin alone in acute ischemic stroke or TIA.N. Engl. J. Med. 2020; 383: 207-217
- Association between CYP2C19 loss-of-function allele status and efficacy of clopidogrel for risk reduction among patients with minor stroke or transient ischemic attack.Jama. 2016; 316: 70-78
Published online: April 14, 2021
Accepted: April 12, 2021
Received in revised form: April 9, 2021
Received: November 22, 2020
© 2021 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.