- •High dose steroids to treat acute MS relapses may be delayed when UTI is suspected.
- •Accurate urine screening allows early treatment and reduces unnecessary antibiotics.
- •≥2/3 of positive nitrites, leukocyte esterase and cloudy urine gives 87% accuracy.
- •Risks of high dose steroids when bacteriuria is present remains to be established.
Abbreviations:HDC (High-dose corticosteroids), IV (intravenous), MS (multiple sclerosis), UTIs (urinary tract infections), LE (leucocyte esterase), NPV (negative predictive value), PPV (positive predictive value), MSU (mid-stream urine), SD (standard deviation), CI (confidence interval), PwMS (people with multiple sclerosis)
- Corticosteroids or ACTH for acute exacerbations in multiple sclerosis (Review).Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2009; : 1-3
- Bladder dysfunction in multiple sclerosis: a 6-year follow-up study.Acta Neurol. Belg. 2017; 117: 83-90
- Treating asymptomatic bacteriuria before immunosuppressive therapy during multiple sclerosis: should we do it?.in: Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. 18. 2017: 161-163
- Prospective study on the relationship between infections and multiple sclerosis exacerbations.Brain. 2002; 125: 952-960
- Neurological symptoms accompanying urinary tract infections.Eur. Neurol. 2010; 63: 180-183
- The risk of relapses in multiple sclerosis during systemic infections.Neurology. 2006; 67: 652-659
- Urinary tract infections in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. J. 2016; 22: 855-861
- Fatal acute pyelonephritis following pulsed methylprednisolone for rheumatoid arthritis.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 1990; 49: 955-956
- Association between urinary symptoms and urinary tract infection in patients with multiple sclerosis.Global J. Health Sci. 2015; 8: 253
- Urinary tract infections in multiple sclerosis: under-diagnosed and under-treated? A clinical audit at a large University Hospital.Am. J. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 2014; 3: 57-67
- Discrediting microscopic pyuria and leucocyte esterase as diagnostic surrogates for infection in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms: results from a clinical and laboratory evaluation.BJU Int. 2013; 112: 231-238
- Comparison of test characteristics of urine dipstick and urinalysis at various test cutoff points.Ann. Emerg. Med. 2001; 38: 505-512
- Screening tests for urinary tract infection in children: a meta-analysis.Pediatrics. 1999; 104: e54
- Testing for urinary tract colonization before high-dose corticosteroid treatment in acute multiple sclerosis relapses: prospective algorithm validation.Eur. J. Neurol. 2013; 20: 448-452
- Validity, accuracy, and predictive value of urinary tract infection signs and symptoms in individuals with spinal cord injury on intermittent catheterization.J. Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 568-573
- Health Episode Statistics in Multiple Sclerosis.2018
- Oral and intravenous steroids for multiple sclerosis relapse: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Neurol. 2017; 264: 1697-1704
- Treatment of multi-resistant urinary tract infections in patients with multiple sclerosis.Pharmaceutisch Weekblad. 1987; 9 (Scientific Edition): S76-S77
- The prevalence, etiologic agents and risk factors for urinary tract infection among spinal cord injury patients.Jundishapur J. Microbiol. 2014; 7: 1-8
- Laboratory evaluation of leukocyte esterase and nitrite tests for the detection of bacteriuria.J. Clin. Microbiol. 1985; 21: 840-842
- Gram-positive uropathogens, polymicrobial urinary tract infection, and the emerging microbiota of the urinary tract.Microbiol. Spectr. 2016; 4: 1-54
- Voided midstream urine culture and acute cystitis in premenopausal women.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 369: 1883-1891
- Traiter ou ne pas traiter les bactériuries asymptomatiques avant bolus de méthylprednisolone ?.Rev. Neurol. 2015; 171: 669-673