In patients with HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder (HAND), movement disorders, including tremor or broken-eye-movement are reported [
]. However to our knowledge, there are no reports that evaluated details of movement disorders in HAND. We present a patient with HAND who was evaluated the development of opsoclonus and hand tremor. After treatment with combined-antiretroviral-therapy, these symptoms ameliorated and thalamic lesion on MRI disappeared. In addition, increased cerebellar blood flow was visualized by applying subtraction ictal SPECT co-registered to MRI (SISCOM) [
- Smail R.C.
- Brew B.J.
HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder.
in: Handbook of Clinical Neurology. vol. 152. 2018: 75-97
- O'Brien T.J.
- So E.L.
- Hauser M.F.
- Brinkmann B.H.
- et al.
Subtraction ictal SPECT co-registered to MRI improves clinical usefulness of SPECT in localizing the surgical seizure focus.
Neurology. 1998; 50: 445-455
Abbreviations:HAND (HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder), SISCOM (subtraction ictal SPECT co-registered to MRI), GABAA (gamma-aminobutyric acid A)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder.in: Handbook of Clinical Neurology. vol. 152. 2018: 75-97 (3rd series)
- Subtraction ictal SPECT co-registered to MRI improves clinical usefulness of SPECT in localizing the surgical seizure focus.Neurology. 1998; 50: 445-455
- The neurology of eye movements.Fifth ed. Oxford University Press, New York2015: 716-768
- Imaging studies of the HIV-infected brain.in: Handbook of Clinical Neurology. vol. 152. 2018: 229-264 (3rd series)
- AJNR. 1998; 19: 83-89
- Update research nosology for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders.Neurology. 2007; 69: 1789-1799
- Cerebellar activation in opsoclonus. an fMRI study.Neurology. 2003; 61: 412-415
- GABAAergic dysfunction in the olivary-cerebellar-brainstem network may cause eye oscillations and body tremor.Clin. Neurophysiol. 2017; 128: 408-410
- The role of the thalamus in motor control.Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 2003; 13: 663-670
- Defining thalamic nuclei and topographic connectivity gradients in vivo.Neuroimage. 2017; 158: 466-479
Published online: July 24, 2019
Accepted: July 23, 2019
Received in revised form: July 22, 2019
Received: May 23, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.