- •Contrary to the traditional view, TN-TOS patients often present with sensory symptoms.
- •The decrease of SNAP amplitude of MABC nerve in NCS seems the most sensitive marker.
- •MRI and CTA findings could be used as an ancillary data for the diagnosis of TN-TOS.
Abbreviations:ADM (abductor digiti minimi), APB (abductor pollicis brevis), CMAP (compound muscle action potential), CTA (computed tomography angiography), EIP (extensor indicis proprius), EMG (electromyography), FDI (first dorsal interossei), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), MABC (medial antebrachial cutaneous), NCS (nerve conduction study), SCA (subclavian artery), SNAP (sensory nerve action potential), STIR (short tau inversion recovery), TN-TOS (true neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome), TOS (thoracic outlet syndrome)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
- Thoracic outlet syndrome in 3T MR neurography-fibrous bands causing discernible lesions of the lower brachial plexus.Eur. Radiol. 2014; 24: 756-761
- The prevalence of cervical ribs in a London population.Clin. Anat. 2009; 22: 331-336
- Thoracic outlet syndromes and MRI.Brain. 1995; 118: 819-821
- High-resolution 3T MR neurography of the brachial plexus and its branches, with emphasis on 3D imaging.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2013; 34: 486-497
- C8 and T1 innervation of forearm muscles.Clin. Neurophysiol. 2015; 126: 837-842
- Manual of Nerve Conduction Velocity and Clinical Neurophysiology.Raven Press, 1994
- The thoracic outlet syndromes.Muscle Nerve. 2012; 45: 780-795
- Electrodiagnostic approach to the patient with suspected brachial plexopathy.Neurol. Clin. 2002; 20: 423-450
- Wasting of the hand associated with a cervical rib or band.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1970; 33: 615-624
- Thoracic outlet syndrome.Neurosurgery. 2004; 55: 897-902
- Dissociated small hand muscle atrophy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: frequency, extent, and specificity.Muscle Nerve. 2008; 37: 426-430
- Pictorial essay: role of magnetic resonance imaging in evaluation of brachial plexus pathologies.Indian J. Radiol. Imaging. 2012; 22: 344-349
- True neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome: electrophysiological diagnosis in six cases.Muscle Nerve. 1998; 21: 1129-1134
- Neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome: current diagnostic criteria and advances in MRI diagnostics.Neurosurg. Focus. 2015; 39: E7
- True neurological thoracic outlet syndrome. Retrospective study of 30 consecutive cases.Chir. Main. 2012; 31: 244-249
- The Gilliatt-Sumner hand: a diagnostic clue of neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome.QJM. 2018; 111: 831-832
- Helical computed tomography of the normal thoracic outlet.J. Vasc. Surg. 1997; 26: 776-783
- Prevalence of rib anomalies in normal Caucasian children and childhood cancer patients.Eur. J. Med. Genet. 2005; 48: 113-129
- Clinical Electromyography: Nerve Conduction Studies.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003
- Sensory nerve conduction velocity of the medial antebrachial cutaneous nerve.Electromyogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 1979; 19: 41-46
- Helical CT angiography of thoracic outlet syndrome: functional anatomy.AJR Am. J. Roentgenol. 2000; 174: 1667-1674
- Medial antebrachial cutaneous nerve conduction study, a new tool to demonstrate mild lower brachial plexus lesions. A report of 16 cases.Clin. Neurophysiol. 2004; 115: 2316-2322
- Gilliatt-Sumner hand revisited: a 25-year experience.Neurosurgery. 2004; 55: 883-890
- Electrodiagnostic features of true neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 2014; 49: 724-727
- Thoracic outlet syndrome.in: Controversied in entrapment neuropathies. American Association of Electromyography and Electrodiagnosis, Rochester, MN1984: 28-38
- Thoracic outlet syndromes.Neurol. Clin. 1999; 17 (vi): 477-497
☆We confirm that we have read the Journal's position on issues involved in ethical publication and affirm that this report is consistent with those guidelines. None of the authors has any conflict of interest to disclose. This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.