- •AD patients had higher hepcidin values than MCI and normal controls.
- •The TIBC was significantly lower in the AD group than MCI and normal controls.
- •Serum iron levels were lower in the AD group than controls.
- •Hepcidin levels were statistically significantly correlated with the CDR.
Materials & methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The impact of vitamin E and other fat-soluble vitamins on Alzheimer s disease.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2016; 17
- Alzheimer's disease: genes, proteins, and therapy.Physiol. Rev. 2001; 81: 741-766
- Dysregulation of iron metabolism in Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Adv. Pharmacol. Sci. 2011; 2011: 8
- The amyloid hypothesis of Alzheimer's disease: progress and problems on the road to therapeutics.Science (New York, N.Y.). 2002; 297: 353-356
- Manganese causes neurotoxic iron accumulation via translational repression of amyloid precursor protein and H-ferritin.J. Neurochem. 2018; 147: 831-848
- Amyloid-beta protein dimers isolated directly from Alzheimer's brains impair synaptic plasticity and memory.Nat. Med. 2008; 14: 837-842
- Iron, brain ageing and neurodegenerative disorders.Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2004; 5: 863-873
- The role of iron in brain ageing and neurodegenerative disorders.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 1045-1060
- Iron accumulation in Alzheimer disease is a source of redox-generated free radicals.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 1997; 94: 9866-9868
- Iron (III) induces aggregation of hyperphosphorylated tau and its reduction to iron (II) reverses the aggregation: implications in the formation of neurofibrillary tangles of Alzheimer's disease.J. Neurochem. 2002; 82: 1137-1147
- Serum hepcidin levels, iron dyshomeostasis and cognitive loss in Alzheimer's disease.Aging Dis. 2017; 8: 215-227
- Hepcidin regulates cellular iron efflux by binding to ferroportin and inducing its internalization.Science (New York, N.Y.). 2004; 306: 2090-2093
- The systemic iron-regulatory proteins hepcidin and ferroportin are reduced in the brain in Alzheimer's disease.Acta Neuropathol. Commun. 2013; 1: 55
- The iron exporter ferroportin/Slc40a1 is essential for iron homeostasis.Cell Metab. 2005; 1: 191-200
- Iron-export ferroxidase activity of beta-amyloid precursor protein is inhibited by zinc in Alzheimer's disease.Cell. 2010; 142: 857-867
- Mechanisms and regulation of iron trafficking across the capillary endothelial cells of the blood-brain barrier.Front. Mol. Neurosci. 2015; 8: 31
- Post translational modulation of beta-amyloid precursor protein trafficking to the cell surface alters neuronal iron homeostasis.Neurochem. Res. 2019; 44: 1367-1374
- Dynamic changes of oligomeric amyloid beta levels in plasma induced by spiked synthetic Abeta42.Alzheimers Res. Ther. 2017; 9: 86
- Combining serum and urine biomarkers in the early diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment that evolves into Alzheimer's disease in patients with the apolipoprotein E 4 genotype.Biomarkers. 2015; 20: 84-88
- The role of iron homeostasis in Alzheimer's disease.J. Alzheimers Neurodegener. 2017; 3
- Hepcidin regulation by innate immune and infectious stimuli.Blood. 2011; 118: 4129-4139
- Oxidative stress and Alzheimer disease.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2000; 71 (621s–9s)
- Role of oxidative stress in Alzheimer's disease.Biomed. Rep. 2016; 4: 519-522
- Decreased plasma iron in Alzheimer's disease is due to transferrin desaturation.ACS Chem. Neurosci. 2015; 6: 398-402
- Hepcidin, a key regulator of iron metabolism and mediator of anemia of inflammation.Blood. 2003; 102: 783-788
- Hepcidin and the iron-infection axis.Science (New York, N.Y.). 2012; 338: 768-772
- Impact of aging, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease on the blood-brain barrier transport of therapeutics.Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 2018; 135: 62-74
- Increased blood-brain barrier permeability is associated with dementia and diabetes but not amyloid pathology or APOE genotype.Neurobiol. Aging. 2017; 51: 104-112
- Blood transferrin and ferritin in Alzheimer's disease.Life Sci. 1997; 60: 2273-2278
- Selective reductions in plasma Abeta 1-42 in healthy elderly subjects during longitudinal follow-up: a preliminary report.Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatr. 2005; 13: 914-917
- Biomarkers of Alzheimer disease in plasma.NeuroRx. 2004; 1: 226-234
- Association of low plasma Abeta42/Abeta40 ratios with increased imminent risk for mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer disease.Arch. Neurol. 2007; 64: 354-362
- Plasma A[beta]40 and A[beta]42 and Alzheimer's disease: relation to age, mortality, and risk.Neurology. 2003; 61: 1185-1190
- A specific enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for measuring beta-amyloid protein oligomers in human plasma and brain tissue of patients with Alzheimer disease.Arch. Neurol. 2009; 66: 190-199