- •The majority of ischemic stroke and TIA patients are readmitted within five years.
- •Infections and cardiac disease are the most common causes of unplanned readmissions.
- •Cardioembolic etiology suggests a higher risk of readmission and mortality.
- •Small vessel occlusion suggests a lower risk of readmission and mortality.
Abbreviations:LAA (large-artery atherosclerosis), CE (cardioembolic), SVO (small vessel occlusion), SOE (stroke of other determined etiology), ME (multiple etiologies), CS (cryptogenic stroke), UTI (urinary tract infection), VTE (venous thromboembolism), GI (gastrointestinal)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Medical complications after stroke: a multicenter study.Stroke. 2000; 31: 1223-1229
- Five-year rehospitalization outcomes in a cohort of patients with acute ischemic stroke: Medicare linkage study.Stroke. 2011; 42: 1556-1562
- Readmission after stroke in a hospital-based registry: risk, etiologies, and risk factors.Neurology. 2011; 76: 438-443
- Post-acute care data for predicting readmission after ischemic stroke: a nationwide cohort analysis using the minimum data set.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2015; 4e002145
- Predictors of hospital readmission 1 year after ischemic stroke.Intern. Emerg. Med. 2017; 12: 63-68
- Readmission and death after hospitalization for acute ischemic stroke: 5-year follow-up in the medicare population.Stroke. 2007; 38: 1899-1904
- Risk of recurrent stroke, myocardial infarction, or death in hospitalized stroke patients.Neurology. 2010; 74: 588-593
- Hospital readmission within 10 years post stroke: frequency, type and timing.BMC Neurol. 2017; 17: 116
- Complications following incident stroke resulting in readmissions: an analysis of data from three Scottish health surveys.Int. J. Stroke. 2015; 10: 911-917
- Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke. Definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial. TOAST. Trial of org 10172 in Acute Stroke Treatment.Stroke. 1993; 24: 35-41
- Risk factors, outcome, and treatment in subtypes of ischemic stroke: the German stroke data bank.Stroke. 2001; 32: 2559-2566
- Ischemic stroke subtypes: a population-based study of functional outcome, survival, and recurrence.Stroke. 2000; 31: 1062-1068
- The impact of Ischaemic stroke subtype on 30-day hospital readmissions.Stroke Res. Treat. 2018; 20187195369
- Causes and predictors for hospital readmission after ischemic stroke.J. Stroke Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2015; 24: 2095-2101
- Interrater reliability of an etiologic classification of ischemic stroke.Stroke. 1995; 26: 46-51
- Definition and evaluation of transient ischemic attack: a scientific statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council; Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia; Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention; Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; and the Interdisciplinary Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease. The American Academy of Neurology affirms the value of this statement as an educational tool for neurologists.Stroke. 2009; 40: 2276-2293
- Nasjonal faglig retningslinje for behandling og rehabilitering ved hjerneslag: Helsedirektoratet.2017
- A proportional hazards model for the subdistribution of a competing risk.J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 1999; 94: 496-509
- Predictors of hospital readmission after stroke: a systematic review.Stroke. 2010; 41: 2525-2533
- Stroke severity may predict causes of readmission within one year in patients with first ischemic stroke event.J. Neurol. Sci. 2017; 372: 21-27
- Poststroke outcomes vary by pathogenic stroke subtype in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study.Stroke. 2013; 44: 2307-2310
- The price of bouncing back: one-year mortality and payments for acute stroke patients with 30-day bounce-backs.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2008; 56: 999-1005
- Tailoring the approach to embolic stroke of undetermined source: a review.JAMA Neurol. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaneurol.2019.0591
- Embolic stroke of undetermined source: a systematic review and clinical update.Stroke. 2017; 48: 867-872
- Risk and cumulative risk of stroke recurrence: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Stroke. 2011; 42: 1489-1494
- Five-year risk of stroke after TIA or minor ischemic stroke.N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; 378: 2182-2190
- Frequency and predictors for the risk of stroke recurrence up to 10 years after stroke: the South London Stroke Register.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2009; 80: 1012-1018
- Pathological observations in hypertensive cerebral hemorrhage.J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 1971; 30: 536-550
- Acute ischaemic stroke and infection: recent and emerging concepts.Lancet Neurol. 2008; 7: 341-353
- Årsrapport 2017. Norsk hjerneslagregister. St. Olavs hospital HF, kvalitetsregistre Sfm.(2018 01.10)2018
- Predictors of post-stroke fever and infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Neurol. 2018; 18: 49
- Risk of fractures after stroke: results from the Ontario Stroke Registry.Neurology. 2017; 88: 57-64
- Medical complications after stroke.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 105-118