- •Stroke severity plays a large role in developing urinary tract infections.
- •Urinary tract infections after stroke may prolong length of stay and increase costs.
- •Post-stroke urinary tract infection does not significantly impact long term outcome.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effect of medical complications on the after-stroke rehabilitation outcome.NeuroRehabilitation. 2017; 40: 223-232https://doi.org/10.3233/NRE-161407
- Stroke-induced immunodepression and post-stroke infections: lessons from the preventive antibacterial therapy in stroke trial.Neuroscience. 2009; 158: 1184-1193https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2008.07.044
- Urinary tract infections complicating stroke: mechanisms, consequences, and possible solutions.Stroke. 2010; 41: e180-e184https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.109.576413
- Post-stroke infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Neurol. 2011; 11110https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2377-11-110
- The evolution of catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI): is it time for more inclusive metrics?.Infect. Control Hosp. Epidemiol. 2019; : 1-5https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2019.43
- Update on the Preventive Antibiotics in Stroke Study (PASS): a randomised controlled phase 3 clinical trial.Trials. 2014; 15: 133https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-15-133
- Prevalence and predictive factors of urinary tract infection among patients with stroke: a meta-analysis.Am. J. Infect. Control. 2018; 46: 402-409https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2017.10.001
- Can't swallow, can't transfer, can't toilet: factors predicting infections in the first week post stroke.J. Clin. Neurosci. 2015; 22: 92-97https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2014.05.035
- Ischemia, immunosuppression and infection—tackling the predicaments of post-stroke complications.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2016; 17https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17010064
- Retrospective analysis of catheter-acquired urinary tract infection: relationship to stroke diagnosis.Clin. Nurse Spec. 2017; 31: E11-E16https://doi.org/10.1097/NUR.0000000000000307
- Urinary tract infections: epidemiology, mechanisms of infection and treatment options.Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 2015; 13: 269-284https://doi.org/10.1038/nrmicro3432
- Ten-year temporal trends in medical complications after acute intracerebral hemorrhage in the United States.Stroke. 2017; 48: 596-603https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.015746
- Urinary tract infection after stroke.QJM. 2009; 102: 243-249https://doi.org/10.1093/qjmed/hcp012
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infections and other infections in patients hospitalized for acute stroke: a prospective cohort study of two different silicone catheters.Scand. J. Urol. 2016; 50: 483-488https://doi.org/10.1080/21681805.2016.1194459
- Neuroanatomical correlates of stroke-associated infection and stroke-induced immunodepression.Brain Behav. Immun. 2017; 60: 142-150https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbi.2016.10.004
- Indwelling urinary catheterization after acute stroke.Neurourol. Urodyn. 2013; 32: 480-485https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.22317
- The relation between postvoid residual and occurrence of urinary tract infection after stroke in rehabilitation unit.Ann. Rehabil. Med. 2012; 36: 248-253https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2012.36.2.248
- Urinary tract infection and bacteriurua in stroke patients: frequencies, pathogen microorganisms, and risk factors.Am. J. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2007; 86: 734-741https://doi.org/10.1097/PHM.0b013e31813e5f96
- Urinary tract infections in hospitalized ischemic stroke patients: source and impact on outcome.Cureus. 2017; 9e1014https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.1014
- Predictors of post-stroke fever and infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Neurol. 2018; 18: 49https://doi.org/10.1186/s12883-018-1046-z
- Copeptin, procalcitonin and routine inflammatory markers-predictors of infection after stroke.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7e48309https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048309
- Increased infections with β-blocker use in ischemic stroke, a β.Neurol. Sci. 2017; 38: 967-974https://doi.org/10.1007/s10072-017-2877-x
- Infection after acute ischemic stroke: a manifestation of brain-induced immunodepression.Stroke. 2007; 38: 1097-1103https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000258346.68966.9d
- Pathogen colonization in patients with acute cerebral stroke.Disabil. Rehabil. 2013; 35: 662-667https://doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2012.708817
- Frequency and determinants of pneumonia and urinary tract infection during stroke hospitalization.J. Stroke Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2006; 15: 209-213https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2006.05.004
- Using population-based routinely collected data from the Sentinel Stroke National Audit Programme to investigate factors associated with discharge to care home after rehabilitation.Clin. Rehabil. 2018; 32: 1108-1118https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215517748715
- Predictors for total medical costs for acute hemorrhagic stroke patients transferred to the rehabilitation ward at a regional hospital in Taiwan.Top. Stroke Rehabil. 2016; 23: 59-66https://doi.org/10.1179/1945511915Y.0000000006
- Portable bladder ultrasound reduces incidence of urinary tract infection and shortens hospital length of stay in patients with acute ischemic stroke.J. Cardiovasc. Nurs. 2018; 33: 551-558https://doi.org/10.1097/JCN.0000000000000507
- Diagnosis, management, and prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections.Infect. Dis. Clin. N. Am. 2014; 28: 105-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idc.2013.09.002
- Reducing unnecessary urinary catheter use and other strategies to prevent catheter-associated urinary tract infection: an integrative review.BMJ Qual. Saf. 2014; 23: 277-289https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2012-001774
- Hospitalization for infection and risk of acute ischemic stroke: the Cardiovascular Health Study.Stroke. 2011; 42: 1851-1856https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.110.608588
- Risk of myocardial infarction and stroke after acute infection or vaccination.N. Engl. J. Med. 2004; 351: 2611-2618https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa041747
- Beneficial effects of implementing stroke protocols require establishment of a geographically distinct unit.Stroke. 2015; 46: 3494-3501https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.115.010552