- •Calcium has a pivotal role in haemostasis.
- •Hypocalcaemia is associated with larger admission haematoma volumes among ICH patients.
- •Higher mortality among hypocalcaemic patients is likely mediated through larger ICH volumes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Incidence, case fatality, and functional outcome of intracerebral haemorrhage over time, according to age, sex, and ethnic origin: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 167-176
- The ICH score: a simple, reliable grading scale for intracerebral hemorrhage.Stroke. 2001; 32: 891-897
- Predictors of early mortality in young adults after intracerebral hemorrhage.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2454-2456
- Extent of secondary intraventricular hemorrhage is an independent predictor of outcomes in intracerebral hemorrhage: data from the Helsinki ICH study.Int. J. Stroke. 2014; 10: 576-581
- Anticoagulant reversal, blood pressure levels, and anticoagulant resumption in patients with anticoagulation-related intracerebral hemorrhage.Jama. 2015; 313: 824-836
- Natural history of perihematomal edema and impact on outcome after intracerebral hemorrhage.Stroke. 2017; 48: 873-879
- Simultaneous multiple intracerebral hemorrhages (SMICH).Stroke. 2017; 48: 581-586
- National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale in patients with primary intracerebral hemorrhage.Neurol. Sci. 2018; 39: 1751-1755
- Intracerebral hemorrhage outcome: a comprehensive update.J. Neurol. Sci. 2019; 398: 54-66
- SMASH-U: a proposal for etiologic classification of intracerebral hemorrhage.Stroke. 2012; 43: 2592-2597
- The blood coagulation system as a molecular machine.Bioessays. 2003; 25: 1220-1228
- Calcium signaling in platelets.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2009; 7: 1057-1066
- Platelet Signaling.http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&id=22918727&retmode=ref&cmd=prlinks(accessed 05/10/2017)
- Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology.12 ed. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia2011
- Hypocalcemia: Diagnosis and Treatment.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279022/Date accessed: April 6, 2018
- Low serum calcium levels contribute to larger hematoma volume in acute intracerebral hemorrhage.Stroke. 2013; 44: 2004-2006
- Association between serum calcium level and extent of bleeding in patients with Intracerebral Hemorrhage.Jama Neurol. 2016; 73: 1285-1290
- Serum calcium and phosphate levels and short- and long-term outcomes in acute intracerebral hemorrhage patients.J. Stroke Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2016; 25: 914-920
- Reliability of intracerebral hemorrhage classification systems: a systematic review.Int. J. Stroke. 2016; 11: 626-636
- Software output from semi-automated planimetry can underestimate intracerebral haemorrhage and peri-haematomal oedema volumes by up to 41.Neuroradiology. 2016; 58: 867-876
- Predictive value of ionized calcium in critically ill patients: an analysis of a large clinical database MIMIC II.PLoS One. 2014; 9e95204
- Magnesium, hemostasis, and outcomes in patients with intracerebral hemorrhage.Neurology. 2017; 89: 813-819
- Concentration-dependent effect of hypocalcaemia on in vitro clot strength in patients at risk of bleeding: a retrospective cohort study.Transfus. Med. 2016; 26: 57-62
- Concentration-dependent effect of hypocalcaemia on mortality of patients with critical bleeding requiring massive transfusion: a cohort study.Anaesth. Intensive Care. 2011; 39: 46-54
- Coagulopathy induced by acidosis, hypothermia and hypocalcaemia in severe bleeding.Minerva Anestesiol. 2014; 81: 65-75
- Calcium in ischemic cell death.Stroke. 1998; 29: 705-718
- The role of calcium and cellular membrane dysfunction in experimental trauma and subarachnoid hemorrhage.J. Neurosurg. 1985; 62: 698-703
- When is it appropriate to order an ionized calcium?.J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2008; 19: 1257-1260