- •Acceleration timing of respiratory decline in ALS was introduced as a novel metric.
- •Logistic curve fitted well with the time-serial decline in %VC, estimating acceleration.
- •The acceleration timing strongly correlated with respiratory/nutritional support timing.
- •The acceleration time-point was at which %VC is becoming 0.789 times of maximum %VC.
- •This new metric may be of help in the management for earlier stage ALS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Disease progression in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: predictors of survival.Muscle Nerve. 2002 May; 25: 709-714
- Forced vital capacity (FVC) as an indicator of survival and disease progression in an ALS clinic population.J. NeurolNeurosurg Psychiatr. 2006 Mar; 77: 390-392
- Prognostic factors in ALS: a critical review.Amyotroph. Lateral Scler. 2009 Oct-Dec; 10: 310-323
- Use of respiratory function tests to predict survival in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Amyotroph. Lateral Scler. 2010; 11: 194-202
- Management of respiratory symptoms in ALS.J. Neurol. 2011 Mar; 258: 359-365
- Rates of progression of weight and forced vital capacity as relevant measurement to adapt amyotrophic lateral sclerosis management for patient Result of a French multicentre cohort survey.J. Neurol. Sci. 2013 Aug 15; 331: 126-131
- Practice parameter update: the care of the patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: drug, nutritional, and respiratory therapies (an evidence-based review): report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology.Neurology. 2009 Oct 13; 73: 1218-1226
- Prognosis in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a population-based study.Neurology. 2003 Mar 11; 60: 813-819
- Survival of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in a population-based registry.Neuroepidemiology. 2005; 25: 114-119
- Piemonte and Valle d'Aosta Register for ALS (PARALS). Early symptom progression rate is related to ALS outcome: a prospective population-based study.Neurology. 2002 Jul 9; 59: 99-103
- ALSFRS-R score and its ratio: a useful predictor for ALS-progression.J. Neurol. Sci. 2008 Dec 15; 275: 69-73
- World Federation of Neurology Research Group on Motor Neuron Diseases. El Escorial revisited: revised criteria for the diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Amyotroph Lateral Scler. Other Motor Neuron Disord. 2000 Dec; 1: 293-299
- PARALS study group. Phenotypic heterogeneity of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a population based study.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2011 Jul; 82: 740-746
- Determinants of lumbar CSF protein concentration.J. Neurol. 2002 Aug; 249: 1021-1026
- Elevation of cerebrospinal fluid protein in patients with diabetes mellitus is associated with duration of diabetes.Eur. Neurol. 2008; 60: 132-136
- Association between decline in slow vital capacity and respiratory insufficiency, use of assisted ventilation, tracheostomy, or death in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.JAMA Neurol. 2018 Jan 1; 75: 58-64
- SVC is a marker of respiratory decline function, similar to FVC, in patients with ALS.Front. Neurol. 2019; 28: 109
- Experimental studies on the struggle for existence.J. Exp. Biol. 1932; 9: 389-402
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2017 (URL)
- Restricted mean survival time: an alternative to the hazard ratio for the design and analysis of randomized trials with a time-to-event outcome.BMC Med. Res. Methodol. 2013 Dec 7; 13: 152
- Moving beyond the hazard ratio in quantifying the between-group difference in survival analysis.J. Clin. Oncol. 2014 Aug 1; 32: 2380-2385
- A decrease in body mass index is associated with faster progression of motor symptoms and shorter survival in ALS.Amyotroph. Lateral Scler. 2010 Dec; 11: 542-548
- Body mass index, not dyslipidemia, is an independent predictor of survival in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Muscle Nerve. 2011 Jul; 44: 20-24
- Alteration of nutritional status at diagnosis is a prognostic factor for survival of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients.J. NeurolNeurosurg. Psychiatr. 2011 Jun; 82: 628-634
- Hypermetabolism in ALS patients: an early and persistent phenomenon.J. Neurol. 2009 Aug; 256: 1236-1242
- Mimics and chameleons in motor neurone disease.Pract. Neurol. 2013 Jun; 13: 153-164
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) findings in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.J. Neurol. 1984; 231: 75-78
- A CSF biomarker panel for identification of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Neurology. 2009 Jan 6; 72: 14-19
- Microglial activation correlates with disease progression and upper motor neuron clinical symptoms in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.PLoS One. 2012; 7e39216
- Cerebrospinal fluid macrophage biomarkers in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 2018 Feb; 83: 258-268
- Riluzole for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)/motor neuron disease (MND).Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2012 Mar 14; 3: CD001447