- •Neural network (NN) deep learning differentiated MSA-P from PD in earlier stages.
- •Analysis by NN was carried out using the data of VBM and MRS.
- •Neuronal loss and gliosis in the globus pallidus were observed in both MSA-P and PD.
- •Enhanced pattern recognition is a potential significant clinical application of NN.
- •NN data can provide feedback to review clinical diagnosis and neurological findings.
- An update on advances in magnetic resonance imaging of multiple system atrophy.J. Neurol. 2018 Nov 20; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-018-9121-3
- Atypical parkinsonism: diagnosis and treatment.Neurol. Clin. 2015; 33: 39-56https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ncl.2014.09.012
- Accuracy of clinical diagnosis of Parkinson disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Neurology. 2016; 86: 566-576https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000002350
- When DLB, PD, and PSP masquerade as MSA: an autopsy study of 134 patients.Neurology. 2015; 85: 404-412https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000001807
- Second consensus statement on the diagnosis of multiple system atrophy.Neurology. 2008; 71: 670-676https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000324625.00404.15
- Magnetic resonance imaging for the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease.J. Neural Transm. 2017; 124: 915-964https://doi.org/10.1007/s00702-017-1717-8
- The role of diffusion magnetic resonance imaging in Parkinson's disease and in the differential diagnosis with atypical parkinsonism.Radiol. Bras. 2017; 50: 250-257https://doi.org/10.1590/0100-3984.2016-0073
- Deep learning.Nature. 2015; 521: 436-444
- Voxel-based morphometry-the methods.Neuroimage. 2000; 11: 805-821https://doi.org/10.1006/nimg.2000.0582
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy: an in vivo molecular imaging biomarker for Parkinson's disease?.Biomed. Res. Int. 2014; 2014: 519816https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/519816
- Elevated pontine and putamenal GABA levels in mild-moderate Parkinson disease detected by 7 tesla proton MRS.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7e30918https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0030918
- Multiple system atrophy study group, development and validation of the unified multiple system atrophy rating scale (UMSARS).Mov. Disord. 2004; 19: 1391-1402https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.20255
- Movement Disorder Society UPDRS revision task force., movement disorder society-sponsored revision of the unified Parkinson's disease rating scale (MDS-UPDRS): scale presentation and clinimetric testing results.Mov. Disord. 2008; 23: 2129-2170https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.22340
- Parkinsonism: onset, progression and mortality.Neurology. 1967; 17: 427-442https://doi.org/10.1212/wnl.17.5.427
- Automated anatomical labeling of activations in SPM using a macroscopic anatomical parcellation of the MNI MRI single-subject brain.Neuroimage. 2002; 15: 273-289https://doi.org/10.1006/nimg.2001.0978
- Multiple regional 1H-MR spectroscopy in multiple system atrophy: NAA/Cr reduction in pontine base as a valuable diagnostic marker.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2004; 75: 103-109
- Proton MR spectroscopy for monitoring pathologic changes in the substantia nigra and globus pallidus in Parkinson disease.Am. J. Roentgenol. 2016; 206: 385-389https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.14.14052
- A study of the globus pallidus of patients with Parkinson disease by magnetic resonance spectroscopy using artificial intelligence (neural network).Neurol. Med. 2017; 86: 628-631
- Nonlinear kernel-based statistical pattern analysis.IEEE Trans. Neural Netw. 2001; 12: 16-32https://doi.org/10.1109/72.896793
- Basic principles of ROC analysis.Semin. Nucl. Med. 1978; 8: 283-298
- The spectrum of pathological involvement of the striatonigral and olivopontocerebellar systems in multiple system atrophy: clinicopathological correlations.Brain. 2004; 127: 2657-2671https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awh303
- Progression of brain atrophy in multiple system atrophy. A longitudinal VBM study.J. Neurol. 2007; 254: 191-196https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-006-0325-6
- In vivo evaluation of gray and white matter volume loss in the parkinsonian variant of multiple system atrophy using SPM8 plus DARTEL for VBM.Neuroimage Clin. 2013; 2: 491-496https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nicl.2013.03.017
- Modulation of inhibitory plasticity in basal ganglia output nuclei of patients with Parkinson's disease.Neurobiol. Dis. 2018; 124 (pii: S0969-9961(18)30593-X): 46-56
- Learning to read chest-rays: recurrent neural cascade model for automated image annotation.arXiv. 2016; (1603.08486)https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2016.274
- A deep learning architecture for image representation, visual interpretability and automated basal-cell carcinoma cancer detection.Med. Image Comput. Comput. Assist. Interv. 2013; 16: 403-410