- •414 patients met the criteria for PD.
- •194 were Indian, 130 Black, 16 Mixed Ancestry and 74 White.
- •The median AAO was 60 years, 53% were male, 20% of the cohort had EOPD.
- •Dyskinesias were more frequent in Indian and White patients.
- •Neuropsychiatric symptoms were more frequently in Indian and White patients.
- Parkinson's disease.Lancet. 2015; 386: 896-912
- Parkinson's Disease Statistics.(2018/02/20, Available from:)http://www.parkinsonassociation.org/facts-about-parkinsons-disease/Date: August 7, 2017
- Projected numbers of people with movement disorders in the years 2030 and 2050: implications for sub-Saharan Africa, using essential tremor and Parkinson's disease in Tanzania as an example.Mov. Disord. 2012; 27 (author reply 7): 1204-1205
- Parkinson's disease in sub-Saharan Africa: a review of epidemiology, genetics and access to care.J. Mov. Disord. 2018; 11: 53-64
- Mid-Year estimates 2016, August 25.(Available from:)
- The clinical profile of idiopathic Parkinson's disease in a south African hospital complex - the influence of ethnicity and gender.Afr. J. Neurol. Sci. 2016; 35: 73-79
- Parkinson's disease in blacks. Observations on epidemiology in Natal.S. Afr. Med. J. 1988; 73: 281-283
- Clinical profile of parkinsonism and Parkinson's disease in Lagos, Southwestern Nigeria.BMC Neurol. 2010; 10
- Assessing the prevalence of PINK1 genetic variants in South African patients diagnosed with early- and late-onset Parkinson's disease.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2010; 398: 125-129
- Mutations in the parkin gene are a minor cause of Parkinson's disease in the South African population.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2012; 18: 89-92
- Factors influencing the development of early- or late-onset Parkinson's disease in a cohort of South African patients.S. Afr. Med. J. 2012; 102: 848-851
- Clinical findings and genetic screening for copy number variation mutations in a cohort of South African patients with Parkinson's disease.S. Afr. Med. J. 2016; 106
- Socio-medical indicators of health in South Africa.Int. J. Health Serv. 1986; 16: 163-176
- Clinical features in early Parkinson disease and survival.Arch. Neurol. 2009; 66: 1353-1358
- Systematic review of levodopa dose equivalency reporting in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2010; 25: 2649-2653
- Non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease: dopaminergic pathophysiology and treatment.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 464-474
- Parkinsonism: onset, progression and mortality.Neurology. 1967; 17: 427-442
- Prevalence of Parkinson's disease in the biracial population of Copiah County, Mississippi.Neurology. 1985; 35: 841-845
- Prevalence of Parkinson's disease in populations of African ancestry: a review.J. Natl. Med. Assoc. 2004; 96: 974-979
- Epidemiology of parkinsonism and Parkinson's disease in sub-Saharan Africa: Nigerian profile.J. Neurosci. Rural Pract. 2012; 3: 233-234
- Parkinson's disease in Africa: a systematic review of epidemiologic and genetic studies.Mov. Disord. 2006; 21: 2150-2156
- Early-onset vs. late-onset Parkinson's disease: a clinical-pathological study.Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 2016; 43: 113-119
- The modern pre-levodopa era of Parkinson's disease: insights into motor complications from sub-Saharan Africa.Brain. 2014; 137 (Pt 10): 2731-2742
- Dopamine receptors and BDNF-haplotypes predict dyskinesia in Parkinson's disease.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2018; 47: 39-44
- DRD2 haplotype is associated with dyskinesia induced by levodopa therapy in Parkinson's disease patients.Pharmacogenomics. 2012; 13: 1701-1710
- We call it the shaking illness': perceptions and experiences of Parkinson's disease in rural northern Tanzania.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 219
- Racial disparities in Parkinson disease: a systematic review of the literature.Adv. Park. Dis. 2016; 5: 87-96
- Clinical profile of parkinsonian disorders in the tropics: experience at Kano, northwestern Nigeria.J. Neurosci. Rural Pract. 2012; 3: 237-241
- Frequency of movement disorders in an Ethiopian university practice.Mov. Disord. 2005; 20: 1209-1213