- •MR microneurography can visualize some of the microscopic components of nerves.
- •CIDP patients show peripheral nerve enlargement distally at the tibial nerves.
- •This results from the net increase of the area of the nerve's fascicles.
- •The epineurial area as well as T2 and PD are not significantly modified.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy), N (number of fascicles), FD (fascicles diameter), FA (total fascicles area), EA (epineurium area), NA (total nerve area), FNR (fascicles to nerve ratio), PD (proton density), NCS (nerve conduction studies), MRC-APF (Medical Research Council muscle strength score for Ankle Plantar Flexion of the imaged side), MRC-LL (Medical Research Council muscle strength sum score for the Lower Limbs), INCAT-LL (Inflammatory Neuropathy Cause and Treatment score for the Lower Limbs), ISS-LL (INCAT sensory score for the Lower Limbs)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- European federation of neurological societies/peripheral nerve society guideline * on management of paraproteinemic demyelinating neuropathies. Report of a joint task force of the European federation of neurological societies and the peripheral nerve society-first revision.J. Peripher. Nerv. Syst. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-8027.2010.00278.x
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.N. Engl. J. Med. 2005; https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra041347
- High-resolution MR neurography of diffuse peripheral nerve lesions.Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2011; https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A2257
- MR neurography for the evaluation of CIDP.Muscle Nerve. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.25368
- MRI of the cauda equina in CIDP: clinical correlations.J. Neurol. Sci. 1999; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-510X(99)00195-1
- MRI shows increased sciatic nerve cross sectional area in inherited and inflammatory neuropathies.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.2010.211334
- Brachial plexus magnetic resonance imaging differentiates between inflammatory neuropathies and does not predict disease course.Brain Behav. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1002/brb3.632
- Large coverage MR neurography in CIDP: diagnostic accuracy and electrophysiological correlation.J. Neurol. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-017-8543-7
- In vivo MR microneurography of the tibial and common peroneal nerves.Radiol. Res. Pr. 2014; 2014: 780964https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/780964
- Nerve fascicles and epineurium volume segmentation of peripheral nerve using magnetic resonance micro-neurography.Acad. Radiol. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2016.03.013
- MR micro-neurography and a segmentation protocol applied to diabetic neuropathy.Radiol. Res. Pract. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/2761818
- European federation of neurological societies/peripheral nerve society guideline on management of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy.Eur. J. Neurol. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-1331.2009.02930.x
- Medical Research Council. Aids to the Examination of the Peripheral Nervous System, Memo. No. 45.Her Majesty's Station. Off, London1975https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.38.10.1663-a
- Inflammatory neuropathy cause, clinimetric evaluation of a new overall disability scale in immune mediated polyneuropathies.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2002; https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.72.5.596
- Segmentation of brain MR images through a hidden Markov random field model and the expectation-maximization algorithm.IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging. 2001; https://doi.org/10.1109/42.906424
- Spinal root and plexus hypertrophy in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.Brain. 1999; https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/122.7.1383
- MRI biomarkers of proximal nerve injury in CIDP.Ann. Clin. Transl. Neurol. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1002/acn3.502
- Contribution of plexus MRI in the diagnosis of atypical chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathies.J. Neurol. Sci. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2015.11.048
- Comparison of clinical, electrophysiological, sonographic and MRI features in CIDP.J. Neurol. Sci. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2015.07.030
- Magnetic resonance neurography detects diabetic neuropathy early and with proximal predominance.Ann. Neurol. 2015; 78: 939-948
- In vivo detection of nerve injury in familial amyloid polyneuropathy by magnetic resonance neurography.Brain. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awu344
- MR neurography: diagnostic imaging in the PNS.Clin. Neuroradiol. 2015; 25: 283-289https://doi.org/10.1007/s00062-015-0412-0
- Axonal and perikaryal involvement in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1999; https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.66.6.727
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy: from pathology to phenotype.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2014-309697
- Sural nerve biopsy in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy: are supportive pathologic criteria useful in diagnosis?.Neurol. India. 2010; https://doi.org/10.4103/0028-3886.68673
- Diagnostic value of sural nerve biopsy in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1998; https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.64.1.84