- •Migraine is associated with a reduced cerebrovascular reactivity (CVR) compared to normal controls.
- •Younger age is associated with reduced CVRs of the posterior cerebral artery (PCA) in patients with migraine.
- •Younger age of onset fully explains the reduced PCA CVR in younger migraineurs.
- •Longer disease duration negatively modifies the effect of age of onset on the PCA CVR.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Risk of ischaemic stroke in people with migraine: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.BMJ. 2005; 330: 63
- Migraine and risk of cardiovascular disease in women.JAMA. 2006; 296: 283-291
- The migraine-stroke connection.J. Stroke. 2016; 18: 146-156
- Migraine and cardiovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2009; 339: b3914
- Migraine and hemorrhagic stroke: a meta-analysis.Stroke. 2013; 44: 3032-3038
- Migraine and risk of cardiovascular disease in women: prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2016; 353i2610
- Migraine and stroke: a complex association with clinical implications.Lancet Neurol. 2012; 11: 92-100
- Migraine and incidence of ischemic stroke: a nationwide population-based study.Cephalalgia. 2017; 37: 327-335
- Stroke epidemiology: a review of population-based studies of incidence, prevalence, and case-fatality in the late 20th century.Lancet Neurol. 2003; 2: 43-53
- Decreased number and function of endothelial progenitor cells in patients with migraine.Neurology. 2008; 70: 1510-1517
- Interictal cerebral and systemic endothelial dysfunction in patients with migraine: a case-control study.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2015; 86: 1253-1257
- Endothelial progenitor cells: a new key for endothelial dysfunction in migraine.Neurology. 2012; 79: 474-479
- Migraine and biomarkers of endothelial activation in young women.Stroke. 2009; 40: 2977-2982
- Cerebrovascular reactivity to l-arginine in the anterior and posterior cerebral circulation in migraine patients.Acta Neurol. Scand. 2011; 124: 269-274
- Systemic and cerebral endothelial dysfunction in chronic migraine. A case-control study with an active comparator.Cephalalgia. 2016; 36: 552-560
- Migraine as a risk factor for subclinical brain lesions.JAMA. 2004; 291: 427-434
- Development of White matter hyperintensity is preceded by reduced cerebrovascular reactivity.Ann. Neurol. 2016; 80: 277-285
- S. Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache, The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version), Cephalalgia. 33. 2013: 629-808
- Peripheral vascular dysfunction in migraine: a review.J. Headache Pain. 2013; 14: 80
- Pulse wave velocity study in middle-aged migraineurs at low cardiovascular disease risk.Headache. 2011; 51: 1239-1244
- Cranial and peripheral interictal vascular changes in migraine patients.Cephalalgia. 2003; 23: 96-104
- Endothelial function in migraine: a cross-sectional study.BMC Neurol. 2010; 10: 119
- Markers of endothelial function in migraine patients: results from a bi-center prospective study.Cephalalgia. 2015; 35: 877-885
- Migraine and endothelial function: the HUNT3 Study.Cephalalgia. 2016; 36: 1341-1349
- A systematic review of dynamic cerebral and peripheral endothelial function in lacunar stroke versus controls.Stroke. 2010; 41: e434-e442
- Endothelial function and dysfunction: testing and clinical relevance.Circulation. 2007; 115: 1285-1295
- Endothelial function testing as a biomarker of vascular disease.Circulation. 2003; 108: 2054-2059
- Endothelial and smooth muscle cells dysfunction distal to recanalized chronic total coronary occlusions and the relationship with the collateral connection grade.JACC Cardiovasc. Interv. 2012; 5: 170-178
- Induction of vascular progenitor cells from endothelial cells stimulates coronary collateral growth.Circ. Res. 2012; 110: 241-252
- Cerebrovascular reactivity predicts stroke in high-grade carotid artery disease.Neurology. 2014; 83: 1424-1431
- Association between migraine and cervical artery dissection: the Italian project on stroke in young adults.JAMA Neurol. 2017; 74: 512-518
- Ischemic stroke subtypes and migraine with visual aura in the ARIC study.Neurology. 2016; 87: 2527-2532
- Cerebrovascular reactivity to acetazolamide and outcome in patients with symptomatic internal carotid or middle cerebral artery occlusion: a xenon-133 single-photon emission computed tomography study.Stroke. 2002; 33: 1857-1862
- Spreading depolarization may link migraine and stroke.Headache. 2014; 54: 1146-1157
- Vulnerability to infarction during cerebral ischemia in migraine sufferers.Stroke. 2018; 49: 573-578
- Migraine headache and ischemic stroke risk: an updated meta-analysis.Am. J. Med. 2010; 123: 612-624
- Migraine and risk of stroke: a national population-based twin study.Brain. 2017; 140: 2653-2662
- Endothelin-1 potently induces Leao's cortical spreading depression in vivo in the rat: a model for an endothelial trigger of migrainous aura?.Brain. 2002; 125: 102-112
- Structural brain changes in migraine.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1889-1897