- •The long-term auditory sequelae after arsenic exposure have never been evaluated.
- •We evaluated these sequelae in chronically-exposed and control groups.
- •The results of ABR analysis were similar between the groups.
- •The exposed group had normal hearing function 40 years after exposure cessation.
Abbreviations:ABR (auditory brainstem response), SEP (somatosensory evoked potential), VEP (visual evoked potential)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Arsenic and human health effects: a review.Environ. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 2015; 40: 828-846https://doi.org/10.1016/j.etap.2015.09.016
- Prolonged central sensory conduction time in patients with chronic arsenic exposure.J. Neurol. Sci. 2016; 361: 39-42https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2015.12.020
- Effects of occupational exposure to arsenic on the nervous system: clinical and neurophysiological studies.Int. J. Occup. Med. Environ. Health. 2010; 23: 347-355https://doi.org/10.2478/v10001-010-0034-3
- Arsenic ototoxicity.J. Otol. 2016; 11: 13-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joto.2016.03.001
- Brainstem auditory evoked potentials (BAEPs) study in chronic arsenic poisoning patients.J. Med. Assoc. Thail. 2005; 88: S226-S230
- Clinical symptoms, neurological signs, and electrophysiological findings in surviving residents with probable arsenic exposure in Toroku, Japan.Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 2018; 75: 521-529https://doi.org/10.1007/s00244-018-0544-8
- Atoxyl-induced damage to the sensory cells in the organ of Corti in the Guinea pig cochlea.Virchows Arch. B Cell Pathol. 1976; 21: 267-277
- Hearing loss and heavy metal toxicity in a Nicaraguan mining community: audiological results and case reports.Audiol. Neurootol. 2013; 18: 101-113https://doi.org/10.1159/000345470
- Test of environmental exposure to arsenic and hearing changes in exposed children.Environ. Health Perspect. 1977; 19: 95-101https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.771995
- Use of auditory steady-state responses in children and comparison with other electrophysiological and behavioral tests.Eur. Ann. Otorhinolaryngol. Head Neck Dis. 2016; 133: 331-335https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anorl.2016.07.008
Published online: January 09, 2019
Accepted: January 8, 2019
Received in revised form: January 5, 2019
Received: November 27, 2018
© 2019 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.