- •Tuberculous meningitis is a disease of high morbidity and mortality.
- •Endocrine dysfunction is quite common in tuberculous meningitis.
- •The endocrine dysfunction in TBM adversely affects the clinical outcome.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Tuberculosis (TB) [Internet]. World Health Organization. 2016 [cited 9 December 2016]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs104/en/.
- Tuberculosis of the central nervous system.Postgrad. Med. J. 1999 Mar; 75: 133-140
- Tuberculous meningitis.Acta Neurol. Scand. 2010 Aug; 122: 75-90
- Involvement of hypothalamus in tuberculous meningitis, pathological changes at autopsy.Indian J. Tuberc. 1991; 38: 149-153
- Pituitary dysfunction in infective brain diseases.Indian J. Endocr. Metab. 2013; 17: 608-611
- Tuberculous meningitis: a uniform case definition for use in clinical research.Lancet Infect. Dis. 2010 Nov; 10: 803-812
- Dexamethasone for the treatment of tuberculous meningitis in adolescents and adults.N. Engl. J. Med. 2004 Oct 21; 351: 1741-1751
- Treatment of Tuberculosis: Guidelines.4th ed. 2010 (WHO/HTM/TB/2009.420) World Health Organization(Accessed 9 Dec 2016)
- Hypothalamic pituitary abnormalities in tubercular meningitis at the time of diagnosis.Pituitary. 2010; 13: 304-310
- Clinicoradiological presentation, management options and a review of sellar and suprasellar tuberculomas.J. Clin. Neurosci. 2009 Dec; 16: 1560-1566
- Clinical presentation and magnetic resonance findings in sellar tuberculomas.Case Rep. Med. 2014; 2014: 961913
- Optic chiasmatic-hypothalamic gliomas: is tissue diagnosis essential?.Neurol. India. 2010 Nov-Dec; 58: 833-840
- MR imaging features of tuberculosis of the sellar region.J. Radiol. 2011 Jul-Aug; 92: 714-721
- Sellar-suprasellar tuberculomas in children: 2 cases and literature review.Pediatr. Neurol. 2011 Jun; 44: 463-466
- Hypopituitarism as unusual sequelae to central nervous system tuberculosis.Indian J Endocrinol. Metab. 2011 Sep; 15: S259-S262
- Primary pituitary tubercular abscess mimicking as pituitary adenoma.Indian J Endocrinol. Metab. 2011 Sep; 15: S263-S266
- Pituitary apoplexy syndrome as the manifestation of intracranial tuberculoma.BMJ Case Rep. 2014; 2014 (bcr2013201272)
- Reversible hypopituitarism with pituitary tuberculoma.Intern. Med. 2015; 54: 1247-1251
- Panhypopituitarism revealing sellar tuberculoma.Ann. Endocrinol. (Paris). 2015 Jul; 76: 286-288
- Supra-sellar tubercular abscess.Asian J. Neurosurg. 2016 Apr-Jun; 11: 175-176
- Pituitary tuberculoma: a consideration in the differential diagnosis in a patient manifesting with pituitary apoplexy-likesyndrome.IDCases. 2016 Jul 29; 5: 63-66
- Intrasellar tuberculoma presenting as pituitary apoplexy.Neurol. India. 2001 Dec; 49: 407-410
- Pituitary tuberculosis presenting as pituitary apoplexy.Int. J. Infect. Dis. 2006 Jul; 10: 338-339
- Abnormalities of development associated with hypothalamic calcification after tuberculous meningitis.Br. Med. J. 1965; 2: 839-843
- Hypopituitarism after tuberculous meningitis in childhood.Ann. Intern. Med. 1993 May 1; 118: 701-706
- Selective hypopituitarism following tuberculous meningitis.Am. J. Dis. Child. 1969; 118: 903-908
- Adrenal insufficiency.N. Engl. J. Med. 1996 Oct 17; 335: 1206-1212
- The approach to the adult with newly diagnosed adrenal insufficiency.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009 Apr; 94: 1059-1067
- Adrenal insufficiency in the critically ill: a new look at an old problem.Chest. 2002 Nov; 122: 1784-1796
- Relative adrenal failure in the ICU: an identifiable problem requiring treatment.Crit. Care Clin. 2006 Jan; 22 (vii): 105-118
- Adrenal insufficiency in critically ill patients with human immunodeficiency virus.Crit. Care Med. 2002 Jun; 30: 1267-1273