- •We report DAVFs with progressive myelopathy showing unique MR imaging findings.
- •T2*WI/SWI showed symmetrical dark signals of the central gray matter of spinal cord.
- •We named dark signals “black butterfly” sign.
- •“Black butterfly” sign was probably caused by prolonged venous congestion.
- •Identifying this “black butterfly” sign can facilitate the diagnosis of DAVF.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cerebral dural arteriovenous fistulas: clinical and angiographic correlation with a revised classification of venous drainage.Radiology. 1995; 194: 671-680
- Spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas: a congestive myelopathy that initially mimics a peripheral nerve disorder.Brain. 2006; 129: 3150-3164
- Spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas: evaluation with MR angiography.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 1995; 16: 2029-2043
- Spinal dural arterio-venous fistulas: MR and myelographic findings.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 1995; 16: 2049-2057
- Spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas: recognizing the spectrum of magnetic resonance imaging findings.J. Spinal Cord Med. 1997; 20: 43-48
- Peripheral spinal cord hypointensity on T2-weighted MR images: a reliable imaging sign of venous hypertensive myelopathy.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2000; 21: 781-786
- Preangiographic evaluation of spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas with elliptic centric contrast-enhanced MR angiography and effect on radiation dose and volume of iodinated contrast material.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2005; 26: 711-718
- Role of CISS MR sequence in detection of spinal dural arteriovenous fistula.Clin. Radiol. Extra. 2004; 59: 78-82
- Gadolinium-DTPA enhanced MR imaging of spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas.J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 1989; 13: 30-37
- Dural arteriovenous fistula at the craniocervical junction has a close relationship with the vertebral artery.J. Neurol. Sci. 2011; 28: 288-293
- La myelite necrotique subaguie.Rev. Neurol. 1926; 2 (in French): 1-42
- Neuropathology of experimental spinal cord ischemia in the rabbit.J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 1982; 41: 129-149
- High cervical spinal subdural hemorrhage as a harbinger of craniocervical arteriovenous fistula: an unusual clinical presentation.Spine J. 2015; 15: e13-e17
- Arteriovenous fistulas at the cervicomedullary junction presenting with subarachnoid hemorrhage: six case reports with special reference to the angiographic pattern of venous drainage.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2005; 26: 1949-1954
- Intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas with spinal venous drainage: relation between clinical presentation and angiographic findings.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 1996; 17: 1549-1554
- Dural arteriovenous fistulas draining into the petrosal vein or bridging vein of the medulla: possible homologs of spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas. Clinical article.J. Neurosurg. 2009; 111: 889-899
- Vascular anatomy of the spine, imaging, and endovascular treatment of spinal vascular diseases.in: Herkowitz H.N. The Spine. 6th edition. Rothman-Simeone, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands2011: 1655-1687
- Vascular anatomy of the spinal cord and classification of spinal arteriovenous malformations.Interv. Neuroradiol. 2000; 6: 195-198