- •The association of gene variants with ultrasonographic determined atherosclerosis was explored.
- •The PON2 (rs7493) gene variant associates with a worse ultrasonographic profile.
- •The Cys311Cys homozygosity was found to be associated with an increased risk of stroke.
Common variants of the Paraoxonase (PON), 5-Methyl-Tetrahydrofolate-Reductase (MTHFR) and Angiotensin-II receptor 1 (AT1R) genes have been associated with ischemic stroke (IS) risk. Moreover, carotid atherosclerosis is a common cause of IS. The aim of this study is to explore whether variants in these genes associate with the severity of ultrasonographic determined atherosclerosis assessed in carotid arteries.
Patients and methods
Etiologic subtype of cerebral ischemia was determined according to the TOAST classification. Genotypes were detected by PCR and restriction analysis. An ultrasonographic supra-aortic trunks study was performed to all patients to assess their atherosclerotic involvement based on predefined criteria.
In IS patients, none of the analyzed gene distributions differed concerning the stenosis degree. Nevertheless, a trend was observed for the rs662 and rs7493 variants of the PON1 and PON2 genes respectively. When evaluated the results based on different inheritance models, a significant contribution of rs7493 variant according to a dominant (OR = 2.397, 95% CI (1.001–5.376); p = 0.045) and log-additive inheritance forms (OR = 1.85, 95% CI (1.07–3.2); p = 0.03) was observed. Only rs7493 reached statistical significance (p = 0.013), when genotype distribution was analyzed according to carotid intima-media thickness (cIMT) and remain significant in multivariate logistic regression analysis (OR = 2.66, 95% CI (1.1 to 6.4); p = 0.03).
In IS patients of the north area of the Gran Canaria island the PON2 (rs7493) gene variant associates with a worse ultrasonographic profile. Conversely, the Cys311Cys homozygosis of the rs7493 variant was also related to a better ultrasonographic profile in our study.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke. Definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial. TOAST. Trial of Org 10172 in Acute Stroke Treatment.Stroke. 1993 January; 24: 35-41
- Genetic heritability of ischemic stroke and the contribution of previously reported candidate gene and genomewide associations.Stroke. 2012 December; 43: 3161-3167
- Heritability of ischemic stroke in relation to age, vascular risk factors, and subtypes of incident stroke in population-based studies.Stroke. 2004 April; 35: 819-824
- Human paraoxonases (PON1, PON2, and PON3) are lactonases with overlapping and distinct substrate specificities.J. Lipid Res. 2005 June; 46: 1239-1247
- Atherosclerosis: cell biology and lipoproteins–inflammation and oxidative stress in atherogenesis: protective role for paraoxonases.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2011 June; 22: 243-244
- Human serum paraoxonase (PON1) isozymes Q and R hydrolyze lactones and cyclic carbonate esters.Drug Metab. Dispos. 2000 November; 28: 1335-1342
- Paraoxonase prevents accumulation of lipoperoxides in low-density lipoprotein.FEBS Lett. 1991; 286: 152-154
- Human PON2 gene at 7q21.3: cloning, multiple mRNA forms, and missense polymorphisms in the coding sequence.Gene. 1998; 213: 149-157
- Human paraoxonase-3 is an HDL-associated enzyme with biological activity similar to paraoxonase-1 protein but is not regulated by oxidized lipids.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2001 April; 21: 542-547
- Association between paraoxonase 2 Ser311Cys polymorphism and ischemic stroke risk: a meta-analysis involving 5,008 subjects.Mol. Biol. Rep. 2012 May; 39: 5623-5630
- DNA polymorphisms in two paraoxonase genes (PON1 and PON2) are associated with the risk of coronary heart disease.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 1998 January; 62: 36-44
- The association of paraoxonase 2 gene C311S variant with ischemic stroke in Chinese type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi. 2003 June; 20: 215-219
- Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) Q192R gene polymorphism and cancer risk: a meta-analysis based on 30 publications.Asian Pac. J. Cancer Prev. 2015; 16: 4457-4463
- Paraoxonase 2 gene C311S polymorphism is associated with a risk of large vessel disease stroke in a Polish population.Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2007; 23: 395-400
- A candidate genetic risk factor for vascular disease: a common mutation in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase.Nat. Genet. 1995 May; 10: 111-113
- Association of MTHFR C677T genotype with ischemic stroke is confined to cerebral small vessel disease subtype.Stroke. 2016 March; 47: 646-651
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T polymorphism, hypertension and risk of stroke: a prospective, nested case-control study.Int. J. Neurosci. 2016 May; 15: 1-8
- Angiotensin II type 1 receptor gene polymorphisms in human essential hypertension.Hypertension. 1994 July; 24: 63-69
- The AGTR1 gene A1166C polymorphism as a risk factor and outcome predictor of primary intracerebral and aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhages.Neurol. Neurochir. Pol. 2014; 48: 242-247
- Association between angiotensin II type 1 receptor gene polymorphisms and ischemic stroke: a meta-analysis.Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2011; 32: 431-438
- Genetic polymorphisms in the renin-angiotensin system confer increased risk of stroke independently of blood pressure: a nested case-control study.J. Hypertens. 2008 July; 26: 1367-1372
- Polymorphism in angiotensin II receptor genes and hypertension.Exp. Physiol. 2005 May; 90: 277-282
- Sonographic carotid plaque morphologic characteristics and vascular risk factors: results from a population study.J. Ultrasound Med. 2008 September; 27: 1313-1319
- Carotid plaque ultrasonic heterogeneity and severity of stenosis.Stroke. 2002 July; 33: 1772-1775
- Detection of unstable plaques in patients with carotid stenosis using B-mode ultrasonography.Interv. Neuroradiol. 2000 November 30; 6: 165-170
- The molecular basis of the human serum paraoxonase activity polymorphism.Nat. Genet. 1993; 3: 73-76
- Paraoxonase-2 is a ubiquitously expressed protein with antioxidant properties and is capable of preventing cell-mediated oxidative modification of low density lipoprotein.J. Biol. Chem. 2001 November 30; 276: 44444-44449
- Significance of angiotensin I-converting enzyme and angiotensin II type 1 receptor gene polymorphisms as risk factors for coronary heart disease.Atherosclerosis. 1996 September 6; 125: 161-169
- A generalized combinatorial approach for detecting gene-by-gene and gene-by-environment interactions with application to nicotine dependence.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2007 June; 80: 1125-1137
- Multifactor dimensionality reduction software for detecting gene-gene and gene-environment interactions.Bioinformatics. 2003 February 12; 19: 376-382
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing [Computer Program].2008
- Global and regional burden of stroke during 1990–2010: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2014 January 18; 383: 245-254
- Traditional risk factors are not major contributors to the variance in carotid intima-media thickness.Stroke. 2013 August; 44: 2101-2108
- Genotype at the - 174G/C polymorphism of the interleukin-6 gene is associated with common carotid artery intimal-medial thickness: family study and meta-analysis.Stroke. 2005 October; 36: 2215-2219
- The relationship between carotid intima-media thickness and carotid plaque in the Northern Manhattan Study.Atherosclerosis. 2015 August; 241: 364-370
- Evidence for a strong genetic influence on carotid plaque characteristics: an international twin study.Stroke. 2012 December; 43: 3168-3172
- Paraoxonase 1 and 2 gene variants and the ischemic stroke risk in Gran Canaria population: an association study and meta-analysis.Int. J. Neurosci. 2016 March; 15: 1-27
- Update on the genetics of stroke.Med. Clin. (Barc). 2014 August 19; 143: 176-179
- Evaluation of the paraoxonases as candidate genes for stroke: Gln192Arg polymorphism in the paraoxonase 1 gene is associated with increased risk of stroke.Stroke. 2005 November; 36: 2346-2350
- PON1 55/192 polymorphism, oxidative stress, type, prognosis and severity of stroke.IUBMB Life. 2006 March; 58: 165-172
- The research on relationship of paraoxonase 2 C311S polymorphism and cerebral infarction.Chin. J. Gerontol. 2005; 25: 117-119
- Paraoxonase 1 L55M, Q192R and paraoxonase 2 S311C alleles in atherothrombosis.Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2013 February; 374: 233-238
- A common mutation in paraoxonase-2 results in impaired lactonase activity.J. Biol. Chem. 2009 December 18; 284: 35564-35571
- Gene-gene and gene-environment interplay represent specific susceptibility for different types of ischaemic stroke and leukoaraiosis.Curr. Med. Chem. 2006; 13: 1627-1634
- Does the MTHFR C677T gene polymorphism indicate cardiovascular disease risk in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients?.Anatol. J. Cardiol. 2015 July; 15: 524-530
- Hyperhomocysteinemia, intima-media thickness and C677T MTHFR gene polymorphism: a correlation study in patients with cognitive impairment.Atherosclerosis. 2009 September; 206: 309-313
- Association between methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphism and carotid intima medial thickness progression in post ischaemic stroke patient.Ann. Transl. Med. 2015 December; 3: 324
- B-group vitamins, MTHFR C677T polymorphism and carotid intima-media thickness in clinically healthy subjects.Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 2007 August; 61: 996-1003
- Genetic architecture of carotid artery intima-media thickness in Mexican Americans.Circ. Cardiovasc. Genet. 2013 April; 6: 211-221
- Demographic history of Canary Islands male gene-pool: replacement of native lineages by European.BMC Evol. Biol. 2009; 9: 181
- A tale of aborigines, conquerors and slaves: Alu insertion polymorphisms and the peopling of Canary Islands.Ann. Hum. Genet. 2004 November; 68: 600-605
- Ancient mtDNA analysis and the origin of the Guanches.Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 2004 February; 12: 155-162
- North African influences and potential bias in case-control association studies in the Spanish population.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e18389
- Insight into the role of CYBA A640G and C242T gene variants and coronary heart disease risk. A case-control study.Free Radic. Res. 2008 January; 42: 82-92
Published online: May 06, 2017
Accepted: May 5, 2017
Received in revised form: May 3, 2017
Received: February 6, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.