- •PEDF is increased in CSF of patients with AD, FTD, and bacterial meningitis.
- •PEDF is also elevated in serum of patients with AD.
- •Elevated PEDF in CSF of AD patients is mostly due to elevated PEDF in serum.
- •It is important to relate protein concentrations in CSF to serum concentrations.
- •This helps to avoid erroneous interpretations of increased protein in lumbar CSF.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 2015 Alzheimer's disease facts and figures.Alzheimers Dement. 2015; 11: 332-384
- World Alzheimer Report 2015. The Global Impact of Dementia. An Analysis of Prevalence, Incidence, Cost and Trends.Alzheimer's Disease International (ADI), London, UK2015
- Effective anti-Alzheimer Abeta therapy involves depletion of specific Abeta oligomer subtypes.Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2016; 3e237
- The neuroprotective and angiogenesis inhibitory serpin, PEDF: new insights into phylogeny, function, and signaling.Front. Biosci. 2005; 10: 2131-2149
- Neuronal differentiation of retinoblastoma cells induced by medium conditioned by human RPE cells.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 1989; 30: 1700-1707
- Protein Expression and Localization of Pigment Epithelium Derived Factor in the Central Nervous System of the Rat during Postnatal Development.Universität Regensburg, 2008
- NFkappaB activation is required for the neuroprotective effects of pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) on cerebellar granule neurons.J. Biol. Chem. 2001; 276: 43313-43319
- Loss of pigment epithelium derived factor expression in glioma progression.J. Clin. Pathol. 2003; 56: 277-282
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor is a pericyte mitogen secreted by microvascular endothelial cells: possible participation of angiotensin II-elicited PEDF downregulation in diabetic retinopathy.Int. J. Tissue React. 2005; 27: 197-202
- Pigment epithelium derived factor (PEDF) is neuroprotective in two in vitro models of Parkinson's disease.Neurosci. Lett. 2009; 458: 49-52
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor is a survival factor for cerebellar granule cells in culture.J. Neurochem. 1995; 64: 2509-2517
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor protects cultured cerebellar granule cells against glutamate-induced neurotoxicity.J. Neurochem. 1997; 68: 26-32
- The intrinsic PEDF is regulated by PPARgamma in permanent focal cerebral ischemia of rat.Neurochem. Res. 2012; 37: 2099-2107
- Effects of pigment epithelium derived factor on traumatic brain injury.Restor. Neurol. Neurosci. 2014;
- Gene transfer of PEDF attenuates ischemic brain damage in the rat middle cerebral artery occlusion model.J. Neurochem. 2008; 106: 1841-1854
- Is pigment epithelium-derived factor level in cerebrospinal fluid a promising biomarker for early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease?.Med. Hypotheses. 2004; 63: 115-117
- Comparative proteomics of cerebrospinal fluid in neuropathologically-confirmed Alzheimer's disease and non-demented elderly subjects.Neurol. Res. 2006; 28: 155-163
- Combined measurement of PEDF, haptoglobin and tau in cerebrospinal fluid improves the diagnostic discrimination between Alzheimer's disease and other dementias.Biomarkers. 2011; 16: 161-171
- Proteomics-derived cerebrospinal fluid markers of autopsy-confirmed Alzheimer's disease.Biomarkers. 2009; 14: 493-501
- Cerebrospinal fluid analysis: disease-related data patterns and evaluation programs.J. Neurol. Sci. 2001; 184: 101-122
- A consensus protocol for the standardization of cerebrospinal fluid collection and biobanking.Neurology. 2009; 73: 1914-1922
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 2nd edn (ICDH-II).J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2004; 75: 808-811
- Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: report of the NINCDS-ADRDA Work Group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's Disease.Neurology. 1984; 34: 939-944
- Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2005 revisions to the “McDonald Criteria”.Ann. Neurol. 2005; 58: 840-846
- Stage progression and neurological symptoms in Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense sleeping sickness: role of the CNS inflammatory response.PLoS Negl. Trop. Dis. 2012; 6e1857
- Amino acid transport across the human blood-CSF barrier. An evaluation graph for amino acid concentrations in cerebrospinal fluid.J. Neurol. Sci. 1985; 70: 129-138
- Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in cerebrospinal fluid—the evaluation of blood-derived and brain-derived fractions in neurological diseases.J. Neuroimmunol. 1998; 87: 156-161
- Influence of pigment epithelium-derived factor on outcome after striatal cerebral ischemia in the mouse.PLoS One. 2014; 9e114595
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor is elevated in CSF of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.J. Neurochem. 2002; 81: 178-184
- Studies of the pathophysiological mechanisms in frontotemporal dementia by proteome analysis of CSF proteins.Brain Res. Mol. Brain Res. 2002; 109: 128-133
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor is differentially expressed in peripheral neuropathies.Proteomics. 2005; 5: 4558-4567
- The discrimination between different blood-CSF barrier dysfunctions and inflammatory reactions of the CNS by a recent evaluation graph for the protein profile of cerebrospinal fluid.J. Neurol. 1980; 224: 89-99