- •A knowledge gap about Parkinson's disease (PD) often exists amongst PD patients.
- •Knowledge gaps poses a barrier in the provision of treatment and care of PD patients.
- •Our study confirms knowledge gaps amongst PD patients in all aspects.
- •A lack of PD knowledge was more pronounced in patients in the retired age group.
- •Educational interventions are an integral part of PD management.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Identifying gaps in knowledge about Parkinson disease among medical professionals in Thailand.Neurology. 2014; 82: 2238-2240
- Knowledge and attitudes about Parkinson's disease among a diverse group of older adults.J. Cross Cult. Gerontol. 2014; 29: 339-352
- Survey on general knowledge on Parkinson's disease in patients with Parkinson's disease and current clinical practice for Parkinson's disease among general neurologists from Southwest China.Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg. 2014; 118: 16-20
- Knowledge of Parkinson's disease in a multiethnic urban Asian setting.J. Parkinson's Dis. 2015; 5: 865-879
- Public awareness and knowledge about Parkinson's disease: a national population based survey in South Korea.Neuroepidemiology. 2016; 47: 117-123
- Patient perspectives on Parkinson's disease therapy in Japan and the United States: results of two patient surveys.Patient Relat. Outcome Meas. 2012; 3: 31-38
- 2nd Ed.Oxford University Press, New York2009
- Understanding knowledge effects on attitude-behavior consistency: the role of relevance, complexity, and amount of knowledge.J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 2006; 90: 556-577
- Perspective as an intervening construct in the judgment of attitude statements.J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 1966; 3: 135-144
- Learning new information from text: the role of prior knowledge and reading ability.J Read. Behav. 1982; 14: 243-261
- What matters to people with Parkinson's disease living in Australia?.J. Clin. Neurosci. 2015; 22: 338-341
- Moving from physician-centered care towards patient-centered care for Parkinson's disease patients.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2013; 19: 923-927
- Patient-perceived involvement and satisfaction in Parkinson's disease: effect on therapy decisions and quality of life.Mov. Disord. 2005; 20: 616-619
- Knowledge of Parkinson's disease among patients and caregivers attending movement disorder clinic at a tertiary care centre in north India.Ann. Indian Acad. Neurol. 2012; 15: 294-296
- A census of movement disorders at a Thai university hospital.J. Neurol. Sci. 2011; 301: 31-34
- Young- versus older-onset Parkinson's disease: impact of disease and psychosocial consequences.Mov. Disord. 2003; 18: 1250-1256
- Living and Coping with Parkinson's Disease: A Self-help Guide for Patients and Their Carers.Souvenir Press, London1998
- Social costs of Parkinson's disease.J. Chronic Dis. 1973; 26: 243-254
- Determinants of delayed diagnosis in Parkinson's disease.J. Neurol. 2013; 260: 1978-1981
- Palliative stage Parkinson's disease: patient and family experiences of health-care services.Palliat. Med. 2009; 23: 120-125
- Comparing knowledge and attitudes towards genetic testing in Parkinson's disease in an American and Asian population.J. Neurol. Sci. 2007; 252: 113-120
- Nationwide survey of patient knowledge and attitudes towards human experimentation using stem cells or bee venom acupuncture for Parkinson's disease.J. Mov. Disord. 2014; 7: 84-91
- Patient education and health promotion can be effective in Parkinson's disease: a randomized controlled trial. PROPATH Advisory Board.Am. J. Med. 1994; 97: 429-435
- Effect of educational intervention on medication timing in Parkinson's disease: a randomized controlled trial.BMC Neurol. 2007; 7: 20
- Multidisciplinary care for patients with Parkinson's disease.Parkinsonism Relat. Disord. 2009; 15: S219-S223
- Factors in patient empowerment: a survey of an online patient research network.in: Patient. 2016
- A new and innovative magazine-style website has been launched to inspire and inform the international Parkinson's community [internet].([cited 29 November 2016]. Available from:)
- Call to improve treatment for Parkinson's disease patients [internet].([cited 29 November 2016]. Available from:)http://www.pharmatimes.com/news/call_to_ improve_treatment_for_parkinsons_disease_patients_984357/Date: 2009
☆The authors have no conflict of interest