- •Global migraine prevalence is 11.6%; Africa 10.4%, Asia 10.1%, Europe 11.4%, North America 9.7%, and South America 16.4%.
- •Prevalence is 13.8% in females, 6.9% in males, 11.2% in urban residents, 8.4% in rural residents, and 12.4% in students.
- •There was a pattern of rising global migraine prevalence.
- •Higher student and urban affliction can lower academic and economic performance.
- •Improving awareness, early treatment, research, training, and healthy urban lifestyles may tackle this costly prevalence.
Study design and setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2163-2196
- Ten lessons on the epidemiology of migraine.Headache. 2007; 47: S2-S9
- Contributions of epidemiology to our understanding of migraine.Headache. 2013; 53: 230-246
- Prevalence of migraine headache and its weight on neurological burden in Africa: a 43-year systematic review and meta-analysis of community-based studies.J. Neurol. Sci. 2014; 342: 1-15
- Epidemiology and economic impact of migraine.Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 2001; 17: s4-12
- Demographic and health surveys: a profile.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 1602-1613
- Migraine is underdiagnosed and undertreated.The Practitioner. 2014; 258 (2-3): 19-24
- Migraine diagnosis and treatment: a knowledge and needs assessment among primary care providers.Cephalalgia: an international journal of headache. 2015;
- Misunderstood and misdiagnosed: the agony of migraine headache.Advance for nurse practitioners. 2005; 13 (-6, 8-60, 2): 55
- The burden of migraine in the United States: current and emerging perspectives on disease management and economic analysis.Value in health: the journal of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research. 2009; 12: 55-64
- Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2197-2223
- Redesigning primary care to tackle the global epidemic of noncommunicable disease.Am. J. Public Health. 2015; 105: 431-437
- Further studies in allergic migraine:: based on a series of two hundred and two consecutive cases.Ann. Intern. Med. 1931; 5: 713-728
- Migraine in children.Triangle; the Sandoz journal of medical science. 1961; 5: 89-94
- A review of data quality assessment methods for public health information systems.Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2014; 11: 5170-5207
- Optimal search strategies for retrieving scientifically strong studies of treatment from Medline: analytical survey.BMJ. 2005; 330: 1179
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000097
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology (MOOSE) group.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2008-2012
- The place of corticosteroids in migraine attack management: a 65-year systematic review with pooled analysis and critical appraisal.Cephalalgia. 2015; 35: 996-1024
- A 43-year systematic review and meta-analysis: case-fatality and risk of death among adults with tuberculous meningitis in Africa.J. Neurol. 2014; 261: 851-865
Classification of Headache. The ad hoc committee on classification of headache. Arch. Neurol. 1962;6(3):173–6.
- The international classification of headache disorders. 2nd edition (ICHD-II).Rev. Neurol. 2005; 161: 689-691
- Cephalalgia: an international journal of headache. 1988; 8: 1-96
- The international classification of headache disorders, 3rd edition (beta version).Cephalalgia : an international journal of headache. 2013; 33: 629-808
- A self-administered screener for migraine in primary care: the ID migraine validation study.Neurology. 2003; 61: 375-382
- Random-effects model for meta-analysis of clinical trials: an update.Contemp Clin Trials. 2007; 28: 105-114
- Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis.Stat. Med. 2002; 21: 1539-1558
United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs/Population Division. World Urbanization Prospects: The 2014 Revision. ST/ESA/SER.A/366.
- The global burden of headache: a documentation of headache prevalence and disability worldwide.Cephalalgia. 2007; 27: 193-210
- The epidemiology of primary headache disorders in Zambia: a population-based door-to-door survey.J Headache Pain. 2015; 16: 515
- Headaches, quality of life, and academic performance in schoolchildren and adolescents.Headache. 2014; 54: 1194-1202
- The evolution of headache from childhood to adulthood: a review of the literature.The journal of headache and pain. 2014; 15: 15
- Introduction: population migration and urbanization in developing countries.Dev. Econ. 1996; 34: 349-369
- The impact of regular lifestyle behavior in migraine: a prevalence case-referent study.J. Neurol. 2016; 263: 669-676
- Migraine–the forgotten epidemic: development of the EHF/WHA Rome declaration on migraine.J Headache Pain. 2006; 7: 433-437
- Learning lessons from operational research in infectious diseases: can the same model be used for noncommunicable diseases in developing countries?.Adv Med Educ Pract. 2014; 5: 469-482
- Positive correlations between the health locus of control and self-management behaviors in hemodialysis patients in Xiamen.International Journal of Nursing Sciences. 2016; (j.ijnss.2016.02.002)
- Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 310 diseases and injuries, 1990–2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015.Lancet. 2016; 388: 1545-1602
- Chronic pain epidemiology and its clinical relevance.Br. J. Anaesth. 2013; 111: 13-18
- Comorbidities of migraine.Front. Neurol. 2010; 1: 16
- Psychiatric comorbidities of episodic and chronic migraine.J. Neurol. 2013; 260: 1960-1969
- Triggers of migraine and tension-type headache.Handb. Clin. Neurol. 2010; 97: 161-172
- Heritability of responses to painful stimuli in women: a classical twin study.Brain. 2007; 130: 3041-3049
- Individual differences in pain sensitivity: genetic and environmental contributions.Pain. 2008; 136: 21-29
- Self-management of chronic pain: a population-based study.Pain. 2005; 113: 285-292
- Headache epidemiology: how and why?.J Headache Pain. 2006; 7: 141-144
- Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 1959; 22: 719-748
- Primary headache disorders in the Republic of Georgia: prevalence and risk factors.Neurology. 2009; 73: 1796-1803
- A pilot methodological validation study for a population-based survey of the prevalences of migraine, tension-type headache and chronic daily headache in the country of Georgia.J Headache Pain. 2007; 8: 77-82