- •Epilepsy patients have lower serum MMP-3 levels than healthy controls.
- •Serum MMP-3 concentrations were significantly higher in males than in females.
- •Serum MMP-3 levels were significantly increased as a function of age.
- •Serum MMP-3 may be a potential biomarker for epilepsy if age and gender were considered.
Abbreviations:MMP-3 (matrix metalloproteinase-3), EEG (electroencephalogram), ELISAs (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays), AED (anti-epileptic drug), ROC (Receiver Operator Characteristic), MG (Myasthenia gravis)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
- Metalloproteinases in biology and pathology of the nervous system.Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2001; 2: 502-511
- Matrix metalloproteinases and epileptogenesis.Mol. Cell. Pediatr. 2014; 1
- Metalloproteinases: mediators of pathology and regeneration in the CNS.Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2005; 6: 931-944
- Matrix metalloproteinases in brain development and remodeling: synaptic functions and targets.J. Neurosci. Res. 2007; 85: 2813-2823
- Proteolytic remodeling of extracellular matrix.Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 1995; 7: 728-735
- Serum levels of matrix metalloproteinases: implications in clinical neurology.Eur. Neurol. 2012; 67: 121-128
- Matrix metalloproteinases in peripheral blood and cerebrospinal fluid in patients with Alzheimer's disease.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2010; 22: 966-972
- Roles of matrix metalloproteinase-9 and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases 1 in acute encephalopathy following prolonged febrile seizures.J. Neurol. Sci. 2008; 266: 126-130
- Increased expression of matrix metalloproteinase 9 in cortical lesions from patients with focal cortical dysplasia type IIb and tuberous sclerosis complex.Brain Res. 2012; 1453: 46-55
- Disruption of the blood-brain barrier after generalized tonic–clonic seizures correlates with cerebrospinal fluid MMP-9 levels.J. Neuroinflammation. 2013; 10: 80
- Metallothionein reduces central nervous system inflammation, neurodegeneration, and cell death following kainic acid-induced epileptic seizures.J. Neurosci. Res. 2005; 79: 522-534
- Ghrelin attenuates kainic acid-induced neuronal cell death in the mouse hippocampus.J. Endocrinol. 2010; 205: 263-270
- Matrix metalloproteinase-3 in myasthenia gravis compared to other neurological disorders and healthy controls.Autoimmune Dis. 2011; 2011: 151258
- Validation and comparison of luminex multiplex cytokine analysis kits with ELISA: determinations of a panel of nine cytokines in clinical sample culture supernatants.J. Reprod. Immunol. 2005; 66: 175-191
- DJ-1 and alpha-synuclein in human cerebrospinal fluid as biomarkers of Parkinson's disease.Brain. 2010; 133: 713-726
- Epilepsia. 1981; 22: 489-501
- Serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels in epilepsy.Eur. J. Neurol. 2014; 21: 57-64
- Circulating microRNAs are promising novel biomarkers for drug-resistant epilepsy.Sci. Rep. 2015; 5: 10201
- Molecular biomarkers of epileptogenesis.Neurotherapeutics. 2014; 11: 319-323
- Molecular biomarkers of epileptogenesis.Biomark. Med. 2011; 5: 629-633
- Roles of matrix metalloproteinases and their targets in epileptogenesis and seizures.Clin. Psychopharmacol. Neurosci. 2013; 11: 45-52
- Elevation of hippocampal MMP-3 expression and activity during trauma-induced synaptogenesis.Exp. Neurol. 2005; 192: 60-72
- Matrix metalloproteinase-3 expression profile differentiates adaptive and maladaptive synaptic plasticity induced by traumatic brain injury.J. Neurosci. Res. 2006; 84: 768-781
- Dynamic changes of proteases and protease inhibitors revealed by microarray analysis in CA3 and entorhinal cortex during epileptogenesis in the rat.Epilepsia. 2007; 48: 53-64
- Serum matrix metalloproteinase-3 as a noninvasive biomarker of histological synovitis for diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.Mediat. Inflamm. 2014; 2014: 179284
- Serum MMP-3 level as a biomarker for monitoring and predicting response to etanercept treatment in ankylosing spondylitis.J. Rheumatol. 2011; 38: 1644-1650
- Lower serum concentration of matrix metalloproteinase-3 in the acute stage of myocardial infarction.J. Intern. Med. 2006; 259: 530-536
- Matrix metalloproteinases in myasthenia gravis.Eur. Neurol. 2011; 65: 53-58
- Serum level of MMP-3 in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma—lack of association with clinico-pathological features.Asian Pac. J. Cancer Prev. 2012; 13: 4545-4548
- Upregulation of serum vascular endothelial growth factor and matrix metalloproteinase-3 in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma.Tumour Biol. 2014; 35: 5689-5693
- Serum matrix metalloproteinase-3 levels are elevated in myasthenia gravis.J. Neuroimmunol. 2008; 195: 96-99
- Increased levels of matrix metalloproteinase-3 in sera from patients with active lupus nephritis.Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 1998; 16: 409-415
- Elevated plasma stromelysin levels in arthritis.J. Rheumatol. 1994; 21: 2329-2333
- Serum matrix metalloproteinases-3 levels in patients with ankylosing spondylitis.Genet. Mol. Res. 2015; 14: 17068-17078
☆Disclosure statement: DZ serves on the editorial advisory boards of Neural Regeneration Research and the Chinese Journal of Neurology; has received research support from the Chinese Ministry of Health, the Chinese Medical Association, and the China Association against Epilepsy; and has been a commissioner of the neurology branch of the Chinese Medical Association. All other authors report no disclosures.