- •Neurotransmitter concentrations vary in different mouse brain areas.
- •Investigated neurotransmitter systems in HPRT knockout mice are unaltered.
- •Mice may be able to partly compensate for HPRT deficiency in the brain.
Abbreviations:5-HIAA (5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid), d4-dopamine (2-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)ethyl-1,1,2,2-d4-amine HCl), d4-histamine (histamine-d4 diHCl), d5-DOPAC (3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid (ring-d3, 2,2-d2)), d6-norepinephrine ((±)-norepinephrine-2,5,6,α,β,β-d6 HCl), DHPG (3,4-dihydroxyphenylethyleneglycol), GABA (4-aminobutanoic acid), HILIC (hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography), HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography), HPRT (hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase), HPRT− (HPRT knockout mice), LLOQ (lower limit of quantification), LNS (Lesch–Nyhan syndrome), MS/MS (tandem mass spectrometry), QC (quality control), SD (standard deviation), WT (wild-type mice)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Genotype-phenotype correlations in neurogenetics: Lesch–Nyhan disease as a model disorder.Brain. 2014; 137: 1282-1303
- Delineation of the motor disorder of Lesch–Nyhan disease.Brain. 2006; 129: 1201-1217
- Neurocognitive functioning in Lesch–Nyhan disease and partial hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase deficiency.J. Int. Neuropsychol. Soc. 2001; 7: 805-812
- Behavioral aspects in Lesch–Nyhan disease and its variants.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2005; 47: 673-677
- HPRT-deficient (Lesch–Nyhan) mouse embryos derived from germline colonization by cultured cells.Nature. 1987; 326: 292-295
- A potential animal model for Lesch–Nyhan syndrome through introduction of HPRT mutations into mice.Nature. 1987; 326: 295-298
- Behavioral and neurochemical evaluation of a transgenic mouse model of Lesch–Nyhan syndrome.J. Neurol. Sci. 1988; 86: 203-213
- Monoamine deficiency in a transgenic (Hprt-) mouse model of Lesch–Nyhan syndrome.Brain Res. 1989; 501: 401-406
- Amphetamine-induced behavioral phenotype in a hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase-deficient mouse model of Lesch–Nyhan syndrome.Behav. Neurosci. 1991; 105: 1004-1012
- Functional analysis of brain dopamine systems in a genetic mouse model of Lesch–Nyhan syndrome.J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 1992; 263: 596-607
- Localization of hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase mRNA in the mouse brain by in situ hybridization.Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 1992; 3: 64-78
- Brain purines in a genetic mouse model of Lesch–Nyhan disease.J. Neurochem. 1993; 60: 2036-2045
- Dopamine deficiency in a genetic mouse model of Lesch–Nyhan disease.J. Neurosci. 1994; 14: 1164-1175
- Influence of age and strain on striatal dopamine loss in a genetic mouse model of Lesch–Nyhan disease.J. Neurochem. 1999; 72: 225-229
- Tetrahydrobiopterin deficiency and dopamine loss in a genetic mouse model of Lesch–Nyhan disease.J. Inherit. Metab. Dis. 2004; 27: 165-178
- A Golgi study of neuronal architecture in a genetic mouse model for Lesch–Nyhan disease.Neurobiol. Dis. 2005; 20: 479-490
- Basal ganglia dopamine loss due to defect in purine recycling.Neurobiol. Dis. 2007; 26: 396-407
- Biochemical evidence of dysfunction of brain neurotransmitters in the Lesch–Nyhan syndrome.N. Engl. J. Med. 1981; 305: 1106-1111
- Dopamine receptor upregulation in Lesch–Nyhan syndrome: a postmortem study.Neuropediatrics. 1999; 30: 66-71
- Lesch–Nyhan disease and the basal ganglia.Brain Res. Brain Res. Rev. 2000; 32: 449-475
- Altered histamine neurotransmission in HPRT-deficient mice.Neurosci. Lett. 2015; 609: 74-80
- KEGG for integration and interpretation of large-scale molecular data sets.Nucleic Acids Res. 2012; 40: D109-D114
- The MetaCyc database of metabolic pathways and enzymes and the BioCyc collection of pathway/genome databases.Nucleic Acids Res. 2016; 44: D471-D480
- Development of neurotransmitter systems during critical periods.Exp. Neurol. 2004; 190: S8-21
- Effects of L-5-hydroxytryptophan on monoamine and amino acids turnover in the Lesch–Nyhan syndrome.J. Autism Dev. Disord. 1979; 9: 95-103
- Lesch–Nyhan syndrome: CSF neurotransmitter abnormalities.Neurology. 1985; 35: 907-911
- Lesch–Nyhan syndrome: a study of motor behavior and cerebrospinal fluid neurotransmitters.Ann. Neurol. 1988; 23: 466-469
- Lesch–Nyhan syndrome and its pathogenesis: purine concentrations in plasma and urine with metabolite profiles in CSF.J. Inherit. Metab. Dis. 1988; 11: 239-252
- Lesch–Nyhan syndrome with delayed onset of self-mutilation: hyperactivity of interneurons at the brainstem and blink reflex.Acta Neurol. Scand. 1990; 81: 184-187
- Behavioral differences between neonatal and adult 6-hydroxydopamine-treated rats to dopamine agonists: relevance to neurological symptoms in clinical syndromes with reduced brain dopamine.J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 1984; 231: 343-354
- No self-injurious behavior was found in HPRT-deficient mice treated with 9-ethyladenine.Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 1998; 61: 175-179