- •Largest SN hyperechogenicity in PD patients did not correlate with UPDRS-III.
- •Side of the largest SN hyperechogenicity was not associated with affected body side.
- •Motor symptoms of PD were not associated with contralateral SN hyperechogenicity.
Abbreviations:PD (Parkinson's disease), UPDRS-III (Unified Parkinson's disease rating scale-motor score), TCS (Transcranial sonography), SN (Substantia nigra), 123I-FP-CIT (123I-N-3-fluoropropyl-2beta-carbomethoxy-3beta-4-iodophenyl tropane)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- EFNS/MDS-ES/ENS [corrected] recommendations for the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease.Eur. J. Neurol. 2013; 20: 16-34
- The Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS): status and recommendations.Mov. Disord. 2003; 18: 738-750
- No correlation of substantia nigra echogenicity and nigrostriatal degradation in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2012; 27: 450-453
- Brain parenchyma sonography and 123I-FP-CIT SPECT in Parkinson's disease and essential tremor.Mov. Disord. 2008; 23: 405-410
- Echogenicity of the substantia nigra in Parkinson's disease and its relation to clinical findings.J. Neurol. 2001; 248: 684-689
- Transcranial sonography and [123I]FP-CIT SPECT disclose complementary aspects of Parkinson's disease.Brain J. Neurol. 2006; 129: 1188-1193
- Transcranial sonography for diagnosis of Parkinson's disease.BMC Neurol. 2010; 10: 9
- Transcranial brain sonography findings in clinical subgroups of idiopathic Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2007; 22: 48-54
- Five-Year Follow-Up Study of Hyperechogenicity of the Substantia Nigra in Parkinson's Disease.2005
- Substantia nigra echogenicity: a structural correlate of functional impairment of the dopaminergic striatal projection in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2009; 24: 1669-1675
- Transcranial brain parenchyma sonography in movement disorders: state of the art.Ultrasound Med. Biol. 2007; 33: 15-25
- Midbrain sonography in patients with essential tremor.Mov. Disord. 2007; 22: 414-417
- Long-term course of substantia nigra hyperechogenicity in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2013; 28: 455-459
- Substantia nigra echogenicity is normal in non-extrapyramidal cerebral disorders but increased in Parkinson's disease.J. Neural. Transm. 2002; 109: 191-196
- Substantia nigra hyperechogenicity as a marker of predisposition and slower progression in Parkinson's disease.Mov. Disord. 2006; 21: 94-98
- The relevance of iron in the pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2004; 1012: 193-208
- Echogenicity of the substantia nigra: association with increased iron content and marker for susceptibility to nigrostriatal injury.Arch. Neurol. 2002; 59: 999-1005
- Individual dopaminergic neurons show raised iron levels in Parkinson disease.Neurology. 2007; 68: 1820-1825
- Handedness correlates with the dominant Parkinson side: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Mov. Disord. 2012; 27: 206-210