- •50% inhaled Xenon rapidly depresses background aEEG voltage to a steady level in newborn pigs.
- •Stable hemodynamics are maintained during 24 h Xenon ventilation in newborn pigs.
- •The predictive value of aEEG voltage recovery will be influenced by Xenon ventilation.
Abbreviations:aEEG (amplitude-integrated electroencephalography), EEG (electroencephalography), HT (therapeutic hypothermia), i.v. (intravenous), MAC (minimal alveolar concentration), N2 (nitrogen), NMDA (N-methyl-d-aspartate), O2 (oxygen), Trec (Rectal temperature), Xe (Xenon)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Anesthesia and analgesia in the NICU.Clin. Perinatol. 2012; 39: 239-254
- Performance of entropy and Bispectral Index as measures of anaesthesia effect in children of different ages.Br. J. Anaesth. 2005; 95: 674-679
- Bispectral analysis during procedural sedation in the pediatric emergency department.Pediatr. Emerg. Care. 2012; 28: 1003-1008
- An observational study exploring amplitude-integrated electroencephalogram and spectral edge frequency during paediatric anaesthesia.Anaesth. Intensive Care. 2012; 40: 275-284
- Bispectral index and lower margin amplitude of the amplitude-integrated electroencephalogram in neonates.Neonatology. 2015; 107: 34-41
- Amplitude-integrated EEG and the newborn infant.Curr. Pediatr. Rev. 2014; 10: 11-15
- Acute neonatal encephalopathy and seizures recurrence: a combined aEEG/EEG study.Seizure. 2013; 22: 703-707
- Effect of hypothermia on amplitude-integrated electroencephalogram in infants with asphyxia.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: e131-e139
- Predictive value of early continuous amplitude integrated EEG recordings on outcome after severe birth asphyxia in full term infants.Arch. Dis. Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed. 1995; 72: F34-F38
- How does xenon produce anaesthesia?.Nature. 1998; 396: 324
- Neither xenon nor fentanyl induces neuroapoptosis in the newborn pig brain.Anesthesiology. 2013; 119: 345-357
- Xenon ventilation during therapeutic hypothermia in neonatal encephalopathy: a feasibility study.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 809-818
- Xenon and hypothermia combine additively, offering long-term functional and histopathologic neuroprotection after neonatal hypoxia/ischemia.Stroke. 2008; 39: 1307-1313
- Xenon enhances hypothermic neuroprotection in asphyxiated newborn pigs.Ann. Neurol. 2010; 68: 330-341
- Xenon augmented hypothermia reduces early lactate/N-acetylaspartate and cell death in perinatal asphyxia.Ann. Neurol. 2011; 70: 133-150
- Effect of stable xenon on regional cerebral blood flow and the electroencephalogram in normal volunteers.Stroke. 1991; 22: 182-189
- aepEX monitor for the measurement of hypnotic depth in patients undergoing balanced xenon anaesthesia.Br. J. Anaesth. 2012; 108: 80-88
- Assessing the depth of hypnosis of xenon anaesthesia with the EEG.Biomed. Tech. (Berl). 2010; 55: 77-82
- Bispectral index monitoring during balanced xenon or sevoflurane anaesthesia in elderly patients.Eur. J. Anaesthesiol. 2010; 27: 906-911
- Evaluation of bispectral index and auditory evoked potentials for hypnotic depth monitoring during balanced xenon anaesthesia compared with sevoflurane.Br. J. Anaesth. 2010; 105: 334-341
- Minimum alveolar concentration-awake of Xenon alone and in combination with isoflurane or sevoflurane.Anesthesiology. 2000; 93: 1188-1193
- Minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) for sevoflurane and xenon at normothermia and hypothermia in newborn pigs.Acta Anaesthesiol. Scand. 2013; 57: 646-653
- Observations on the anesthetic effect of the combination of xenon and halothane.Anesthesiology. 1969; 31: 305-309
- Anticonvulsant effect of xenon on neonatal asphyxial seizures.Arch. Dis. Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2013; 98: F437-F439
- Moderate hypothermia within 6 h of birth plus inhaled xenon versus moderate hypothermia alone after birth asphyxia (TOBY-Xe): a proof-of-concept, open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Neurol. 2015;
- A closed-circuit neonatal xenon delivery system: a technical and practical neuroprotection feasibility study in newborn pigs.Anesth. Analg. 2009; 109: 451-460
- Assessment of neonatal encephalopathy by amplitude-integrated electroencephalography.Pediatrics. 1999; 103: 1263-1271
- Rang & Dale's pharmacology.sixth ed. 2007: 503 (Chapter 41)
- An assessment of the effects of general anesthetics on developing brain structure and neurocognitive function.Anesth. Analg. 2008; 106: 1681-1707
- The young: neuroapoptosis induced by anesthetics and what to do about it.Anesth. Analg. 2010; 110: 442-448
- Toxic and protective effects of inhaled anaesthetics on the developing animal brain: systematic review and update of recent experimental work.Eur. J. Anaesthesiol. 2014; 31: 669-677
- Xenon offers stable haemodynamics independent of induced hypothermia after hypoxia-ischaemia in newborn pigs.Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38: 316-323
- Electro-encephalographic and blood gas observations in human surgical patients during xenon anesthesia.Anesthesiology. 1955; 16: 312-319
- Sleep drives metabolite clearance from the adult brain.Science. 2013; 342: 373-377
- Tolerance and dependence in neonates sedated with fentanyl during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.Anesthesiology. 1990; 73: 1136-1140
- Effect of sedation and analgesia on postoperative amplitude-integrated EEG in newborn cardiac patients.Pediatr. Res. 2010; 67: 650-655
☆Sources of funding: This study was supported by Sport Aiding Medical Research for Kids (SPARKS (UK)), the Laerdal Foundation for Acute Medicine (Norway) and the Norwegian Research Council .