- •Gut microbiota was associated with subsequent relapse risk in pediatric multiple sclerosis.
- •Fusobacteria depletion increased relapse risk (hazard ratio = 3.2; 95% CI: 1.2–9.0).
- •Findings could offer new targets to alter the MS disease course.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Commensal microbiota and myelin autoantigen cooperate to trigger autoimmune demyelination.Nature. 2011; 479: 538-541
- Proinflammatory T-cell responses to gut microbiota promote experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2011; 108: 4615-4622
- The gut microbiome in multiple sclerosis.Curr. Treat. Options Neurol. 2015 Apr; 17: 344https://doi.org/10.1007/s11940-015-0344-7
- Central nervous system demyelinating disease protection by the human commensal Bacteroides fragilis depends on polysaccharide A expression.J. Immunol. 2010; 185: 4101-4108
- Gut microbiota in early pediatric multiple sclerosis: a case–control study.(under review)Date: 2016
- Dysbiosis in the gut microbiota of patients with multiple sclerosis, with a striking depletion of species belonging to clostridia XIVa and IV clusters.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10e0137429
- Gut microbiota in multiple sclerosis: possible influence of immunomodulators.J. Investig. Med. 2015; 63: 729-734
- Isolation of Clostridium perfringens type B in an individual at first clinical presentation of multiple sclerosis provides clues for environmental triggers of the disease.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8e76359
- Selective progressive response of soil microbial community to wild oat roots.ISME J. 2009; 3: 168-178
- Ultra-high-throughput microbial community analysis on the Illumina HiSeq and MiSeq platforms.ISME J. 2012; 6: 1621-1624
- QIIME allows analysis of high-throughput community sequencing data.Nat. Methods. 2010; 7: 335-336
- Association of the intestinal microbiota and obesity.P. R. Health Sci. J. 2015; 34: 60-64
- 16S rRNA gene pyrosequencing reveals bacterial dysbiosis in the duodenum of dogs with idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e39333
- Fusobacterium nucleatum in colorectal carcinoma tissue and patient prognosis.Gut. 2015; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2015-310101
- Cancer risk in multiple sclerosis: findings from British Columbia, Canada.Brain. 2012; 135: 2973-2979
☆Statistical analyses were performed by Helen Tremlett (University of British Columbia).