- •Rural residence was associated with lower use of brain/vascular imaging after stroke.
- •Rural residents were less likely than urban ones to receive stroke unit care.
- •Rural residents were less likely than urban ones to receive post-stroke rehabilitation.
- •There was a trend toward higher 30-day stroke mortality for rural vs urban residents.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Stroke.Lancet. 2008; 371: 1612-1623
- Income inequality, mortality and self-rated health: meta-analysis of multilevel studies.BMJ. 2009; 339: b4471
- Socioeconomic status and stroke.Lancet Neurol. 2006; 5: 181-188
- Neighbourhood income and stroke care and outcomes.Neurology. 2012; 79: 1200-1207
- Adventures (and misadventures) in understanding (and reducing) disparities in stroke mortality.Stroke. 2013; 44: 3254-3259
- Racial and rural–urban disparities in stroke mortality outside the stroke belt.Ethn. Dis. 2011; 21: 307-313
- Incident cerebrovascular disease in rural and urban Alberta.Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2004; 17: 72-78
- Health care costs and mortality for Canadian urban and rural patients with diabetes: population-based trends from 1993 to 2001.Clin. Ther. 2007; 29: 1316-1324
- Prevalence of stroke in two samples (rural and urban) of old people in Spain. A pilot door-to-door study carried out by health professionals.Neurologia. 1997; 12: 157-161
- Prospective community-based study of stroke in Northern Portugal. Incidence and case fatality in rural and urban populations.Stroke. 2004; 35: 2048-2053
- Incidence and case-fatality rates of stroke in Burgundy (France). Comparison between a rural (Avallon) and an urban (Dijon) population between 1989 and 1993.Eur. J. Neurol. 1996; 3: 109-115
- Stroke in urban and rural populations in north-east Bulgaria: incidence and case fatality findings from a ‘hot pursuit’ study.BMC Public Health. 2002; 2 (Epub 2002 Sep 2)
- Analysis of Canadian population with potential access to intravenous thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 1998; 29: 2304-2310
- Validity of stroke diagnosis on hospital discharge records in Saskatchewan, Canada: implications for stroke surveillance.Cerebrovasc. Dis. 1999; 9: 224-230
- Canadian Institute for Health Information Discharge Abstract Database: A Validation Study.Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto (ON)2006
Statistics Canada. Upper income limits and income shares of adjusted after-tax income quintiles, by economic family type, 2011 constant dollar. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-202-x/2009000/analysis-analyses-eng.htm. Date modified: 2013-02-19.
- Definitions of Rural.Statistics Canada Agriculture Division, Ottawa (ON)2002 (Agriculture and rural working paper series working paper no.61). Available at: http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/28031/1/wp020061.pdf (Accessed January 4, 2016)
- Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2013; 11 (Stroke Unit Trialists' Collaboration)
- Survival of unselected stroke patients in a stroke unit compared with conventional care.Q. J. Med. 2002; 95: 143-152
- Differences in long term outcome between patients treated in stroke units and in general ward.Stroke. 2001; 32: 2124-2130
- Stroke unit versus neurology ward. A before and after study.J. Neurol. 2003; 250: 1363-1369
- Recommendations for the establishment of primary stroke centers.JAMA. 2000; 283: 3102-3109
- Recombinant tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischaemic stroke: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2012; 379: 2364-2372
- Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2013; 44: 870-947
- Canadian Stroke Best Practice Recommendations: secondary prevention of stroke guidelines, update 2014.Int. J. Stroke. 2015; 10: 282-291
- Guidelines for the management of ischaemic stroke and transient ischaemic attack 2008.Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2008; 25: 457-507
- Stroke: Diagnosis and Initial Management of Acute Stroke and Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA).National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, London (UK)2008 (Available: www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG68NICEGuideline.pdf (accessed 2014, Oct 26))
U.S. Census Bureau. 2010 Census Urban and Rural Classification and Urban Area Criteria. Available online: https://www.census.gov/geo/reference/ua/urban-rural-2010.html. Last Revised: February 9, 2015.
Statistics Canada. Canada's rural population since 1851. Population and dwelling counts, 2011 Census. http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/as-sa/98-310-x/98-310-x2011003_2-eng.pdf. Date modified: April 4, 2015.
Hall, R, Khan, F, O'Callaghan, C, et al. Ontario Stroke Evaluation Report 2014. Available Online: http://ontariostrokenetwork.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Full-Report2.pdf. Date visited: Dec 21, 2014.
- Evaluation of rural stroke services: does implementation of coordinators and pathways improve care in rural hospitals?.Stroke. 2013 Oct; 44: 2848-2853
- Disparities in evaluation at certified primary stroke centers: reasons for geographic and racial differences in stroke.Stroke. 2013 Jul; 44: 1930-1935
- Quality of care and mortality are worse in chronic kidney disease patients living in remote areas.Kidney Int. 2011; 79: 210-217
- Similar secondary stroke prevention and medication persistence rates among rural and urban patients.J. Rural. Health. 2011; 27: 401-408
- The use of telemedicine in the management of acute stroke.Neurosurg. Focus. 2014 Jan; 36E4
- Stroke in rural areas and small communities.Stroke. 2008; 39: 1920-1928
- Recommendations for the establishment of stroke systems of care: recommendations from the American Stroke Association's Task Force on the Development of Stroke Systems.Stroke. 2005; 36: 690-703
- Organized stroke care.Stroke. 2006; 37: 326-328
- Rural-urban differences in acute stroke management practices: a modifiable disparity.Arch. Neurol. 2008; 65: 887-889
- Telestroke: a multi-site, emergency-based telemedicine service in Ontario.J. Telemed. Telecare. 2006; 12: 141-145
- Effect of a provincial system of stroke care delivery on stroke care and outcomes.CMAJ. 2013; 185: E483-E491
- Patterns of emergency medical services use and its association with timely stroke treatment: findings from get with the guidelines-stroke.Circ. Cardiovasc. Qual. Outcomes. 2013; 6: 262-269
- Functional outcome measures in contemporary stroke trials.Int. J. Stroke. 2009; 4: 200-206