- •We evaluated ultrasound and MRI in assessing peripheral nerve pathology in CIDP.
- •Both methods showed the same morphological nerve alterations in correlation to ODSS.
- •Patients with low ODSS and no escalation therapy had normal fascicular structure.
- •Patients with high ODSS and escalating therapy showed isolated enlarged fascicles.
- •Degenerated nerves correlated with high ODSS despite escalating treatment.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
- Standard and escalating treatment of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy.Ther. Adv. Neurol. Disord. 2011; 4: 193-200
- Pathophysiology of immune-mediated demyelinating neuropathies—part II: neurology.Muscle Nerve. Jan 2014; 49: 4-20
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy: update on clinical features, phenotypes and treatment options.Curr. Opin. Neurol. Oct 2013; 26: 496-502
- MRI of the cauda equina in CIDP: clinical correlations.J. Neurol. Sci. 1999; 170: 36-44
- Spinal root and plexus hypertrophy in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.Brain. 1999; 122: 1383-1390
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the brachial plexus in patients with multifocal motor neuropathy.Neurology. 1997; 48: 1218-1224
- Reconstruction magnetic resonance neurography in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.Ann. Neurol. 2015; 77: 333-337
- Correlation of nerve ultrasound, electrophysiological and clinical findings in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.J. Neuroimaging. 2015; 25: 207-216
- Peripheral nerve hypertrophy in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy detected by ultrasonography.Intern. Med. 2009; 48: 581-582
- Detection of cervical nerve root hypertrophy by ultrasonography in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy.J. Neurol. Sci. 2004; 219: 15-21
- Sonographic detection of diffuse peripheral nerve hypertrophy in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy.J. Clin. Ultrasound. 2000; 28: 488-491
- European Federation of Neurological Societies/Peripheral Nerve Society guideline on management of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy: report of a joint task force of the European Federation of Neurological Societies and the Peripheral Nerve Society— first revision.Eur. J. Neurol. Mar 2010; 17: 356-363
- Clinical electromyography and neurography.in: 6th Edition. Koehlhammer. 2014: 215
- Cross sectional area reference values for sonography of peripheral nerves and brachial plexus.Clin. Neurophysiol. Sep 2013; 124: 1881-1888
- MR of the cauda equina.Am. J. Neuroradiol. 1987; 8: 893-900
- Clinimetric evaluation of a new overall disability scale in immune mediated polyneuropathies.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. May 2002; 72: 596-601
- Increased cerebrospinal fluid protein and motor conduction studies as prognostic markers of outcome and nerve ultrasound changes in Guillain–Barré syndrome.J. Neurol. Sci. May 15 2014; 340: 37-43
- Pattern analysis of nerve enlargement using ultrasonography in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.Clin. Neurophysiol. Sep. 2014; 125: 1893-1899
- Heterogeneity of root and nerve ultrasound pattern in CIDP patients.Clin. Neurophysiol. Jan 2014; 125: 160-165
- Nerve size in chronic inflammatory demyelinating neuropathy varies with disease activity and therapy response over time: a retrospective ultrasound study.Muscle Nerve. Nov 2014; 50: 733-738
☆Funding source: There was no funding source.
☆☆Conflicts of interest: Kalliopi Pitarokoili, Antonios Kerasnoudis and Marc Schlamann report no disclosures. R. Gold has received consultation fees and speakers honoraria from BayerSchering, BiogenIdec, MerckSerono, Novartis, Sanofi-Aventis and TEVA. He also acknowledges grant support from Bayer Schering, Biogen Idec, Merck Serono, Sanofi-Aventis and TEVA all not related to this manuscript. Min-Suk Yoon has received speaker's honoraria from CSL Behring, all not related to this manuscript.