- •Both rs12425791 and rs11833579 were associated with increased risk of LAA stroke.
- •The variant carriers had significantly decreased NINJ2 mRNA expression levels in CHB.
- •Chromosome 12p13 variants might be used as biomarkers for LAA stroke susceptibility.
Recently, a genome-wide association study (GWAS) identified two common variants (rs12425791 and rs11833579) on Chromosome 12p13 that confer risk for stroke. The aim of this study was to evaluate whether these two variants are associated with risk of large artery atherosclerotic (LAA) stroke in a Chinese population. Rs12425791 and rs11833579 were genotyped using the improved multiple ligase detection reaction in 423 patients with LAA stroke and 423 healthy controls. We found a statistically significantly increased risk of LAA stroke associated with the rs12425791AA genotype (OR = 2.28, 95% CI = 1.15–4.51) and rs11833579 AA genotype (OR = 1.92, 95% CI = 1.16–3.15) compared with their GG genotype. When we evaluated these two polymorphisms together, we found that the combined genotypes with 3–4 variant alleles (rs12425791A and rs11833579A) were associated with an increased risk of LAA stroke (OR = 2.06, 95% CI = 1.26–3.36) compared to 0–2 variants. Moreover, genotype–phenotype correlation analysis showed that rs12425791AA and rs11833579AA carriers had significantly decreased NINJ2 mRNA expression levels in the Chinese population (P = 0.003 for rs12425791 and P = 0.005 for rs11833579). These results suggested that the rs12425791 and rs11833579 polymorphisms on Chromosome 12p13 may be associated with the risk of LAA stroke and might be used as candidate biomarkers for LAA stroke susceptibility.
Abbreviations:GWAS (genome-wide association study), SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism), LAA (large artery atherosclerotic), LD (linkage disequilibrium)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2095-2128
- Genetic risk factors for stroke and carotid atherosclerosis: insights into pathophysiology from candidate gene approaches.Lancet Neurol. 2004; 3: 227-235
- Genetics and ischaemic stroke.Brain. 2000; 123: 1784-1812
- Notch3 mutations in CADASIL, a hereditary adult-onset condition causing stroke and dementia.Nature. 1996; 383: 707-710
- New players in the genetics of stroke.N. Engl. J. Med. 2002; 347: 1711-1712
- Genetic association studies in stroke: methodological issues and proposed standard criteria.Stroke J. Cerebr. Circul. 2005; 36: 2027-2031
- Genetics of ischaemic stroke.Lancet Neurol. 2007; 6: 149-161
- Meta-analysis of genetic studies in ischemic stroke: thirty-two genes involving approximately 18,000 cases and 58,000 controls.Arch. Neurol. 2004; 61: 1652-1661
- Genomewide association studies of stroke.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 360: 1718-1728
- Ninjurin2, a novel homophilic adhesion molecule, is expressed in mature sensory and enteric neurons and promotes neurite outgrowth.J. Neurosci. 2000; 20: 187-195
- Subtypes and one-year survival of first-ever stroke in Chinese patients: the Nanjing Stroke Registry.Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2006; 22: 130-136
- Capillary and microelectrophoretic separations of ligase detection reaction products produced from low-abundant point mutations in genomic DNA.Electrophoresis. 2004; 25: 1668-1677
- PCR/LDR/capillary electrophoresis for detection of single-nucleotide differences between fetal and maternal DNA in maternal plasma.Prenat. Diagn. 2009; 29: 217-222
- SNPexp — a web tool for calculating and visualizing correlation between HapMap genotypes and gene expression levels.BMC bioinf. 2010; 11: 600
- Relative impact of nucleotide and copy number variation on gene expression phenotypes.Science. 2007; 315: 848-853
Published online: June 30, 2015
Accepted: June 29, 2015
Received in revised form: June 26, 2015
Received: September 6, 2014
© 2015 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.