Intravascular large B-cell lymphoma (IVLBCL) is characterized by an intraluminal proliferation of lymphoma cells, which frequently causes vascular occlusive disorders in the central nervous system (CNS) [
]. Although the advent of rituximab has improved the survival of patients with B-cell lymphoma [
- Ferreri A.J.
- Campo E.
- Seymour J.F.
- Willemze R
- Ilariucci F
- Ambrosetti A
- et al.
Intravascular lymphoma: clinical presentation, natural history, management and prognostic factors in a series of 38 cases, with special emphasis on the ‘cutaneous variant’.
Br J Haematol. 2004; 127: 173-183
], the treatment for neurological deficits caused by IVLBCL-associated angiopathy has not yet been established. Here, we report a patient with CNS-IVLBCL, responding to subacute heparin administration.
- Takahashi H.
- Tomita N.
- Yokoyama M.
- Tsunoda S
- Yano T
- Murayama K
- et al.
Prognostic impact of extranodal involvement in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in the rituximab era.
Cancer. 2012; 118: 4166-4172
Abbreviations:CNS (central nervous system), CT (computed tomography), FDG-PET (fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography), IVLBCL (intravascular large B-cell lymphoma), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intravascular lymphoma: clinical presentation, natural history, management and prognostic factors in a series of 38 cases, with special emphasis on the ‘cutaneous variant’.Br J Haematol. 2004; 127: 173-183
- Prognostic impact of extranodal involvement in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in the rituximab era.Cancer. 2012; 118: 4166-4172
- Intravascular lymphomatosis presenting with sudden hearing loss.J Neurol Sci. 2005; 232: 105-109
- Disseminated intravascular B-cell lymphoma: clinicopathological features and outcome of three cases treated with anthracycline-based immunochemotherapy.Oncologist. 2006; 11: 923-928
- Cancer cell adhesion and metastasis: selectins, integrins, and the inhibitory potential of heparins.Int J Cell Biol. 2012; 2012: 676731
- The role of VLA-4 binding for experimental melanoma metastasis and its inhibition by heparin.Thromb Res. 2014; 133: 855-862
- A meta-analysis and systematic review of the efficacy and safety of anticoagulants as cancer treatment: impact on survival and bleeding complications.Cancer. 2007; 110: 1149-1161
- The inhibition of the integrin VLA-4 in MV3 melanoma cell binding by non-anticoagulant heparin derivatives.Thromb Res. 2012; 129: 603-610
- Intravascular large cell lymphoma: clinicopathological, immuno-histochemical and molecular genetic studies.Leuk Lymphoma. 1999; 34: 569-580
- Intravascular lymphomatosis of the skin as a manifestation of recurrent B-cell lymphoma.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003; 48: S1-4
Published online: March 24, 2015
Accepted: March 16, 2015
Received in revised form: March 11, 2015
Received: January 22, 2015
© 2015 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.