- •DTI and DKI techniques were compared in the assessment of WM abnormalities in NMO.
- •DTI results reinforced the hypothesis that NMO has diffuse brain involvement.
- •DKI demonstrated limitation for the evaluation of WM integrity in NMO patients.
Background and purpose
In patients with neuromyelitis optica (NMO), damage to extensive regions of normal-appearing WM has been observed. To investigate the possibility that microstructural alterations are present in these WM tracts, DTI and diffusion kurtosis imaging (DKI) techniques were applied and compared.
Material and methods
Thirteen patients with NMO and 13 demographically and gender-matched controls underwent MRI using a 3T MR scanner, with DTI/DKI sequence acquired jointly fitted. Parametric fractional anisotropy maps were derived from diffusion tensor (FADTI) values using b-values of 0 s/mm2 and 1000 s/mm2. Parametric fractional anisotropy maps derived from diffusion kurtosis tensor (FADKI) values were also acquired using b-values of 0, 1000, and 2000 s/mm2. Mean FADTI and FADKI values were also calculated. A ROI analysis of the genu and splenium of the corpus callosum (CC), cerebral peduncle (CP), and optic radiation (OR) was also performed. Student's t-test and corrections for multiple comparisons were used to evaluate the data obtained.
A significant decrease in the FADTI values obtained for NMO patients versus controls was observed for the splenium of the CC and the left OR (p < 0.05). However, just a positive trend was observed for the FADKI values associated with the same WM tracts.
To our knowledge, this is the first study to analyze WM tracts of NMO patients using DTI and DKI. These data indicate that DKI could have limitations in evaluating the WM integrity in NMO patients. Furthermore, the results obtained are consistent with the hypothesis that diffuse brain involvement characterizes NMO.
Abbreviations:NMO (neuromyelitis optica), FA (fractional anisotropy), DKI (diffusion kurtosis imaging), FADTI (fractional anisotropy derived from diffusion tensor), FADKI (fractional anisotropy derived from diffusion kurtosis tensor), CC (corpus callosum), CP (cerebral peduncles), OR (optic radiations)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Revised diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica.Neurology. 2006; 66: 1485-1489
- Neuromyelitis optica: clinical manifestations and neuroimaging features.Neurol Clin. 2013; 31: 139-152
- Brain MRI abnormalities in neuromyelitis optica.Eur J Radiol. 2011; 80: 445-449
- A serum autoantibody marker of neuromyelitis optica: distinction from multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2004; 364: 2106-2112
- IgG marker of optic-spinal multiple sclerosis binds to the aquaporin-4 water channel.J Exp Med. 2005; 202: 473-477
- Molecular characterization of an aquaporin cDNA from brain: candidate osmoreceptor and regulator of water balance.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994; 91: 13052-13056
- Role of aquaporin-4 water channel in the development and integrity of the blood–brain barrier.J Cell Sci. 2001; 114: 1297-1307
- Diffusion-weighted MR imaging of anisotropic water diffusion in cat central nervous system.Radiology. 1990; 176: 439-445
- Diffusional kurtosis imaging: the quantification of non-Gaussian water diffusion by means of magnetic resonance imaging.Magn Reson Med. 2005; 53: 1432-1440
- White matter characterization with diffusional kurtosis imaging.Neuroimage. 2011; 58: 177-188
- MR diffusion imaging in ischemic stroke.Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2011; 21: 345-377
- Preliminary evidence of altered gray and white matter microstructural development in the frontal lobe of adolescents with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a diffusional kurtosis imaging study.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2011; 33: 17-23
- Thalamus and cognitive impairment in mild traumatic brain injury: a diffusional kurtosis imaging study.J Neurotrauma. 2012; 29: 2318-2327
- Cerebral gliomas: diffusional kurtosis imaging analysis of microstructural differences.Radiology. 2010; 254: 876-881
- Identification and characterization of Huntington related pathology: an in vivo DKI imaging study.Neuroimage. 2012; 63: 653-662
- A better characterization of spinal cord damage in multiple sclerosis: a diffusional kurtosis imaging study.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2013; 34: 1846-1852
- The role of demyelination in neuromyelitis optica damage: a diffusion tensor MR imaging study.Radiology. 2012; 263: 235-242
- Brain involvement in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Arch Neurol. 2011; 68: 1432-1439
- Brain magnetic resonance imaging abnormalities in neuromyelitis optica.Acta Neurol Scand. 2008; 118: 218-225
- A serum autoantibody marker of neuromyelitis optica.Lancet. 2004; 364: 2106-2112
- Pathogenesis of normal appearing white matter damage in neuromyelitis optica: diffusion-tensor MR imaging.Radiology. 2008; 246: 222-228
- Differential diagnosis of suspected multiple sclerosis: a consensus approach.Mult Scler. 2008; 14: 1157-1174
- Brain magnetic resonance imaging findings in acute relapses of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Mult Scler. 2008; 14: 248-251
- Magnetization transfer and diffusion tensor MRI show gray matter damage in neuromyelitis optica.Neurology. 2004; 62: 476-478
- Relapsing neuromyelitis optica and relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: differentiation at diffusion-tensor MR imaging of corpus callosum.Radiology. 2007; 244: 249-256
- Diffusion imaging, white matter and psychopathology.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2011; 7: 9.1-9.23
- Diffusion imaging in multiple sclerosis: research and clinical implications.NMR Biomed. 2010; 23: 865-872
- Neurite density from magnetic resonance diffusion measurements at ultrahigh field: comparison with light microscopy and electron microscopy.Neuroimage. 2010; 49: 205-216
- A role for humoral mechanisms in the pathogenesis of Devic's neuromyelitis optica.Brain. 2001; 125: 1450-1461
- Oligodendrocytes are damaged by neuromyelitis optica immunoglobulin G via astrocyte injury.Brain. 2010; 133: 2578-2591
- Quantification of cervical cord pathology in primary progressive MS using diffusion tensor MRI.Neurology. 2005; 64: 631-635
- Diffusion tensor imaging in multiple sclerosis: assessment of regional differences in the axial plane within normal-appearing cervical spinal cord.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006; 27: 1189-1193
- MRI quantification of non-Gaussian water diffusion by kurtosis analysis.NMR Biomed. 2010; 23: 698-710
Published online: July 24, 2014
Accepted: July 11, 2014
Received in revised form: July 9, 2014
Received: February 3, 2014
© 2014 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.