- •This is the first report about ICAM1 gene polymorphisms and migraine.
- •The E/E genotype of the K469E polymorphism is an important risk factor for migraine.
- •This polymorphism affects ICAM1 serum levels.
- •Opening up the potential development of ICAM1 K469E E allele-specific therapeutics
To investigate the associations of a polymorphism in the intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM1) gene, and ICAM1 serum levels, with migraine and migraine subtypes in a Han Chinese population.
We used PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR–RFLP) and gene sequencing to analyze the genotype and allelic frequencies of the K469E (rs5498) and G241R (rs1799969) ICAM1 polymorphisms between migraine cases and controls. Serum levels of ICAM1 were tested by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).
(1) We found significant higher frequencies of the distribution of the E/E genotype and the E allele of the K469E polymorphism between migraine cases and controls (χ2 = 4.948 & P < 0.05 and χ2 = 13.990 & P < 0.01, respectively), and between a migraine without aura subtype of migraine cases and controls (χ2 = 5.265 & P < 0.05; χ2 = 20.501 & P < 0.01, respectively). After correction by conditional logistical regression, the frequency distribution difference of the E/E genotype between the migraine cases and controls remained statistically significant (OR = 32.85, 95% CI:4.22–28.79, P = 0.007.) (2) ICAM1 serum levels were significantly higher in migraine cases than in controls (P < 0.01) and, within migraine cases, were significantly higher in K469E E allele carriers than in K allele carriers (P < 0.01).
Our data indicate that the E/E genotype of the ICAM1 K469E polymorphism may be an important risk factor for migraine in a Han Chinese population, and that this polymorphism affects ICAM1 serum levels. Although the independent risk factor constituted by this polymorphism in other ethnic groups requires further study, our studies raise the possibility of the development of ICAM1 K469E E allele-specific therapeutics for the prevention and treatment of migraine in the Chinese Han population.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Parthenolide inhibits the LPS-induced secretion of IL-6 and TNF-a and NF-kB nuclear translocation in BV-2 microglia.Phytother Res. 2012; 26: 1405-1409https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.3732
- The effect of nuclear factor kappa B inhibitor on proinflammatory cytokines expressed by normal human monocytic cell line who be trained in serum of migraine patients.J Int Neurol Dep Neurosurg. 2010; 37: 215-217
- Changes of neurogenic inflammation factors associated with dural mast cell degranulation of migraine rats.Chin J Neurol. 2011; 44: 563-567
- The G-308A promoter variant of the tumor necrosis factor-alpha gene is associated with migraine without aura.J Neurol. 2006; 253: 1589-1593
- Cytokines, nerve growth factor and inflammatory hyperalgesia: the contribution of tumour necrosis factor alpha.Br J Pharmacol. 1997; 121: 417-424
- Cytokine polymorphism in patients with migraine: some suggestive clues of migraine and inflammation.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 492-497https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2009.00791.x
- Anti-inflammatory plasma cytokines in children and adolescents with migraine headaches.Pharmacol Rep. 2010; 62: 287-291
- Investigation of TNFA 308G > A and TNFB 252G > A polymorphisms in genetic susceptibility to migraine.J Neurol. 2010; 257: 898-904https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-009-5430-x
- Genetic association of 5-HT1A and 5-HT1B gene polymorphisms with migraine in a Turkish population.J Neurol Sci. 2013; 326: 64-67https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2013.01.013
- ICAM1 and VCAM1 polymorphisms, coronary artery calcium, and circulating levels of soluble ICAM1: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).Atherosclerosis. 2008; 201: 339-344https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2008.02.031
- Combined effect of cytokine gene polymorphisms on end-stage knee osteoarthritis from Chinese Han population.Rheumatol Int. 2012; 32: 3625-3629https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-011-2169-3
- G241R and K469E polymorphisms of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM1) could predispose to Hashimoto thyroiditis.Mol Biol Rep. 2012; 39: 10723-10729https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-012-1963-7
- Variation in the ICAM1–ICAM4–ICAM5 locus is associated with systemic lupus erythematosus susceptibility in multiple ancestries.Ann Rheum Dis. 2012; 71: 1809-1814https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2011-201110
- Intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM1) gene variant is associated with coronary artery calcification independent of soluble ICAM1 levels.J Investig Med. 2004; 52: 515-522
- Polymorphisms of the ICAM1 gene are associated with biliary atresia.Dig Dis Sci. 2008; 53: 2000-2004https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-007-9914-1
- Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 G241R polymorphism predicts risk of incident ischemic stroke: Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study.Stroke. 2010; 41: 1038-1040
- Study on the expression of ICAM1 in rat brain after intravenous injection of nitroglycerin.J China Med Univ. 2004; 33: 99-101
- Proinflammatory cytokines, adhesion molecules, and lymphocyte integrin expression in the internal jugular blood of migraine patients without aura assessed ictally.Headache. 2006; 46: 200-207
- Inhibition of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM1), soluble ICAM1 and interleukin-4 by nitric oxide expression in migraine patients.J Mol Med. 1997; 75: 448-453
- The international classification of headache disorders. 2nd edition.Cephalalgia. 2004; 24: 9-160
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research.Psychiatry Res. 1989; 28: 193-213
- Genetic aspects of migraine headaches.Nurse Pract. 2013; 38: 12-13https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NPR.0000428817.49633.d5
- An update on the blood vessel in migraine.Curr Opin Neurol. 2010; 23: 266-274
- Structural and functional abnormalities in migraine patients without aura.NMR Biomed. 2013; 26: 58-64https://doi.org/10.1002/nbm.2819
- Genetic variations in tumor necrosis factor alpha, interleukin-10 genes and migraine susceptibility.Pain Med. 2011; 12: 1464-1469https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2011.01200.x
- Two mechanisms involved in trigeminal CGRP release: implications for migraine treatment.Headache. 2013; 53: 67-80
- Sumatriptan inhibition of N-type calcium channel mediated signaling in dural CGRP terminal fibres.Neuropharmacology. 2012; 63: 362-367
- The effect of tobacco smoking on the levels of circulating E-selectin in migraineurs.Przegl Lek. 2010; 67: 897-900
- Neuropeptides and neuropeptide receptors: drug targets, and peptide and non-peptide ligands: a tribute to Prof. Dieter Seebach.Chem Biodivers. 2012; 9: 2367-2387https://doi.org/10.1002/cbdv.201200288
- Rat model of migraine with the expression of c-Fos in periaqueductal gray and coexist with 5- serotonin.Chin J Neurol. 2004; 37: 504-506
- Association study of calcitonin gene- related polypeptide-alpha (CALCA) gene polymorphism with migraine.Brain Res. 2011; 1378: 119-124https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2010.12.072
- Candidate genetic variants in the fibrinogen, methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 genes and plasma levels of fibrinogen, homocysteine, and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 among various race/ethnic groups: data from the Women's Genome Health Study.Am Heart J. 2009; 157 ([777-783.e1])
- Familial hemiplegic migraine with prolonged coma and cerebellar atrophy: CACNA1A T666M mutation in a Korean family.J.Korean Med Sci. 2012; 27: 1124-1127https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2012.27.9.1124
- Intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM)-1 and vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM)-1 at the early stages of atherosclerosis in a rat model.In Vivo. 2012; 26: 243-250
- Genistein inhibits ox-LDL-induced VCAM-1, ICAM1 and MCP-1 expression of HUVECs through heme oxygenase-1.Arch Med Res. 2013; 44: 13-20
- Hydrogen sulfide donor, GYY4137, exhibits anti-atherosclerotic activity in high fat fed apolipoprotein E(-/-) mice.Br J Pharmacol. 2013; 169: 1795-1809https://doi.org/10.1111/bph.12246
- Pharmacogenomics in migraine: catching biomarkers for a predictable disease control [corrected].Expert Rev Neurother. 2009; 9: 1267-1269https://doi.org/10.1586/ern.09.80
- Genetics of migraine and pharmacogenomics: some considerations.J Headache Pain. 2007; 8: 334-339
Published online: July 17, 2014
Accepted: July 12, 2014
Received in revised form: July 9, 2014
Received: June 10, 2014
© 2014 Published by Elsevier Inc.