- •We assessed diastolic dysfunction in ischemic stroke with AF.
- •We defined diastolic dysfunction as a high E/e′ on transthoracic echocardiography.
- •High E/e′ predicted in-hospital death in ischemic stroke patients with AF.
The aim of this study was to identify whether diastolic dysfunction predicts in-hospital death in ischemic stroke patients with atrial fibrillation.
We retrospectively analyzed data from enrolled patients with ischemic stroke patients with atrial fibrillation who presented within 24 h of onset. All patients underwent transthoracic echocardiography to evaluate diastolic filling pressure estimated as the ratio of early transmitral flow velocity (E) to mitral annular velocity (e′) within 24 h of admission. We evaluated initial ischemic lesion volume and National Institute of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) score.
Two hundred and sixty-six patients were enrolled. During hospitalization, 30 patients (11%) died. The deceased group had a higher NIHSS score, a higher D-dimer level, a higher creatinine level, a larger initial ischemic lesion volume and a higher E/e′ ratio than those in the survival group. In a multivariate analysis, a higher E/e′ ratio was an independent predictor of in-hospital death. The cutoff value for the E/e′ ratio for prediction in-hospital death was 20 with the sensitivity of 75% and specificity of 86%.
Diastolic dysfunction may be associated with in-hospital death in ischemic stroke patients with atrial fibrillation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acute stroke with atrial fibrillation. The Copenhagen Stroke Study.Stroke. 1996; 27: 1765-1769
- Impact of atrial fibrillation on mortality, stroke, and medical costs.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 229-234
- Outcomes for patients with ischaemic stroke and atrial fibrillation: the PRISM study (A Program of Research Informing Stroke Management).Cerebrovasc Dis. 2011; 32: 370-382
- Atrial fibrillation as a predictive factor for severe stroke and early death in 15,831 patients with acute ischaemic stroke.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005; 76: 679-683
- Risk of early death and recurrent stroke and effect of heparin in 3169 patients with acute ischemic stroke and atrial fibrillation in the International Stroke Trial.Stroke. 2001; 32: 2333-2337
- Plasma brain natriuretic peptide predicts death during hospitalization in acute ischaemic stroke and transient ischaemic attack patients with atrial fibrillation.Eur J Neurol. 2011; 18: 165-169
- Abnormal left ventricular filling: an early finding in mild to moderate systemic hypertension.Am J Cardiol. 1984; 53: 120-126
- Left ventricular diastolic function in hypertension: relation to left ventricular mass and systolic function.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1984; 3: 1500-1506
- Mortality rate in patients with diastolic dysfunction and normal systolic function.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 1082-1087
- Impact of progression of diastolic dysfunction on mortality in patients with normal ejection fraction.Circulation. 2012; 125: 782-788
- Impact of heart failure with normal ejection fraction on the occurrence of ischaemic stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation.Heart. 2013; 99: 17-21
- Hemorrhagic transformation within 36 hours of a cerebral infarct: relationships with early clinical deterioration and 3-month outcome in the European Cooperative Acute Stroke Study I (ECASS I) cohort.Stroke. 1999; 30: 2280-2284
- Tissue Doppler-derived index of left ventricular filling pressure, E/E′, predicts survival of patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation.Heart. 2006; 92: 1248-1252
- Effect of elevated left ventricular diastolic filling pressure on the frequency of left atrial appendage thrombus in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation.Am J Cardiol. 2011; 107: 417-422
- Isolated left ventricular diastolic dysfunction: implications for exercise left ventricular performance in patients without congestive heart failure.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2006; 19: 491-498
- Nationwide frequency and association of heart failure on stroke outcomes in the United States.J Card Fail. 2009; 15: 11-16
- Prediction of early neurological deterioration using diffusion- and perfusion-weighted imaging in hyperacute middle cerebral artery ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2002; 33: 2197-2203
- Age- and gender-specific brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) reference ranges in primary care.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2014; (in press)
- Serum albumin in ischemic stroke patients: the higher the better. The Bergen Stroke Study.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2009; 28: 13-17
- Usefulness of inflammatory and haemostatic markers to predict short-term risk for death in middle-aged ischaemic stroke patients.Acta Neurol Scand. 2008; 117: 415-420
- Predictive value of admission blood glucose level on short-term mortality in acute cerebral ischemia.J Diabetes Complications. 2012; 26: 70-76
- Risk score for in-hospital ischemic stroke mortality derived and validated within the Get With the Guidelines-Stroke Program.Circulation. 2010; 122: 1496-1504
- Comparison of 30-day mortality models for profiling hospital performance in acute ischemic stroke with vs without adjustment for stroke severity.JAMA. 2012; 308: 257-264
Published online: July 12, 2014
Accepted: July 4, 2014
Received in revised form: July 3, 2014
Received: March 17, 2014
© 2014 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.