- •We assess the safety of high-dose BCNU-loaded PLGA implants in Chinese patients.
- •Subgaleal effusion is the most common adverse event.
- •BCNU-loaded PLGA implants are well tolerated in Chinese patients.
- •The OS of the cohort of patients is longer than that of historical control.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Chemotherapy wafers for high grade glioma.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 3: CD007294
- Placebo-controlled trial of safety and efficacy of intraoperative controlled delivery by biodegradable polymers of chemotherapy for recurrent gliomas. The Polymer-brain Tumor Treatment Group.Lancet. Apr 22 1995; 345: 1008-1012
- A phase 3 trial of local chemotherapy with biodegradable carmustine (BCNU) wafers (Gliadel wafers) in patients with primary malignant glioma.Neuro Oncol. Apr 2003; 5: 79-88
- Interstitial chemotherapy with drug polymer implants for the treatment of recurrent gliomas.J Neurosurg. Mar 1991; 74: 441-446
- Glioblastoma and other malignant gliomas: a clinical review.JAMA. Nov 6 2013; 310: 1842-1850
- Drug and cell encapsulation: alternative delivery options for the treatment of malignant brain tumors.Adv Drug Deliv Rev. Jan 31 2014; 67-68: 142-153
- Sustainable release of carmustine from biodegradable poly[((D, L))-lactide-co-glycolide] nanofibrous membranes in the cerebral cavity: in vitro and in vivo studies.Expert Opin Drug Deliv. Jul 2013; 10: 879-888
- Implanted carmustine wafers followed by concomitant radiochemotherapy to treat newly diagnosed malignant gliomas: prospective, observational, multicenter study on 92 cases.Ann Surg Oncol. Jun 2013; 20: 2065-2072
- Biodegradable carmustine wafers (Gliadel) alone or in combination with chemoradiotherapy: the French experience.Ann Surg Oncol. Jul 2010; 17: 1740-1746
- The combination of carmustine wafers and temozolomide for the treatment of malignant gliomas. A comprehensive review of the rationale and clinical experience.J Neurooncol. Jun 2013; 113: 163-174
- Poly lactic-co-glycolic acid (PLGA) as biodegradable controlled drug delivery carrier.Polymers (Basel). Sep 1 2011; 3: 1377-1397
- Resorbable polymer microchips releasing BCNU inhibit tumor growth in the rat 9L flank model.J Control Release. Nov 6 2007; 123: 172-178
- Dose escalation of carmustine in surgically implanted polymers in patients with recurrent malignant glioma: a new approaches to brain tumor therapy CNS consortium trial.J Clin Oncol. May 1 2003; 21: 1845-1849
- First-line treatment of malignant glioma with carmustine implants followed by concomitant radiochemotherapy: a multicenter experience.Neurosurg Rev. Oct 2010; 33: 441-449
- Evaluation of post-operative complications associated with repeat resection and BCNU wafer implantation in recurrent glioblastoma.Acta Neurochir (Wien). Feb 2014; 156: 313-323
- Safety profile of carmustine wafers in malignant glioma: a review of controlled trials and a decade of clinical experience.Curr Med Res Opin. Nov 2008; 24: 3239-3257
- Risk management in the treatment of malignant gliomas with BCNU wafer implants.Cent Eur Neurosurg. Nov 2010; 71: 199-206