- •We showed that expression of sodium pumps increases in DRGs associated with inflammation.
- •Blockade of pumps with ouabain while stimulating neuronal firing produced neuronal lysis.
- •Neurons not associated with inflammation did not lyse.
- •Lysis did not occur in animals that were not administered ouabain.
- Gould III, H.J.
- England J.D.
- Paul D.
2. Materials and methods
2.2 Drugs and antibodies
2.3 Immunohistochemistry and histology
2.3.1 Western blot analysis of Na+, K+-ATPase α subunits
22.214.171.124 Preparation of samples for Western blot analysis
126.96.36.199 Gel electrophoresis and immunoblotting
188.8.131.52 Thermal and mechanical stimulation
3.2 Western blot analysis
3.2.1 Effect of ouabain on DRG cells after inflammation
|Percent Cells dead|
|Saline — no stimulation||<1||<1|
|Saline — stimulation||<1||<1|
|Ouabain — no stimulation||3 ± 1.1||42 ± 10.4|
|Ouabain — stimulation||5 ± 1.2||78 ± 6.7|
- Gould III, H.J.
- England J.D.
- Paul D.
Conflict of Interest Statement
- Na, K-ATPase: isoform structure, function, and expression.J Bioenerg Biomembr. 1992; 24: 263-270
- Na+, K+-ATPase as a docking station: protein–protein complexes of the Na+, K+-ATPase.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013; 70: 205-222
- The electrogenic Na+, K+-pump in smooth muscle: physiologic and pharmacologic significance.Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 1980; 20: 129-149
- Isozymes of the Na-K-ATPase: heterogeneity in structure, diversity, in function.Am J Physiol. 1998; 275: F633-F650
- Rat vascular tissues express all three alpha-isoforms of Na+, K+-ATPase.Am J Physiol. 1994; 266: H350-H353
- A role for the beta-subunit in the expression of functional Na+, K+-ATPase in Xenopus oocytes.Am J Physiol. 1989; 257: C851-C858
- Na, K-ATPase β subunit isoform experession in the peripheral nervous system of the rat.Neurosci Lett. 1995; 183: 206-209
- Site-directed mutagenesis of a predicted cation binding site of Na, K-ATPase.Biochemistry. 1993; 832: 819-826
- The gamma subunit modulates Na+ and K+ affinity of the renal Na, K-ATPase.J Biol Chem. 1999; 274: 33183-33185
- Expression and functional role of the gamma subunit of the Na, K-ATPase in mammalian cells.J Biol Chem. 1999; 274: 12252-12256
- Functional Na+/K+ pump in rat dorsal root ganglia neurons.Neuroscience. 1999; 93: 723-729
- A quantitative description of membrane current and its application to conduction and excitation in nerve.J Physiol. 1952; 117: 500-544
- Regulation of Na+ channel distribution in the nervous system.Trends Neurosci. 2001; 24: 473-478
- Sodium channels in normal and pathological pain.Annu Rev Neurosci. 2010; 33: 325-347
- Rapid sodium channel augmentation in response to inflammation induced by complete Freund's adjuvant.Brain Res. 1998; 802: 69-74
- Development of inflammatory hyper-sensitivity and the augmentation of sodium channels in rat dorsal root ganglia.Brain Res. 1999; 824: 296-299
- The modulation of sodium channels during inflammation.in: Krames E. Reig E. The management of acute and chronic pain: the use of the “Tools of the Trade”. Proceedings of the Worldwide Pain Conference, San Francisco, USA, Monduzzi Editore, Balogna, Italy. 2000: 27-34
- A possible role for nerve growth factor in the augmentation of sodium channels in models of chronic pain.Brain Res. 2000; 854: 19-29
- Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent.J Biol Chem. 1951; 193: 265-275
- Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4.Nature. 1970; 227: 680-683
- Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1979; 76: 4350-4354
- Effect of Na+ on Na+, K+-ATPase alpha-subunit expression and Na+-pump activity in aortic smooth muscle cells.Eur J Pharmacol. 1998; 351: 113-119
- Sodium channels contribute to degeneration of dorsal root ganglion neuritis induced by mitochondrial dysfunction in an in vitro model of axonal injury.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 19250-19261
- Neuropathy-associated NaV1.7 variant I228M impairs integrity of dorsal root ganglion neuron axons.Ann Neurol. 2013; 73: 140-145
- Ionic mechanisms of anoxic injury in mammalian CNS white matter: role of Na+ channels and Na(+)–Ca2+ exchanger.J Neurosci. 1992; 76: 430-439
- Mechanisms of injury-induced calcium entry into peripheral nerve myelinated axons: role of reverse sodium–calcium exchange.J Neurochem. 1996; 66: 493-500
- Insulin is essential for the recovery from allodynia induced by complete Freund's adjuvant.Pain Med. 2010; 11: 1401-1410
- Painful diabetic neuropathy: current perspective on development and management from bench to bedside — a review.in: Gotsirize-Columbus N. Analgesics. New Research Nova, Hauppauge, NY2012: 39-74
- Pharmacological protection of CNS white matter during anoxia: actions of phenytoin, carbamazepine and diazepam.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1993; 266: 1549-1555
☆These studies were supported by the Louisiana Board of Regents Millennium Trust Health Excellency Fund grants HEF-(2000-05)-04 and HEF-(2001-06)-06 to DP.