- •We recorded the functional evolution in patients with definite sporadic ALS.
- •Patients included received dual treatment with lithium carbonate and valproate.
- •Survival in patients under the co-treatment was significantly increased.
- •Antioxidant defenses were improved and correlated with lithium levels.
- •Later adverse effects were the main cause of dropping out from the study.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Efficacy of lithium in combination with riluzole for treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 481-488https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(10)70068-5
- Oxidant-antioxidant imbalance in the erythrocytes of sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients correlates with the progression of disease.Neurochem Int. 2008; 52: 1284-1289https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuint.2008.01.009
- Controlled trial of riluzole in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. ALS/Riluzole Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 585-591
- Raised nitrate concentration and low SOD activity in the CSF of sporadic ALS patients.Neurochem Res. 2003; 28: 705-709
- Unraveling the enigma of selective vulnerability in neurodegeneration: motor neurons resistant to degeneration in ALS show distinct gene expression characteristics and decreased susceptibility to excitotoxicity.Acta Neuropathol. 2013; 125: 95-109https://doi.org/10.1007/s00401-012-1058-5
- El Escorial revisited: revised criteria for the diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord. 2000; 1: 293-299
- Lithium prevents excitotoxic cell death of motoneurons in organotypic slice cultures of spinal cord.Neuroscience. 2010; 165: 1353-1369https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2009.11.034
- The ALSFRS-R: a revised ALS functional rating scale that incorporates assessments of respiratory function. BDNF ALS study group (Phase III).J Neurol Sci. 1999; 169: 13-21
- Depletion of reduced glutathione enhances motor neuron degeneration in vitro and in vivo.Neuroscience. 2007; 144: 991-1003
- Molecular imaging of microglial activation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Plos One. 2012; 7: 52941ehttps://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0052941
- Differential time-course of the increase of antioxidant thiol-defenses in the acute phase after spinal cord injury in rats.Neurosci Lett. 2009; 452: 56-59https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2009.01.020
- Combined lithium and valproate treatment delays disease onset, reduces neurological deficits and prolongs survival in an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis mouse model.Neuroscience. 2008; 155: 567-572https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2008.06.040
- Lithium delays progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008; 105: 2052-2057https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0708022105
- Cadmium levels in maternal, cord and newborn blood in Mexico City.Toxicol Lett. 1997; 91: 57-61
- Progression in ALS is not linear but is curvilinear.J Neurol. 2010; 257: 1713-1717https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-010-5609-1
- Effect of dietary selenium on erythrocyte and liver glutathione peroxidase in the rat.J Nutr. 1974; 104: 580-587
- Measurement of protein thiol groups and glutathione in plasma.Methods Enzymol. 1994; 233: 380-385
- Failure of protein quality control in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006; 1762: 1038-1050
- Progression rate of ALSFRS-R at time of diagnosis predicts survival time in ALS.Neurology. 2006; 66: 265-267
- A confirmatory dose-ranging study of riluzole in ALS. ALS/Riluzole Study Group-II.Neurology. 1996; 47: S242-S250
- Synergistic neuroprotective effects of lithium and valproic acid or other histone deacetylase inhibitors in neurons: roles of glycogen synthase kinase-3 inhibition.J Neurosci. 2008; 28: 2576-2588https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5467-07.2008
- Protein measurement with the folin-phenol reagent.J Biol Chem. 1951; 193: 265-275
- Phase II screening trial of lithium carbonate in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis Examining a more efficient trial design.Neurology. 2011; 77: 973-979https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0b013e31822dc7a5
- Increased mitochondrial oxidative damage in patients with sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.J Neurol Sci. 2008; 267: 66-69
- Randomized sequential trial of valproic acid in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 2009; 66: 227-234https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.21620
- The effect of supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids on markers of oxidative stress in elderly exposed to PM2.5. Environ.Health Perspect. 2008; 116: 1237-1242https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.10578
- Potential therapeutic applications of autophagy.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2007; 6: 304-312
- Impairment of fast axonal transport in the proximal axons of anterior horn neurons in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Neurology. 1996; 47: 535-540
- Impaired oxidative metabolism and lipid peroxidation in exercising muscle from ALS patients.Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord. 2002; 3: 57-62
- Creatinine versus specific gravity-adjusted urinary cadmium concentrations.Biomarkers. 2005; 10: 117-126
- Autophagy activators rescue and alleviate pathogenesis of a mouse model with proteinopathies of the TAR DNA-binding protein 43.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012; 109: 15024-15029https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1206362109
- Synergistic effects of GDNF and VEGF on lifespan and disease progression in a familial ALS rat model.Mol. Ther. 2013; 21: 1602-1610https://doi.org/10.1038/mt.2013.108