Mixed dementia (MD), i.e., the coexistence of Alzheimer's disease (AD) and cerebrovascular disease (CVD), is a common dementia subtype. Few studies have attempted to establish the cognitive profiles of mild–moderate MD and compare it to the profiles of AD using a comprehensive neuropsychological test battery. We aimed to establish the neuropsychological profile of mild–moderate MD in relation to mild–moderate AD.
Patients with consensus diagnoses of MD and AD of mild–moderate severity (Clinical Dementia Rating score of 1–2) were recruited from a memory clinic. Cognitive performance was measured by a formal neuropsychological battery covering domains of attention, language, verbal and visual memory, visuoconstruction, visuomotor speed and executive function. Cognitive domain scores are z-scores calculated using the mean and SDs of the AD group. ANCOVAs with age and education as covariates were employed to examine differences in mean score difference of cognitive domains and subtests between patients with MD and AD.
151 patients were recruited with the majority of AD (n = 96, 63.6%) and a minority of MD (n = 55, 36.4%). There were no significant differences in the demographic characteristics of patients with MD and AD. However, patients with MD were significantly more impaired than AD patients in global cognitive composite, attention and visuoconstruction (global cognitive composite: −0.32 ± 0.98 vs 0 ± 1, p = 0.011; attention: −0.32 ± 0.90 vs 0 ± 1, p = 0.013; visuoconstruction: −0.27 ± 0.99 vs 0 ± 1, p = 0.024, respectively).
The neuropsychological profile of patients with MD of mild–moderate severity is characterized by a poorer global performance, as well as attention and visuoconstruction than those with AD of mild–moderate severity.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mixed dementia: Alzheimer's and cerebrovascular disease.Int Psychogeriatr. 2003; 15: 39-46
- A population-based study of dementia in 85-year-olds.N Engl J Med. 1993; 328: 153-158
- Brain infarction and the clinical expression of Alzheimer disease.J Am Med Assoc. 1997; 277: 813-817
- Vascular dementia: diagnostic criteria for research studies. Report of the NINDS-AIREN International Work Group.Neurology. 1993; 43: 250-260
- Mixed dementia: epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment.Prog Geriatr. 2002; 50: 1431-1438
- Clinical significance of silent cerebral infarctions in patients with Alzheimer disease.Cog Behav Neurol. 2007; 20: 93-98
- Profiles of neuropsychological impairment in autopsy-defined Alzheimer's disease and cerebrovascular disease.Brain. 2007; 130: 731-739
- Comparative evolution of Alzheimer disease, vascular dementia, and mixed dementia.Arch Neurol. 1997; 54: 697-703
- Neuropsychological differentiation of small vessel disease, Alzheimer's disease and mixed dementia.J Neurol Sci. 2002; 203–204: 17-22
- Differences exist in the cognitive profile of mild Alzheimer's disease and subcortical ischemic vascular dementia.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2009; 27: 399-403
- Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report.J Psychiatr Res. 1983; 17: 37-49
- The Clinical Dementia Rating (CDR): current version and scoring rules.Neurology. 1993; 43: 2412-2414
- “Mini Mental State”—a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- The Montreal Cognitive Assessment, MoCA: a brief screening tool for mild cognitive impairment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 695-699
- Pilot validation of a customized neuropsychological battery in elderly Singaporeans.Neurol J SE Asia. 1997; 2: 123
- Wechsler Memory Scale-Revised.Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, San Antonio, TX1997
- Manual for the repeatable cognitive perceptual-motor battery.Axon, Clinton Township, MI1979
- Boston Naming Test: shortened versions for use in Alzheimer's disease.J Gerontol. 1992; 47: 154-158
- The set test as an aid to the detection of dementia in old people.Br J Psychiatry. 1973; 123: 467-470
- Clock drawing in Alzheimer's disease. A novel measure of dementia severity.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1989; 37: 725-729
- Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-Revised.Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, New York1981
- Studies in cognition and rehabilitation in hemiplegia.University Medical Center, Rehabilitation Monograph, New York1974
- The maze test and clinical psychology.Pacific Books, Palo Alto, CA1959
- Symbol digit modalities test.in: Services W.P. Symbol digit modalities test. 1973 (Los Angeles, CA)
- Cognitive testing of elderly Chinese from selected community clubs in Singapore.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1997; 26: 271-277
- The FAB: a frontal assessment battery at bedside.Neurology. 2000; 55: 1621-1626
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Disorders.4th ed. American Psychiatric Association, Washington DC1994
- Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease: report of the NINCDS-ADRDA work group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Service Task Force on Alzheimer's disease.Neurology. 1984; 34: 939-944
- The diagnosis of dementia due to Alzheimer's disease: recommendations from the National Institute of Aging-Alzheimer's Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Dement. 2011; 7: 263-269
- A new rating scale for age-related white matter changes applicable to MRI and CT.Stroke. 2001; 32: 1318-1322
Published online: August 26, 2013
Accepted: May 10, 2013
Received in revised form: April 18, 2013
Received: January 31, 2013
© 2013 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.