We evaluated the safety and efficacy of rituximab in seven Chinese patients with neuromyelitis optica (NMO) or neuromyelitis optica syndrome disorders (NMOSD) in a tertiary medical center in Hong Kong. After rituximab induction, five patients became relapse-free and two had 50% reduction of relapses over a median follow-up of 24 months. No further deterioration of functional status, measured by the Expanded Disability Status Scale, was observed in all patients. Infusions were well tolerated except in two patients who developed transient hypotension. Rituximab reduced clinical relapse and prevented neurological deterioration in a small cohort of Chinese patients with NMO or NMOSD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- EFNS guidelines on diagnosis and management of neuromyelitis optica.Eur J Neurol. 2010; 17: 1019-1032
- Rituximab inhibits B-cell receptor signaling.Blood. 2010; 115: 985-994
- Treatment of neuromyelitis optica with rituximab: retrospective analysis of 25 patients.Arch Neurol. 2008; 65: 1443-1448
- Impact of rituximab on relapse rate and disability in neuromyelitis optica.Mult Scler. 2011; 17: 1225-1230
- Rituximab for relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 12 ([Electronic publication ahead of print 2011/12/14]): 1-16
- B-cell depletion with rituximab in relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 676-688
- Brain abnormalities in neuromyelitis optica.Arch Neurol. 2006; 63: 390-396
- Brain involvement in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Arch Neurol. 2011; 68: 1432-1439
- Interferon beta treatment in neuromyelitis optica: increase in relapses and aquaporin 4 antibody titers.Arch Neurol. 2010; 67: 1016-1017
Published online: October 04, 2012
Accepted: September 18, 2012
Received in revised form: September 18, 2012
Received: July 14, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.